CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 12, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #23,041 of 25,883
I just want to say, today I randomly thought about how I owned the DAVE, brand new for few months, power supply failed within 1 year, and warranty result was that it was not chords fault but mine (some form of neglect on my part) when I just unopened unit brand new, placed it on rack, and powered on...

Just thinking about this pisses me off to this very day... and to think I was a chord fan boy for a while too makes me squirm.

Just felt like it was a slap in the face when warranty did not honor their part when it was within a single year too... 5 years my butt.

I came back to state this because I thought I was a one off isolated incident but my dealer had to reignite my anger today just now telling me that many chord claims are being denied and this brought me to fumes hearing this, as I now know I was just part of that large bucket of unsolved claims.
You make some serious claims there.
Are you able to provide more context for them, which could help other Chord owners to not enter the same accusation of 'neglect' scenario?

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #23,042 of 25,883
I just want to say, today I randomly thought about how I owned the DAVE, brand new for few months, power supply failed within 1 year, and warranty result was that it was not chords fault but mine (some form of neglect on my part) when I just unopened unit brand new, placed it on rack, and powered on...

Just thinking about this pisses me off to this very day... and to think I was a chord fan boy for a while too makes me squirm.

Just felt like it was a slap in the face when warranty did not honor their part when it was within a single year too... 5 years my butt.

I came back to state this because I thought I was a one off isolated incident but my dealer had to reignite my anger today just now telling me that many chord claims are being denied and this brought me to fumes hearing this, as I now know I was just part of that large bucket of unsolved claims.
Weird its the first bad service comment i read.

The last service read was a member here who had a blown capacitor while showing in this thread his opened Dave for a Farad modification that would certainly mean warranty loss, still Chord repaired his board without charge.

I previously bought a Questyle CMA400i DAC/Amp after reading rave after rave about its quality. When i had my unit the air in its thread became toxic as Questyle's service became non existant ..users got zero reply to service requests let alone get warranty.. some even never saw their units back after sending in..

Still to this day i love my unit as i dont blame the engineers that created it.

.. but ofcourse i understand your point..

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #23,043 of 25,883

Not sure what the situation is over there, but this does go against everything I've read so far, and my personal experience. No issues with Dave, but they did replace a weirdly acting Mojo within a week. The power supply itself is so cheap and so easy to replace (as evidenced by others), I can't imagine a world where that behavior would make business sense.
Not sure what kind of neglect could lead to ruining a smps.

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #23,044 of 25,883
I think we should be careful what is a bad dealer, bad distributer and what is Chords fault. I had the bad IR window in msc. After more than 1 year I had not gotten help, dealer was blaming distributer who was blaming Chord. I asked John Franks about the delay situation a few day later a new IR window arrived in the mail and now there is a new distributer (unknown if this was related to my case).

Edit: Just to be clear, I dont know if the original delay was due to the dealer, the distributer or Chord

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #23,045 of 25,883
we should be careful what is a bad dealer, bad distributer and what is Chords fault
+1

I know a guy who was told by the dealer that he would have to pay to repair his Hugo 2. After direct contact with Chord, it turned out that Chord would fix it for free. The DAC was repaired (new board and battery), owner didn’t pay anything.

No idea why this is happening.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #23,046 of 25,883
I bought my dealers ex demo Dave. After a few months there was a slight ticking noise from the rh channel, just like a tube warming up, which disappeared when it did warm up! It went to Chord for repair and on it’s journey back to my dealer the couriers lost it! Chord supplied a brand new one as replacement.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #23,047 of 25,883
You make some serious claims there.
Are you able to provide more context for them, which could help other Chord owners to not enter the same accusation of 'neglect' scenario?
Yeah some serious claims for sure, I do not know how to help other owners avoid "neglect" because I baby the hell out of everything I own.

All I know is that my dealer also mentioned to me that he has many warranty claims being denied as well, imagine the shock I had when my personal unit failed within a year, but not only that, get denied warranty claim on a over 10K plus product (back then the retail was not 14k though)

They wanted to charge about 2 to 3k to fix product, which I was forced to pay, but as I was about to pay it, I told my dealer to just buy it off me (of course at heavy HEAVY discount) and I moved on with extreme bitter feelings and never looked back.

Regarding Chord honoring their future warranty claims, I think they will try to when reading posts like these expressing discontent, or they will not stay in business.

I am not about to give another chance to try to find out. Already a 10k plus unit failing within 1 year is annoying enough, to be denied the claim was extremely upsetting.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #23,048 of 25,883
Yeah some serious claims for sure, I do not know how to help other owners avoid "neglect" because I baby the hell out of everything I own.

All I know is that my dealer also mentioned to me that he has many warranty claims being denied as well, imagine the shock I had when my personal unit failed within a year, but not only that, get denied warranty claim on a over 10K plus product (back then the retail was not 14k though)

They wanted to charge about 2 to 3k to fix product, which I was forced to pay, but as I was about to pay it, I told my dealer to just buy it off me (of course at heavy HEAVY discount) and I moved on with extreme bitter feelings and never looked back.

Regarding Chord honoring their future warranty claims, I think they will try to when reading posts like these expressing discontent, or they will not stay in business.

I am not about to give another chance to try to find out. Already a 10k plus unit failing within 1 year is annoying enough, to be denied the claim was extremely upsetting.
Did you ever get any feedback about what was faulty with your Dave?

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #23,049 of 25,883
I wonder if there was anything to say this was Chord and not actually the dealer.

It’s pretty much the opposite of anything else I have seen online.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #23,050 of 25,883
Does anyone still spin CDs? I am thinking about going back to owning a CD transport after buying a Roon license and streaming my music for the past three years.
My question: would you rather buy a transport only and connect it to DAVE, or buy a player that includes a DAC? Any recommendations?

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #23,051 of 25,883
Did you ever get any feedback about what was faulty with your Dave?
They just said my power supply fried and somehow it was my fault.

Now sure there could be a small chance my dealer was just pulling my chain but given that years has passed and suddenly out of no where my dealer reminded me recent that he currently has many chord claims that are unsolved and denied, it leads me to believe that most likely it was not dealer neglect few years back.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #23,052 of 25,883
Does anyone still spin CDs? I am thinking about going back to owning a CD transport after buying a Roon license and streaming my music for the past three years.
My question: would you rather buy a transport only and connect it to DAVE, or buy a player that includes a DAC? Any recommendations?
Don't know about the DAVE, but I have found using a Bluray player as an optical input to Mojo and Hugo2, can sound better than streaming for some music.
I think Shanling announced at one of the recent canjams that they will start shipping a transport in a few months time.
Maybe not in the Blu2 class, but I think they didn't mention specs or price in more depth.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #23,053 of 25,883
Yes. Regularly. I’m currently using an ‘old Skool’ Pioneer PD-S904 Stable Platter which serves me well. Connected via Optical. If I had my way again, I’d choose a pure transport from Audiolab, either a CDT 8000 or the newly released 9000 series.

Attachments

• A573D7F2-F3B2-4DBE-B952-D42E24097E8F.jpeg
    A573D7F2-F3B2-4DBE-B952-D42E24097E8F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B60EB149-CC31-4294-A77F-3B23DE700A1C.jpeg
    B60EB149-CC31-4294-A77F-3B23DE700A1C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 12, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #23,054 of 25,883
I've been using a Cyrus XR Signature transport for some time and it's good. With the benefit of hindsight I'd have bought the Chord CD player with the built in M Scaler. Don't think there is any point buying a CD player with a DAC unless like me you have an old school HDCD collection and need a player that re-plays HDCD's

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #23,055 of 25,883
I have similar experiences with repair of Mojo 1 as well, here in Dubai. My Mojo stopped charging and when I contact Chord they point me to Dubai Audio local shop for repair.

Issue with main board was identified and I paid USD 125 for replacement. Even after 3 months of payment it not done. It may not be issue from Chord side, but still if unit breaks, there are rumbles ahead.

My experience is still worst with Astell Kern, they do not respond any mail, I have AK240 as paper weight for past 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back