CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #22,608 of 25,850
I like listening to this box set, 6 cds long. Trance, proper trance, not cheesy euro beeps.
It’s a pleasure to spend my working day - in a trance - speaking the lyrics like poetry all the way - down tempo - mad tempo - just the best way to go about your work.

A52C44E7-741B-44AE-9B10-04362B5A9FCD.jpeg

Underworld - drift - series 1 - for people with eyesight issues.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #22,610 of 25,850
Well said, I'm just catching up so my posts are outdated... Correct, the ferrites will make it impossible for the current clamp to measure true leakage current. The other two measurements are good information though, and your idea to measure a part of the cable without ferrites is good. This clamp will measure overall current, being that it covers all of the wires, line, neutral and ground. Having a current registered means the line current is not equal to return or neutral and ground. This is what leakage current is. The current going in is finding another path to return that is not on the same power cable or circuit. It is going through another component in the system that means a big source of noise. In a perfect world, every component would have the same return current as supply current on the same supply cable, PS, and not force current through another component (leakage current) to find a return path.

I work in the avionics industry and leakage current can be a critical requirement from some customers and regulations. 30 micro Amps of leakage current when we're talking about supplying hundreds of amps in 3 phase is sometimes a task to keep under. It really highlights power and return problems.
I am doing some research on old posts in relation to my quest to reduce noise.
I'm starting a core renovation of my house, including the complete electrical system and I was wondering what I can do in my office/listening room to improve the quality of the power fed to my Dave and other boxes.
The grounding of the system will be completely redone as well.

Any ideas?

PS hurry up with your answers fellas, If wife finds out I'm discussing this with the electrician I get a divorce

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #22,611 of 25,850
I'm starting a core renovation of my house, including the complete electrical system and I was wondering what I can do in my office/listening room to improve the quality of the power fed to my Dave and other boxes.

Any ideas?

PS hurry up with your answers fellas, If wife finds out I'm discussing this with the electrician I get a divorce
I added a ground to my house. I was advised to run an 8 ft long solid copper tube ( I don’t remember the thickness, but I am sure they are standard) into the ground and also ( if you can) run another 8 ft long solid copper tube horizontal to the foundation feet deep ( may be 6 ft. If possible). Once the electrician does this he can ground the electrical panel to these grounds. They should help making your electrical power quieter. Also, see if the electrician can run “ home runs” to each outlet powering your audio system and visual as well if possible. By using continuous wire back to the electrical panel will also help lower any noise.

When they did this they found the original ground for my house which looked like a thin piece of aluminum only a couple of feet long.

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #22,612 of 25,850

Any ideas?

As far I know, Dave has an Switched mode Powersupply and galvanic isolation on USB.
Various outlets have measured Dave, only to find lowest noise.
So, upgrade, talk to electricians regarding safety, and don't worry about Dave.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #22,613 of 25,850
I added a ground to my house. I was advised to run an 8 ft long solid copper tube ( I don’t remember the thickness, but I am sure they are standard) into the ground and also ( if you can) run another 8 ft long solid copper tube horizontal to the foundation feet deep ( may be 6 ft. If possible). Once the electrician does this he can ground the electrical panel to these grounds. They should help making your electrical power quieter. Also, see if the electrician can run “ home runs” to each outlet powering your audio system and visual as well if possible. By using continuous wire back to the electrical panel will also help lower any noise.

When they did this they found the original ground for my house which looked like a thin piece of aluminum only a couple of feet long.
In the UK the old style of earthing was that each house used to have its own ground, often a ground rod as you mention or the house earth was connected to an incoming metal water mains pipe or gas pipe. However that is now superseded by a permanently maintained earth provided by the power company to each house on the incoming power company mains cable (and indeed most incoming utilities are in uPVC pipes anyway). The problem then for tinkerers playing with their own ground rod style earth is that if there is ever a fault on the power company earth there is the distinct risk that a whole neighbourhood’s earthing will route itself through your diy earth rod system with dire consequences for you, your hifi system and your house. I’m not saying don’t do it, just be aware of the risks involved.

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #22,614 of 25,850
In the UK the old style of earthing was that each house used to have its own ground, often a ground rod as you mention or the house earth was connected to an incoming metal water mains pipe or gas pipe. However that is now superseded by a permanently maintained earth provided by the power company to each house on the incoming power company mains cable (and indeed most incoming utilities are in uPVC pipes anyway). The problem then for tinkerers playing with their own ground rod style earth is that if there is ever a fault on the power company earth there is the distinct risk that a whole neighbourhood’s earthing will route itself through your diy earth rod system with dire consequences for you, your hifi system and your house. I’m not saying don’t do it, just be aware of the risks involved.
Well said, the same danger not only in the UK.
There are products that make this grounging issue safe.

https://www.russandrews.com/eu/system-grounding/

http://www.puritanaudiolabs.com/products/ground-master/

I have added two ground rods connected 20 mtrs from each other. Both are 4 mtrs deep.

I did a quick A/ B with a 16 mm earth wire connected to an earth rod connected to a DC4 ARC6 without the above device. Instantaneous positive result so went on and purchased a saftey device.

Worth trying IMHO

Edit
This maybe worth reading.
https://www.russandrews.com/images/pdf/GroundingV6.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #22,615 of 25,850
In the US we are all individually grounded in my area. I have to believe the electrician should know what is best though if you discuss it with them. They have to know all the local code/rules etc. Tks.

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #22,616 of 25,850

Absolutely, I still have interests in the construction industry , one of my electricians confirmed what you said above, it would be inadvisable to connect my HiFi to it's own separate earth as most modern properties in the UK are earthed using PME or similar.
After some research and further discussions with the electrician I decided to ground my pre and power amplifiers with a Russ Andrews Earth Router, this device is connected to the ground screws of the pre and power ams with ground wire and then simply plugged into a spare wall outlet.
I freely admit I was a little sceptical, but Russ Andrews offers a 60 day return policy, hence I decided to give it a go. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the result, both resolution and sound staging were noticeably improved, particularly the depth of soundstage.

Of course this is my experience in my system, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #22,617 of 25,850
Absolutely, I still have interests in the construction industry , one of my electricians confirmed what you said above, it would be inadvisable to connect my HiFi to it's own separate earth as most modern properties in the UK are earthed using PME or similar.
After some research and further discussions with the electrician I decided to ground my pre and power amplifiers with a Russ Andrews Earth Router, this device is connected to the ground screws of the pre and power ams with ground wire and then simply plugged into a spare wall outlet.
I freely admit I was a little sceptical, but Russ Andrews offers a 60 day return policy, hence I decided to give it a go. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the result, both resolution and sound staging were noticeably improved, particularly the depth of soundstage.

Of course this is my experience in my system, you pays your money and takes your choice.
If you are worried about ground loop noise, just disconnect ground from all your hifi devices! Sounds silly, don't it? But it isn't,
All you loose, is a bit of safety, that is, should there be a major blow up inside your device, AND you be unlucky enough for the fuse not to blow, AND the live wire touch the metal casing AND your house wiring not have an RCD, Then, and only then if you touch the metal casing you can get a serious shock!
Otherwise, no noise interfering!
A lot of things have to go wrong at the same time, for that to happen, So, is there a risk? Sure!
But I take it, if I thought I was having ground noise interfering.
The above is the easiest way! But there are safer ways to lift the ground connection AND keep electrical safety intact, using a pair of parallel diodes.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #22,618 of 25,850
I added the ground rod not for hum but as an experiment to my Dave system, it was dead quite before the addition of the ground rod.

With the extra ground rod and saftey device I gained IMO better SQ.

The earth wire is a return path for live to your consumer unit in case of a fault.
Upgrade you ground rod by all means for the house but please do not earth your HiFi to an additional and or ground rod without some saftey device.

I strongly suggest investigating the use of ground rods, Mike Holt.

Edit link change
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...CBD360409665659F8088CBD360409665&&FORM=VRDGAR

There are many videos from the same person but the link above is a starter.

Or

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Grounding+Myths+NEC+Mike+Holt&&view=detail&mid=31543A2E0A90E5252FB531543A2E0A90E5252FB5&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=Grounding+Myths+NEC+Mike+Holt&FORM=VDMHRS

Many have been electrocuted by ground rods being fitted where they should not be !

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #22,619 of 25,850
I'm using the Nordost QKore grounding system with great success. Of course, we've already established I have crappy mains, so perhaps YMMV, but grounding is now definitely on my todo list as necessary for any future hi-fi builds.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #22,620 of 25,850

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back