CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #21,633 of 25,857
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #21,638 of 25,857
My reaction everytime amir posts one of his reviews. It's literally comedy reading what he writes.

'It is bested easily by DACs at $150'

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #21,639 of 25,857
It is a couple of months since I changed the TT2 with the Dave, I use it in a 2 channel system. I like the sound result a lot, it gives for me the "home" effect. Accuracy, detail, timbre, and as you know better than me ....... Premise: I have a very normal electrical system at home, nothing dedicated, I use the supplied power cables. I noticed that during the working hours the sound gets worse and not a little. From 8 pm to 8 am and on weekends, especially on Sundays the sound result is simply wonderful. What do you advise me to do? Can a mains filter help me?

Can someone please tell me how can I show my devices on messages?

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #21,641 of 25,857
I’ve seen no review of his own extortionate amplifiers…..why would that be….
Who cares. He runs some basic tests and ranks dacs based on dynamic range. You can safely ignore his listening impressions and conclusions and focus just on the test results. Good results don’t mean good reproduction and bad results mean there are engineering issues and may or may not be audible.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #21,642 of 25,857
It is a couple of months since I changed the TT2 with the Dave, I use it in a 2 channel system. I like the sound result a lot, it gives for me the "home" effect. Accuracy, detail, timbre, and as you know better than me ....... Premise: I have a very normal electrical system at home, nothing dedicated, I use the supplied power cables. I noticed that during the working hours the sound gets worse and not a little. From 8 pm to 8 am and on weekends, especially on Sundays the sound result is simply wonderful. What do you advise me to do? Can a mains filter help me?

Sounds about right. You can try various filter, isolation transformer, AC regenerator and dedicated switch or any combination. YMMV.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #21,643 of 25,857
Who cares. He runs some basic tests and ranks dacs based on dynamic range. You can safely ignore his listening impressions and conclusions and focus just on the test results. Good results don’t mean good reproduction and bad results mean there are engineering issues and may or may not be audible.

It is very naive to think you can focus on the test results of a single person without question. If someone was on a quest to slay big hifi companies, fleecing people, why would they not measure thier own high priced amplifiers? 🤔
There’s a story behind the story here but it’s not mine to tell.

This is only stereo equipment at the end of the day, no need to get too tribal about it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #21,644 of 25,857

A mains filter might have only a marginal effect as these are passive devices. You probably need a mains regenerator. This takes the mains, in crude terms in effect basically using it to power a high-quality oscillator which is effectively used as the input of a power amplifier. Your kit is then fed mains voltage and frequency from that amplifier.

The mains itself in general has three major defects: high frequency random noise picked up from external sources, distortion in what is supposed to be a sinusoidal waveform, and drifting frequency.

The first is omnipresent, the others are a function of the loading on the grid. It seems that as you have noticed a degradation in sound quality at certain times of the day only then it is the last two that are most likely bothering your system.

To fix these a regenerator is the way to go. They tend to be a lot more expensive than conditioners/filters.

You can also consider a DIY battery and inverter. That way you can have a go at nailing all three problems.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #21,645 of 25,857
Tap on your profile icon at the top of the page and then tap "signature" - it should be easy from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back