CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #21,061 of 25,860
I tend to go somewhat further i have in fact 3 meraki cisco switches, two are upgraded with internal capacitors and indeed external farad power supplies and both have external oxco clock. These two are in cascade before the streamer and the 3 one is with the router. Both are connected indeed by two way class fiber and all switches have the fsp modules. The casade trick was found to have the most gain audio wise (audiophool in holland did alot of testing and sells these upgrade) you can do it yourself or by him. For some reason sounds get more stage and depth. Building the second cascade one still, so on the picture is test setup.

@dusty.ro cables do matter and switches also 😁.
Excelent stuff!!! I love it when people optimize the s*it out of their system.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #21,062 of 25,860
If you will allow me I'll talk a bit about network cables. I tried a few and the ones that made a sizable difference were the ones made out of silver. I decided to go with Siltech Classic Legend. I also tried Neotech and various Crystal Connect ones, including the TOTL Monet one, I still like the Siltech better.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #21,063 of 25,860
Anyone running the SFP switch from a wireless BT Disc or Mesh? Any comments or known issues with doing this?

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #21,064 of 25,860
I didn't want to get into it, but yes, the network switch, the power supply and the network cable do matter. I've got a lot of backlash for talking about cables on head-fi so I try to keep it to a minimum.
Agreed, like I say though, my reference is the sound quality when my network is completely disconnected. I achieve this by starting a local file to playing and then pulling the network cable out of the back of my streamer.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #21,065 of 25,860
If you will allow me I'll talk a bit about network cables. I tried a few and the ones that made a sizable difference were the ones made out of silver. I decided to go with Siltech Classic Legend. I also tried Neotech and various Crystal Connect ones, including the TOTL Monet one, I still like the Siltech better.
I readed that somewer also this week about the silver in the cable. Audiophool has the pink faun ethernet cable and i think there is also silver in there. Gonna google about that. One sec😁

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #21,066 of 25,860
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #21,067 of 25,860
Agreed, like I say though, my reference is the sound quality when my network is completely disconnected. I achieve this by starting a local file to playing and then pulling the network cable out of the back of my streamer.
:grin: Do you have the streamer near you and do this for every track? I'm not contesting the result but this is quite extreme.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #21,068 of 25,860
Correct, did that when all was in and no change.. but cant operate the streamer without but indeed with just the rj45 in the streamer it gets duller. And after the three …. Its no change what so ever. Got me these merakis for 100,- on ebay. The lps’s and modifications are a bit more expensive but the fsp modules and cables are really cheap.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #21,069 of 25,860
:grin: Do you have the streamer near you and do this for every track? I'm not contesting the result but this is quite extreme.
I asume you mean the ethernet cable for your last meter to the streamer not the cat6A

What legend do you have, only 380D i see now.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #21,070 of 25,860
Not trying to mock you guys or anything.
Just asking.
Have you tried wifi instead going crazy with optical isolation network reclockers etc?
I don't want to think now about my network optimization but I know that it's inevitable at some point. Hence my question.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #21,071 of 25,860
Correct, did that when all was in and no change.. but cant operate the streamer without but indeed with just the rj45 in the streamer it gets duller. And after the three …. Its no change what so ever. Got me these merakis for 100,- on ebay. The lps’s and modifications are a bit more expensive but the fsp modules and cables are really cheap.
I’m not quite sure I understand your methodology. Cannot you play the locally stored files without the streamer connected? Also, in passing, what software do you use for playback?

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #21,072 of 25,860
Not trying to mock you guys or anything.
Just asking.
Have you tried wifi instead going crazy with optical isolation network reclockers etc?
I don't want to think now about my network optimization but I know that it's inevitable at some point. Hence my question.
You mean a wifi extender on the switch to the streamer. That would indeed take over the glas section.

But my last 2 meraki’s also reclock’s and the clean power seems to be somewhat good for that last meter to the streamer.

But elborate i always want to learn more and try

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #21,073 of 25,860
I’m not quite sure I understand your methodology. Cannot you play the locally stored files without the streamer connected? Also, in passing, what software do you use for playback?
My streamer plays perfectly without internet got 8Tb on ssd but to operate the aurender i need a local ethernet connection. But i can pull it out on the fly no problem to test the sound.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #21,074 of 25,860
You mean a wifi extender on the switch to the streamer. That would indeed take over the glas section.
Yes, just get rid of all cables and additional power supplies in the chain. As i believe that's what you are hearing, it's just noise it's spectrum and quantity. But that's just my big guess.

Like @Triode User said. When he let his streamer to buffer the song and he disconnect the cable it's the best quality. So the only thing he is getting rid of is cable so connection to potential noise source.

Edit. Maybe not wifi extender but use wifi that is built in streamer, some streamers have that.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #21,075 of 25,860
Edit. Maybe not wifi extender but use wifi that is built in streamer, some streamers have that.
I’m not a great fan of wifi. Why would one knowingly put a radio frequency transmitter inside a streamer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back