CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #21,047 of 25,860
This week I sold my Rockna Wavelight and got the Dave. I had the Chord Dave in for a review, spent a month listening to it and in the end I couldn't let it go back. I found this thread very helpful, because of you I found out about the PSU upgrade, which I definitely wanna do. Not sure if I should get the MScaller first. I'll ask for one for a review and decide then, I guess. I'll just leave a photo of my setup bellow.

IMG_0242.jpeg
Excellent.... a Lego collector.... welcome.... I'll be using my Lego with my photos next time ... very effective... well done!

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #21,048 of 25,860
By the way.... I like those Sandwich makers on the left hand side.... awesome! 🤣

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #21,049 of 25,860
But seriously.... an awesome set up you have there.... I'm envious... Happy Listening 🎶 😁

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #21,052 of 25,860
Why is that? Do people around here do not like this combo? I find the OOR slightly warm and that creates a good combo with Dave. I'm a sucker for great dynamics, fast transients, details, large stage, separation and imaging. Dave beats the Wavelight on all categories. Not to say that Wavelight is bad, it's a great dac, but Dave is another league.
Those sonic properties you described is why I prefer the Dave over a lot of other DAC's.

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #21,053 of 25,860
This week I sold my Rockna Wavelight and got the Dave.

IMG_0242.jpeg

Nice setup👍 welcome to the club!
I see you have your network optically isolated.

You mainly listen to headphones?
Isnt that the hard to drive Susvara?

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #21,054 of 25,860
Nice setup👍 welcome to the club!
I see you have your network optically isolated.

You mainly listen to headphones?
Isnt that the hard to drive Susvara?
Thank you. Yes, I isolated the network signal using an optical conversion. There was a discussion about this on a local forum and it made me curious. Since the investment wasn't that big I gave it a go and boy did that make a big difference. So now I'm a believer. The Susvara are a pain to drive but the Ferrum OOR does the job. I also tried the iFi Pro iCAN Signature, Flux Volot and the Burson Soloist 3X GT and decided on the Ferrum OOR. I mainly listen to headphones, but I also have a stereo setup which I want to improve. I'm currently selling it so I can get something better.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #21,055 of 25,860
Thank you. Yes, I isolated the network signal using an optical conversion. There was a discussion about this on a local forum and it made me curious. Since the investment wasn't that big I gave it a go and boy did that make a big difference. So now I'm a believer. The Susvara are a pain to drive but the Ferrum OOR does the job. I also tried the iFi Pro iCAN Signature, Flux Volot and the Burson Soloist 3X GT and decided on the Ferrum OOR. I mainly listen to headphones, but I also have a stereo setup which I want to improve. I'm currently selling it so I can get something better.
Can you go more in detail how you isolated the network signal? I would like to learn. Thanks

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #21,056 of 25,860
I am using two cisco meraki ms220-8p switched and added an fsp optical module. So ones by my router and the other near my streamer and between then glasfiber connection. This seperates the router and all that stuf galvanic from my audio and streamer. They also got there own phase power group. But there are many roads that lead to rome.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #21,057 of 25,860
I am using two cisco meraki ms220-8p switched and added an fsp optical module. So ones by my router and the other near my streamer and between then glasfiber connection. This seperates the router and all that stuf galvanic from my audio and streamer. They also got there own phase power group. But there are many roads that lead to rome.
Like this. Network cable comes from the router into a Ubiquiti switch. The switch has SFP modules, so I added one for an optical connection. From the SFP module I run an opical cable to a TPLink media converter which recieves the optical cable and outputs a regular RJ45 connection. From this connection I run a RJ45 network cable to the streamer. In my case the switch and the media converter are powered by a liniar power supply with 12V and 9V. The optical cable is a duplex, meaning one for transmission and one for receiving. The optical port on the media converter supports this configuration. This is cheap to do, something like $150. The power supply is $500 though (Keces P3).

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #21,058 of 25,860
My network is also fsp optical isolated from my audio system but even so I found that using an Innuos PhoenixNET helped even more. ‘Helped‘ being defined as getting the sound as being near as possible to the same sound as playing locally stored audio files without the network connected at all.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #21,059 of 25,860
My network is also fsp optical isolated from my audio system but even so I found that using an Innuos PhoenixNET helped even more. ‘Helped‘ being defined as getting the sound as being near as possible to the same sound as playing locally stored audio files without the network connected at all.
I didn't want to get into it, but yes, the network switch, the power supply and the network cable do matter. I've got a lot of backlash for talking about cables on head-fi so I try to keep it to a minimum.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #21,060 of 25,860
I tend to go somewhat further i have in fact 3 meraki cisco switches, two are upgraded with internal capacitors and indeed external farad power supplies and both have external oxco clock. These two are in cascade before the streamer and the 3 one is with the router. Both are connected indeed by two way class fiber and all switches have the fsp modules. The casade trick was found to have the most gain audio wise (audiophool in holland did alot of testing and sells these upgrades) you can do it yourself or have it done by him. For some reason sounds get more stage and depth. Building the second cascade one still, so on the picture is test setup.

@dusty.ro cables do matter and switches also 😁.

Attachments

• BAFC70D0-FF92-4A05-9074-024601088385.jpeg
    BAFC70D0-FF92-4A05-9074-024601088385.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 6C281536-FC65-4AAC-A60A-781BAB808228.jpeg
    6C281536-FC65-4AAC-A60A-781BAB808228.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back