CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 13, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #20,536 of 25,868
All devices is dependent on power quality and to power one device is expensive. So even while I'm just having a phone and the zen stream connecting to it via hotspot, the quality is much better than any modem designed to handle networking and multiple devices and without a good psu. It also is proof the shorter the chain the better and nipping the issue in the bud.
Although I have a Qobuz subscription I mostly play locally stored rips/downloaded files but even so I need a network connection to control playback (even when I remove the broadband connection which is 4G). I have found that the local network connection even without broadband can still have an effect on sound quality and that is where / why I use the PhoenixNET.

Jun 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #20,537 of 25,868
Although I have a Qobuz subscription I mostly play locally stored rips/downloaded files but even so I need a network connection to control playback (even when I remove the broadband connection which is 4G). I have found that the local network connection even without broadband can still have an effect on sound quality and that is where / why I use the PhoenixNET.
In all other cases except my zen stream chain,local files are superior with a big gap. With that said, local files always pales in comparison to my cdt + ocxo setup. Hope that explains the big leap with the zen stream.

Jun 13, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #20,538 of 25,868
I have previously delved very deep down the file based playback rabbit hole. I ended up with a horribly convoluted audio chain, from back to back Ethernet switches separated by fibre, then into an audiophile switch, then via a filter into a server, then into a renderer, then into a re-clocker, then into HMS etc. Yet, infuriatingly, I always preferred the sound of my CDT (which cost substantially less that the the total cost of my file based chain). I am convinced, that very soon they will work it all out, and file based playback will become superior, I am even tempted to go back in now, with something like the Grim MU1, which seems to getting great reviews. I really do miss the convenience and new music discovery of streaming.

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #20,540 of 25,868
All devices is dependent on power quality and to power one device is expensive. So even while I'm just having a phone and the zen stream connecting to it via hotspot, the quality is much better than any modem designed to handle networking and multiple devices and without a good psu. It also is proof the shorter the chain the better and nipping the issue in the bud.
Yes, if it works. For me, using wi-fi means an unstable signal at my hi-fi (a house with heavy interior brick walls) and continual sound drop-outs. So not a solution for me :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #20,541 of 25,868
Yes, if it works. For me, using wi-fi means an unstable signal at my hi-fi (a house with heavy interior brick walls) and continual sound drop-outs. So not a solution for me :frowning2:
That's correct especially when doing shared connections with other people. That's why having the zen stream connect to the phone's hotspot is a dedicated connection. If you have poor 4g,LTE,5g in your listening area then you can have potential issues too.

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #20,542 of 25,868
It looks like you are well sorted as soon as you ditch Roon 😜. The only other suggestion is that each time I have changed from a Farad Super3 to a Sean Jacobs power supply everything has got better although the Super3 is indeed pretty good.
Would love to ditch Roon. Have even tried a couple of times, but there is no truly viable alternative that I can find and so I keep coming back.

Yes, I have zero doubt that further gains could be made by exploring power supplies. But I literally don't have space for the Sean Jacobs. The Farads are the perfect compromise of form and function for my application.

So, for now, I'm pretty much done I think. Awaiting the next game changer.

Jun 13, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #20,543 of 25,868
That's about right. And as a test to validate, a good CDT hooked up straight to the Dave should sound better than having a HMS in-between.
I am also intrigued by this comment, I may actually give this a try, tonight!

Jun 13, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #20,544 of 25,868
I am also intrigued by this comment, I may actually give this a try, tonight!
It's part of psu quality. HMS has good regulation so it acts like a good ddc plus oversampling. Kinda like souping up a switch/router plus a good psu for it. But since my cdt + ocxo has better psu quality and clock performance, HMS was hurting it than helping it.

Also why I can easily drive the Susvara + Stealth on the Dave.

Jun 13, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #20,545 of 25,868

i use qobuz, but lately I have been plagued with the “this track is loading slowly” with roon. Not sure if its a qobuz, or a roon problem.

What ever is happening, it’s taking the piss, thats fo sho.

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #20,546 of 25,868
i use qobuz, but lately I have been plagued with the “this track is loading slowly” with roon. Not sure if its a qobuz, or a roon problem.
My own experience here is that this a Roon issue, caused by local networking issues. Been using Qobuz a lot over the past few days with no such complaints... Try the Roon Community forum for advice.

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #20,547 of 25,868
It's part of psu quality. HMS has good regulation so it acts like a good ddc plus oversampling. Kinda like souping up a switch/router plus a good psu for it. But since my cdt + ocxo has better psu quality and clock performance, HMS was hurting it than helping it.

Also why I can easily drive the Susvara + Stealth on the Dave.
But then you are missing out on the huge benefits the HMS brings in it's upscaling. What cables are you using between the HMS and the DAVE? This is a known weak spot and can be resolved in a number of ways; typically with Wave cables or the Opto DX platform.

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #20,548 of 25,868
But then you are missing out on the huge benefits the HMS brings in it's upscaling. What cables are you using between the HMS and the DAVE? This is a known weak spot and can be resolved in a number of ways; typically with Wave cables or the Opto DX platform.
I have my own silver digital cable that surpasses silver ones that are 'on spec' and it is practically 1:1 with optical which no coax I've tried have come close.

My CDT can upscale to 192khz with an ocxo. But after all the tests, 44.1khz is still king. Beats pggb, HQplayer upsampling and 192/24 wav counterparts. The only thing to come close or beat it is MQA. I've already powered the HMS with Hypsos, hypsos + Voltage regulators and a modded ifi elite with silver cables.

Upscaling has benefits but to a point . For example it made my phone sound close to my cdt on oversampling with HMS. But CDT is still veiled compared to it being plugged in to the Dave at 44.1, which speaks volumes that power quality and clock quality is important...hence the many mods on switches and routers with clocks and psu.

Sadly I havent tested zen stream mqa to HMS to Dave. That would have been sweet but I ran out of psu and cables to make that happen.

Jun 14, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #20,549 of 25,868
Interesting. Your experience is the opposite of mine: HMS makes a huge difference; native 192/24 are audibly superior to 44.1; MQA is horrible. But that's the beauty of hi-fi - it's a subjective experience and each person's experience is theirs alone.

Jun 14, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #20,550 of 25,868
Interesting. Your experience is the opposite of mine: HMS makes a huge difference; native 192/24 are audibly superior to 44.1; MQA is horrible. But that's the beauty of hi-fi - it's a subjective experience and each person's experience is theirs alone.
I had the same sentiments as yours on all that until I started improving my transport, digital chain and psu quality. Remember I blew a bit of $$ on Hi-Res before my first CDT. So yes, it's surprising everything flips around. MQA is lower distortion so it'll emphasize distortion in other parts of the chain. Back then, MQA sounds like a cassette tape compared to Hi-Res hence the splurge on Hi-Res. Now it's flipped.

Even on MQA CD it felt off initially and sub-standard since the master was on 96khz and CD is 44hz clock frequency so the upsampling is 88khz. But now the mqa cd is even better than tidal streaming. Less ringing than before and less interference. The throat on the vocals sounds less pinched or strained.

192/24 sound better than 44.1/16 on basic USB chain and weaker transports. On a good chain, 192/24 has a ringing effect and the timing/flow is worse, leading edge is artificial. Pggb and HQplayer's timbre is shot, artificially wide and flat like roadkill...HMS' timbre is intact in comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back