CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 11, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #20,476 of 26,005
I can definitely hear a difference from the Dave and TT2. But it wasn’t a night and day difference. Bass texture and depth, soundstage all increases. Seems like the Dave has more emphasis on accentuating mids. Seems mid forward. It does have more layers than TT2. TT2 is flat in comparison. TT2 does seem more relaxing of a listen. I can imagine why some people might like TT2/HMS more. Overall it is good. I’ll probably keep. Piano sounded amazing.

Guess I was expecting more of it being injected in my veins lol.

Weird thing I noticed. I used to EQ the LCD5 a bit but straight from the Dave zero EQ.
Listen to Dave for some time like week or two. Then switch again to tt2.
You will be surprised :wink:

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #20,477 of 26,005
Listen to Dave for some time like week or two. Then switch again to tt2.
You will be surprised :wink:
Good advice. I found TT2 quite muddled/muddy in the bass and lower mids after prolonged Dave listening.

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #20,478 of 26,005
Regarding Dave and transparency, if one adds a good amp to the Dave how much transparency does it lose. Does a Dave with external amp still sound more transparent than a TT2 connected directly?
I tired this for a while, before my DAVE went in PX.....short answer is not much, not really, and yes, it sounded better for me. I used both an HPA4 and a Nimbus US5 with it, connected with chord Signature XLR. The HPA was a 'pass through' experience (unsurprising, given the HPA's design) - if there was any loss of micro-detail, I couldnt hear it. What it did do, however, was light up the headphones (LCD3, Utopia, Empyrean) for my preferences - more dynamics, wider staging - nicer to listen to - perhaps not 'better' than the DAVE HP output, but more engaging to listen to. The US 5 was a massive step up in SQ - better timbre, more dynamics, better imaging/staging, especially with the Focals. then again, you'd expect that from a £5000 amp.

The Headphone output on the DAVE is very good - clean, clear, detailed and well-imaged. But, if it doesnt suit your headphones, or you prefer balanced, it;s worth trying other amps - for me, if there was anything being lost, it was more than made up for with the the other gains.

I did find that the setup scaled well with good interconnects - I tried many different cables from TQ, AQ, Nordost and Chord co before settling on the Signatures. I tried the Chord Music XLR, and it was astonishing, but as it cost more than the HPA, that was never going to happen :D In both cases, (HPA and NImbus) the Chord wires sounded better (to me) than the others. TQ was dissapointing. with AQ and Nordost, I was looking at 2x the ££ to get the same effect as cheaper Chord. Eventually settled on the Signature as a good balance between SQ and ££.

I've demoed the TT2 in the past - it;s a fine unit. But for me, DAVE + Amp delivered much broader muscial enjoyment, albeit at some cost......

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #20,479 of 26,005
What's also surprising is the fact that crossfeed on Dave has much more profound effect.

I'm not sure exactly why this is happening.
On TT2 and also hugo2 crossfeed wasn't changing that much. Actually I preffered it to be off everything was squashed together and the depth was not as clear as it is on Dave.

With Dave crossfeed is huge. I mean the image really is more upfront you. The depth and instrument placement is completely changed - of course assuming that recording has it.
With classical music I'm like 99% of the time using crossfeed 3.

My guess why this is happening is that:
- high frequencies are more extended on Dave than TT2/hugo2
- better clarity and overall small nuances are clearer on Dave especially in higher frequencies
- as we know a lot of information about space and placement of sounds are contained in high frequencies

As far as I know implementation of xfeed is exactly the same on every chord dac.
So it's really interesting to see how much of a difference you can still hear. In my opinion that's the reason why dark sounding DACs have problems with overall soundstage.

It would be interesting to hear @Rob Watts view on why there is so much difference in crossfeed between his DACs - at least to my ears.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #20,480 of 26,005
A simple, but brilliant quality, Singxer SA-1 Headphone Amp with the DAVE is all that is needed on my side. The SA-1 is very clean and does not colour, veil or muddy the sound. In recent tests the SA-1 came out with extremely good results. Feed the DAVE through this and things become even fuller and very musical. A 'cheap' way of enhancing the DAVE if you require more power and 'thump'. Everything seems to be 'enhanced'. SA-1 is great to drive the DAVE with LCD-5's which I feel doesn't require EQ thereafter. You can 'play' about with the sound, if you so wish, by using various and personally chosen RCA Interconnects and 'Bob's your Uncle' ! 🎧

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #20,481 of 26,005
Thanks for the tips on appreciating the Dave. I heard the difference and will keep the Dave. Instruments are more convincing, more layers, bass is all encompassing, micro details increase and soundstage width increases. Just part of me thinks it emphasizes the mids more making less neutral? I am now thinking of selling the TT2 and getting an mscaler with Wave cables.

Can someone add again what the Macaler brings to the table using the Dave?

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #20,482 of 26,005
Thanks for the tips on appreciating the Dave. I heard the difference and will keep the Dave. Instruments are more convincing, more layers, bass is all encompassing, micro details increase and soundstage width increases. Just part of me thinks it emphasizes the mids more making less neutral? I am now thinking of selling the TT2 and getting an mscaler with Wave cables.

Can someone add again what the Macaler brings to the table using the Dave?
Greater musicality: the sounds just flows like water ... and with that comes greater emotional involvement.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #20,483 of 26,005
Once you add an SRC-DX USB to DX adapter (USB to dual BNC), you'll wonder why you ever listened to the USB input. Using the same USB cable and port on the PC, the difference for me is night and day, even on the 4FS material (single BNC mode) but the 16FS material (Dual BNC) is mind-blowingly great. When DAVE switches to the 705.6kHz DX mode, I swear there is magic that happens inside DAVE (I speak romantically here).

Just for reference, my DAVE, in comparison between straight USB input and DX via SRC-DX adapter, the USB sounds fuzzy, loosely defined, and slightly edgy in the top end relatively speaking. The SRC-DX on the otherhand has a blacker background, bigger soundstage, more focused soundstage, pristinely pure but natural sounding top-end. The DAVE's ability to reproduce accurate sounding timbre of instruments is enhanced because the low-level signals in the top-end are where finesse happens for me. A tiny triangle hit that is barely audible but very clear against a "black" background of silence can thrill me.

So I am a convert. Native USB input port is now dead to me on my DAVE. That's a change in me after about 6 years of happy DAVE ownership.

Regards
GG
What about optical? Heard this is a great option with Dave. Are we not messing to it because it can’t play high sample rates?

Wondering if I should get a SRC DX with HQPlayer now that it supports streaming platforms vs getting an MScaler/Wave Cables.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #20,484 of 26,005
Regarding Dave and transparency, if one adds a good amp to the Dave how much transparency does it lose.

Depends on the amp. With a high quality, transparent amp not much, if at all audibly. One thing to note is that depending on the headphones.. especially if they're harder to drive, you often get an improvement in fullness overall + increased bass performance. In comparison, in these cases the Dave alone can sound a bit leaner overall, which many associate with greater transparency or clarity, which I wouldn't say is accurate (just imo). This is especially true regarding bass, because with lower bass output and fullness, the mids and highs are accentuated.

Now with a colored amp behind it, it absolutely loses some neutrality and transparency, so you'd want to avoid warmer, intentionally lusher amps if transparency is your absolute main goal.

I would just thoroughly test it out yourself. For me, I did so extensively and landed on always using the Dave direct on really efficient headphones (*unless* they are naturally lean/bright themselves), and absolutely always using an amp for any harder to drive headphones. That has produced the best sound for me.

Can someone add again what the Mscaler brings to the table using the Dave?

For me, the mscaler added a really great sense of spaciousness, which increased perceived level of detail and accentuated the imaging. It was a really nice and welcomed change for me. (I do get how some perceive these changes as the sound becoming more digital, however). I would say the mscaler just crosses the line of being a must have for me. A bit pricey for what it is and the changes are indeed a bit subtle, but I have no intention at all to let mine go.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #20,485 of 26,005
After a week of delay, thanks to the UK Queen's Jubilee double bank-holiday and then FedEx's ridiculously manual duties payment system, I finally received my Farad3 upgrade kit. I installed this yesterday and left it to warm up overnight, then spent this afternoon critically evaluating using a selection of tracks that I know extremely well from years of repeated listening.

Three hours later, and my face aching from the three hour grin, my conclusion is this:

You haven't heard what DAVE is fully capable of until you've upgraded the power supply...

Everything is just better. SO MUCH BETTER!

Transients and their timing is significantly improved. Things like Oldfield's Tubular Bell clang, or Maxwell's Silver Hammer strikes, or just simple rim hits, now have a speed of impact that can shock and delight. Previously you heard the sound but never believed the instrument is in front of you. Now you do.

Vocalists now have a physical presence, whereas previously there was just a ghost standing there. Voices are much better defined in space too. In fact everything is better defined. It's like a blurriness has been removed and so everything snaps in to focus.

Bass is hugely improved. Double bass, for example, which previously sounded like a double bass, now REALLY sounds and feels like a double bass. Notes are clear, well defined, perfectly controlled. etc. You can literally see these instruments.

Depth, and indeed, the entire soundstage is improved. It's now holographic 3D, whereas before it was a little flat and layered.

Dynamics are hugely improved. Drum hits sound real, fast and impactful and combined with the other improvements above you fully believe there's a drum kit banging away in the room with you.

Put simply, upgrading the power supply of the DAVE turns it into a DAVE+

The Farad3 upgrade gets an unequivocal recommendation.

Haven't heard the Sean Jacobs, so cannot offer any comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #20,486 of 26,005
After a week of delay, thanks to the UK Queen's Jubilee double bank-holiday and then FedEx's ridiculously manual duties payment system, I finally received my Farad3 upgrade kit. I installed this yesterday and left it to warm up overnight, then spent this afternoon critically evaluating using a selection of tracks that I know extremely well from years of repeated listening.

Three hours later, and my face aching from the three hour grin, my conclusion is this:

You haven't heard what DAVE is fully capable of until you've upgraded the power supply...

Transients and their timing is significantly improved. Things like Oldfield's Tubular Bell clang, or Maxwell's Silver Hammer strikes, or just simple rim hits, now have a speed of impact that can shock and delight. Previously you heard the sound but never believed the instrument is in front of you. Now you do.

Vocalists now have a physical presence, whereas previously there was just a ghost standing there. Voices are much better defined in space too. In fact everything is better defined. It's like a blurriness has been removed and so everything snaps in to focus.

Bass is hugely improved. Double bass, for example, which previously sounded like a double bass, now REALLY sounds and feels like a double bass. Notes are clear, well defined, perfectly controlled. etc. You can literally see these instruments.

Depth, and indeed, the entire soundstage is improved. It's now holographic 3D, whereas before it was a little flat and layered.

Dynamics are hugely improved. Drum hits sound real, fast and impactful and combined with the other improvements above you fully believe there's a drum kit banging away in the room with you.

And your fixed inlets are on there way😁

Attachments

• 3F278F10-DF94-4358-A66E-98CE69BB574A.jpeg
    3F278F10-DF94-4358-A66E-98CE69BB574A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 11, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #20,487 of 26,005

Oh God now I'm going to go crazy waiting for mine 🤯

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #20,488 of 26,005

You exactly describe what i reviewed few pages back. Im not a nutcase afterall 😁.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #20,489 of 26,005

Oh boy oh boy, please don't do this to me 🥺

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #20,490 of 26,005

Would you recommend the Farad3 or Mscaler for a solo Dave? Which one gets more benefit? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back