CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 31, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #20,341 of 25,868
The dave is doing wonderfull not thin at all but found the dave never thin for that matter. This amp is doing better in just about every thing conpared to what i had. Few days of listening and warming up but first impression is a ok. For sure the dave and aurender are shining much better now. Highs are defenitly more detailed and defined and the mids more relaxed present and the bass less pressing but more detailed and textured. Love it but what is most fun for the first time old recording 80’ are sounding nice and relaxed could never enjoy the old stuff i liked so mich for long time and there so much more defenition and rest in these older tracks.

Enjoying
Enjoy. I still think you will change out Chord at some point :k701smile:

May 31, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #20,342 of 25,868

Brits went everywhere, and took somethings with them, but reaped everything away eventually! :relaxed:.:relaxed:
Don't forget London, Ontario. Went past it on a visit to Niagara many moons ago... many many moons.

May 31, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #20,343 of 25,868
Got an usher thats a threshold pass labs copy. It was becoming to low heavy. Its the spectral dma 250. Budget is kind off low now but this is miles better than the usher it was also the last component that had to be switched. Think i stick to the spectral for a while. Its also like the room is depressurized so much easy and musicality.. live it
No need to lending you the Poa's anymore i presume?

May 31, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #20,344 of 25,868
Enjoy. I still think you will change out Chord at some point :k701smile:
We will see i will prob in time but for now with all the mods and enhancement of the last year, tt2 to dave, scaler, cables, aurender, to farad now the amp and the perlisten sub i will do some rew and leave it so far at least 1/2 a year to year. Got some renovating to do. Its relaxed now no glare no harsness but its fast detailed etc well you now all the drill. It will always keep itching. But at some point the irritations are gone and the tweaking upgrades starts…

May 31, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #20,345 of 25,868
No need to lending you the Poa's anymore i presume?
Noop this has all your amps have but even more seperation and resolution and stage… but your amps brought me to this so many thanks… sometimes you hear what you miss althou you know it..

May 31, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #20,346 of 25,868
Still i guess if you can point your gun at POA S1's for good price ofc ..pull it!
Then i definately come again to listen😁

poa-s1.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #20,347 of 25,868
That's a fair price I think. I heard that amp a couple of times like 10 years ago and it's definitely worth that amount in sound quality. The next quality jump these days is like the $10k mark. The old $5-7k bracket has been creeping up to $10k now.

I think with Spectral you will need to change your dac for sure. I don’t think Chord is a good fit for it due to its thin sounding nature.
Dave and the mscaler are not thin sounding! It is exactly the opposite when setup correctly. Deep resolved bass and extended highs. It makes music, not a smooth uninvolving sound like many other high end dacs. My next upgrade will be the Choral mscaler. Rob Watts is the only dac designer doing digital correctly with a long tap length reconstruction filter and accurate transients imho.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #20,348 of 25,868
Dave and the mscaler are not thin sounding! It is exactly the opposite when setup correctly. Deep resolved bass and extended highs. It makes music, not a smooth uninvolving sound like many other high end dacs. My next upgrade will be the Choral mscaler. Rob Watts is the only dac designer doing digital correctly with a long tap length reconstruction filter and accurate transients imho.
Fully agree that the Dave and M-Scaler is not thin sounding. Bass hits hard, is wildly dynamic and defined. The rest of the frequency response is resolving, detailed, with tremendous clarity, staging and depth. Some users just prefer the tone of R2R and tube Dacs, which is fine. In this case, the Dave is not for them. I love my Dave and I can't imagine getting better sound out of a Dac.

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #20,349 of 25,868
I think that a lot of this thin nonsense comes from just a sound of particular headphones (especially headphones as there is a lot of deviations).
If you pair Dave with headphone that has no bass - you will get that. Dave won't color or add anything.
It's just clean well separated sound, if you lack something it means that your transducer is not producing it.

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #20,350 of 25,868
I'll give you that. In recent weeks I have not used my DAVE+Blu Mk II+Utopia, but returning to it tonight, it is the most correct headphone reproduction of the solo piano I have heard-- and I include the Sennheiser HE-1 in that. I'm weary of the M Scaler X because Rob Watts already achieved the perfect balance. I recently purchased the Mojo 2 and compared to the original Mojo, it got away from the rose tinted musicality that many have come to love. After 18 years on Head-Fi and owning all of the-best-of-the-best, the original DAVE+Blu Mk II might be the summit.

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #20,351 of 25,868
I'll give you that. In recent weeks I have not used my DAVE+Blu Mk II+Utopia, but returning to it tonight, it is the most correct headphone reproduction of the solo piano I have heard-- and I include the Sennheiser HE-1 in that. I'm weary of the M Scaler X because Rob Watts already achieved the perfect balance. I recently purchased the Mojo 2 and compared to the original Mojo, it got away from the rose tinted musicality that many have come to love. After 18 years on Head-Fi and owning all of the-best-of-the-best, the original DAVE+Blu Mk II might be the summit.
I compared the Mojo 2 to the original Mojo. It brought home to me home important mid-range clarity is for prat and musical involvement. The removal of the coupling capacitors from Mojo's analogue output significantly improved drive and dynamics and reduced smear imho. The original Mojo sounded a bit laid back. I wouldn't worry about this with the Mscaler X as Dave is already direct coupled with a digital servo.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #20,352 of 25,868
I will be pulling the trigger on the Farad supplies for my DAVE in the next day or so.
Expecting mine to ship today. Farad3 have elevated each device I've connected them to, so am intrigued to hear what they can bring to DAVE.

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #20,354 of 25,868
Expecting mine to ship today. Farad3 have elevated each device I've connected them to, so am intrigued to hear what they can bring to DAVE.
Yup, just shipped. Unfortunately, due to Jubilee celebrations, will have to wait until Tuesday, it seems, for delivery. Will, no doubt, be worth the wait.

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #20,355 of 25,868
Does anyone use AES input on the Dave? Specs say maximum input is 96kHz, but just wondering if anyone has tried 192 and whether it works?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back