Played more than 90%, maybe need AMP to perform better

A.SONY - Z1R
B.Sennheiser-HD800S,HD800
c.Final audio - D8000pro

May play 87%+, usually requires AMP

a.HiFiMAN-Susvara
b.Abyss - AB-1266 Phi TC
c.Audio-Technica-ADX5000

"Attention! Depending on the system, the amount spent on the last amp may not increase as expected"
"I hope everyone can update and improve together"
add supplement
9. Fostex - Th900mk2

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #19,337 of 25,869
I corrected my post as I haven't tried the stealth and was unaware of it's sensitivity (but 5db is a lot). So, maybe it's not a great match for the Dave. I'll let others speak who have heard it.

Still my primary point remains. The headphone output on the Dave doesn't do Susvara justice. It's not merely about volume. If you like it more power to you - I just think you are leaving a tremendous amount of performance with that headphone on the table. I think nearly all that have tried the Susvara on more powerful amps would nearly universally agree. Still it's a subjective hobby, YMMV. I just want to prevent someone from buying a Susvara for their Dave blind - and being forced to buy a big amp.
low gain on diablo with a susvara....and we still let this guy monopolize these threads?

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #19,338 of 25,869
low gain on diablo with a susvara....and we still let this guy monopolize these threads?

The Dave is probably my favorite audio product I've ever bought - and the headphone jack sounds stunning with the right headphones. But in the Susvara, we are talking about the most insensitive headphone in the world. Dave was never meant for it. Will it produce sound? Yes. But amperage is equally as important as wattage, and while headphone amplifiers can certainly be extravagant - they do make a difference, otherwise noone would buy them. Even a relatively modest Ifi Pro ICan will do a very nice job if it's about cost. But, you are already investing in a expensive DAC and an expensive headphone, so ostensibly, you have the ability to spend some money on a headphone amp. Why not get the most out of it you can?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #19,340 of 25,869
I am pretty close to diving head first into two channel and buying a pair of Martin Logan Expression 13a, paired with a Pass Labs amp. Source will be my Dave / Mscaler fronted by my Lumin U1.

Anyone use or listen to the Dave/Mscaler with Martin Logan Electrostats, or any other panel speakers? I demoed them with the Pass Int 60 and the Qutest and was blown away. I can only imagine substantial improvements with my Dave/Mscaler at the helm and such a transparent speaker. I spent a couple of days demoing speakers at multiple dealers, demoing Paradigm, Focal, KEF, Credo, B&W, Harbeth, and the Martin Logan Electrostats. I found the Harbeths very involving, especially regarding tone. The electrostats were a couple steps above matching the Harbeths in tone - surpassing them in transparency, dynamics, detail, soundstage width and height, imaging and any other technicalities you can imagine. While electrostats have some limitations you have to work around, I can't get their sound out of my head.

Posting here as I'm very curious if anyone has used these speakers with Chord gear, and Dave/Mscaler specifically. As holographic as both components are - I'm curious as to anyone who may have experience.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #19,341 of 25,869
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #19,343 of 25,869
I am pretty close to diving head first into two channel and buying a pair of Martin Logan Expression 13a, paired with a Pass Labs amp. Source will be my Dave / Mscaler fronted by my Lumin U1.

Anyone use or listen to the Dave/Mscaler with Martin Logan Electrostats, or any other panel speakers? I demoed them with the Pass Int 60 and the Qutest and was blown away. I can only imagine substantial improvements with my Dave/Mscaler at the helm and such a transparent speaker. I spent a couple of days demoing speakers at multiple dealers, demoing Paradigm, Focal, KEF, Credo, B&W, Harbeth, and the Martin Logan Electrostats. I found the Harbeths very involving, especially regarding tone. The electrostats were a couple steps above matching the Harbeths in tone - surpassing them in transparency, dynamics, detail, soundstage width and height, imaging and any other technicalities you can imagine. While electrostats have some limitations you have to work around, I can't get their sound out of my head.

Posting here as I'm very curious if anyone has used these speakers with Chord gear, and Dave/Mscaler specifically. As holographic as both components are - I'm curious as to anyone who may have experience.
Those Harbeth 40.3 are wonderful. I have heard them in several places and was enamored every time, even with different gear and rooms. Excellent speakers. Panel speakers are cool as well and very different for sure.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #19,344 of 25,869

I have the Classic 9's and am very happy with them, however I believe the active woofers on the 11A,13A and 15A's make them much easier to integrate into any given environment. My listening room isn't particularly forgiving and it took some time and effort to get the placement right, I think the passive woofers on the 9's are a disadvantage and will contemplate upgrading to the 11A or 13A at some future point.

Another thing to bear in mind, the ML's like space behind them, if you can't get them at least 4 feet from the front wall them some room treatment will probably be necessary to deal with the reflections from the rear of the panels.

The great news is that they sound superb with the Chord MScaler, Dave combo, I use Dave as a pre amp running into the Power Amp section of my Luxman L509 amp. I can't really articulate any further on what has already been written above, my only additional comment, get placement and room treatment right and to my ears they sound sublime with the Chord gear.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #19,345 of 25,869
Love to hear more people’s experience of upgrading the DC4 to AR6 w/ and w/out Mundorf wiring. I am contemplating this upgrade. I know it would be worth it all things equal. For me the biggest bummer is the weeks without my DC4 as if flies around the world….

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #19,346 of 25,869
Love to hear more people’s experience of upgrading the DC4 to AR6 w/ and w/out Mundorf wiring. I am contemplating this upgrade. I know it would be worth it all things equal. For me the biggest bummer is the weeks without my DC4 as if flies around the world….
I have an AR6 with Mundorf wiring. It really sounds superb. The sound quality, especially the power in the bass is so much better than standard Dave. Unfortunately I have no experience of the standard DC4.

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #19,347 of 25,869
Is anyone using omega speakers with their Dave, and is also using a sub woofer without an additional amp in the chain? Is this possible ?

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #19,348 of 25,869
Is anyone using omega speakers with their Dave, and is also using a sub woofer without an additional amp in the chain? Is this possible ?
Yes use a rel eg. 812 these are best connected to the speakers high output. Works sublime.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #19,350 of 25,869
No it is just attached to the output of the amp or to the binding posts of the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back