CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #17,086 of 26,005
Has anyone noticed any difference using dual BNC into inputs 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2? I haven't tried yet and I don't expect a difference but I wondered if anyone has compared.

I'm really enjoying the sound I'm getting from the mDAVE at the moment. I've upgraded power distribution and that improved things noticeably (by a surprising amount). I've also got a PhoenixNET on the way to try.

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #17,087 of 26,005
Has anyone noticed any difference using dual BNC into inputs 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2? I haven't tried yet and I don't expect a difference but I wondered if anyone has compared.

I'm really enjoying the sound I'm getting from the mDAVE at the moment. I've upgraded power distribution and that improved things noticeably (by a surprising amount). I've also got a PhoenixNET on the way to try.

Just chose 3/4 because others have mentioned that some units of dave go out of dual-mode sometimes, but also because the analoge and digital cables are further apart. I also haven‘t done listening tests.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #17,088 of 26,005
Excellent stuff. I intend to use the Optical Rendu wired to my music server and Roon Core:

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Audiostore_Prestige_3/p317978_16932231.aspx

i5+8GB RAM+1TB SSD; this is basically the UK version of Small Green Computer's products

I was using a Rasperry Pi 4B as a Roon endpoint over WiFi until now but definitely upgrading it to the Optical Rendu now that you guys kindly shared your experience with it.
I came across the Prestige a while back but it seemed to cost a fair bit more than a theoretically more powerful NUC. I just wondered what you felt the advantages compared to a NUC .are

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #17,089 of 26,005
I came across the Prestige a while back but it seemed to cost a fair bit more than a theoretically more powerful NUC. I just wondered what you felt the advantages compared to a NUC .are
Hardware. Warranty. Support. No RFI, Logitech Media Server functionality etc etc etc

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #17,091 of 26,005
Congratulations. You will enjoy the Dave. My advice is to just use it as it is for a while and get used to its superlative sound before thinking of tweaking although high on my list if finances allow would be the Mscaler.

I have never been inclined to investigate anti vibration feet. The Dave sounds great without any (IMHO and YMMV of course).
Nick - I was skeptical ... and then astonished. It really does make a very surprising difference ... even through headphones. And it need not be expensive .... http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/ ...

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #17,092 of 26,005
I asked this before, but just reaching out again before purchasing. What difference did any of you hear in upgrading the DC4 cable to the Dave to the gold/silver version? Thanks for any feedback. I know Nick went a different road, happy to hear about how that is turning out as well...

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #17,094 of 26,005
I’ve been trying to find comparisons between the two recently as well. I couldn’t find much. Logically, a $5000 dac shouldn’t be able to compete with a $10,000 one, but the Holo May is getting great reviews nonetheless. I read in a thread somewhere where the poster compared the Mola Mola Tambaqui with the Holo May KTE and that person claimed they are of similar quality. I’ve never heard either, but the Tambaqui has been reviewing very, very well too
Actually, it's not as illogical as it might appear, at least if you're comparing gear made by a company that sells direct to consumers versus one that relies on a dealer network. A lot of high end gear sold through dealers has a very substantial dealer mark-up.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #17,095 of 26,005
Just curious - with the Blu upsampling CD player discontinued, why hasn't Chord released a version of the M-Scaler in a case that matches the DAVE DAC?
It seems like a reasonable idea and to reuse the clean, simple Étude chassis.

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #17,096 of 26,005

Lately I compared inputs 1&2 vs 3&4 using the m scaler.
And my findings were that 3&4 sound a tad darker/smoother.
And I'm not using RCA outputs of the Dave. So I don't know where the difference comes from.
You can find my posts "couple" of pages back.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #17,097 of 26,005
Today will be a fun day in the home office!
Should be getting my own black unit in the next 4 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_082550_655.jpg
    IMG_20210428_082550_655.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #17,099 of 26,005
Fantastic - I waited about ten weeks for my black Dave - had it three weeks now and it's everything I expected (and more, but the MScaler enters the story at that point:relaxed:).
Hehe, nice! I got a rather attractive trade-in offer for my Focal Arche and Mojo+Poly, which significantly lowers the price of admission to getting my own Mscaler.
Funny thing is I will likely have the Mscaler before DAVE if I do go down that route!

EDIT: speaking of which, would you guys recommend using Dave on its own to begin with and adding a Mscaler later on? Or just going all out and getting the two together?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #17,100 of 26,005
EDIT: speaking of which, would you guys recommend using Dave on its own to begin with and adding a Mscaler later on? Or just going all out and getting the two together?
I had the Dave for ten days before the Mscaler arrived, but I would not claim I had fully bedded into the Dave sound. One thing is for certain, once the Mscaler is in play, you probably won't bother going back to straight Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back