CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #13,546 of 25,860
So you are trying to say that - to avoid thermal cycling (which is supposedly disserviceable to electronic devices like Dave) it is much better to choose standby mode instead of complete shutdown ?
I'll admit I am not an expert here but common sense would suggest that electronics should be turned off from time to time - for the sake of its prolonged longetivity. As I understand its generally not recommended for electronics like laptops, TVs, audio devices to be on switch on/switch off merry-go-round too frequently- BUT is it really that disserviceable to switch off Dave completely (from power) at the end of the day in purpose to prolong its life-time and with regards to have a nice healthy sleep free of all unnecessary electronic smog ?

Well that is a problem.
Capacitors do run their course & have a limited life span. Constant use 24/7 & they will die/degrade MUCH quicker. If you plan on keeping a DAC for over 10+ years, it would be advisable to turn the DAC off when you know it won't be used anytime soon.
Search the thread. Rob Watts suggests leaving them on for the reasons I already explained—for example, there is no power switch on the Hugo M Scaler and it’s also a principle held by many other electronics companies. Ultimately it’s your decision, do what you feel is best.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #13,547 of 25,860
Search the thread. Rob Watts suggests leaving them on for the reasons I already explained—it’s also a principle held by many other electronics companies. Ultimately it’s your decision, do what you feel is best.

Longevity would still be a concern. Pretty much any DAC from the '90s would need a recap. The stuff from the early '00 are probably getting there as well.

If you don't see your self with your current DAC in 15-20 years, then leaving it on standby 24/7 shouldn't be a problem.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #13,548 of 25,860
Longevity would still be a concern. Pretty much any DAC from the '90s would need a recap. The stuff from the early '00 are probably getting there as well.

If you don't see your self with your current DAC in 15-20 years, then leaving it on standby 24/7 shouldn't be a problem.

It is a trade off. You might think you are saving the components by your switch off method only to find they go up in a puff of smoke one of the times when you switch back on.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #13,550 of 25,860
Can anyone post impressions of Dave alone vs Dave with Hugo Mscaler, or if that has been done, point me in the right direction?

It has been discussed now and then.

I do not own a DAVE only Qutest /HMS. And during quite a few direct comparisons switching between DAVE alone and DAVE/HMS and TT2/HMS and Qutest/HMS I found that via headphones like HEKV2 or similar not so easy load ones the most important link in each chain was ALWAYS the addition of an HMS.

As the best reasonably portable SQ to my ears I preferred the Qutest/HMS over both TT2 and DAVE on their own.
But both TT2 /HMS and of course, DAVE /HMS sounded even better.

The most compact travel friendly option for me personally would have been a HUGO2/HMS.

But I listen quite a lot to very demanding non compressed large scale classical symphonic and operatic music and even DAVE/BLU2 sometimes audibly clipping at loud climaxes with Susvara,DAVE BLU2 without an added headphone amp, was an absolute no go with some of my master files.

H2/HMS showed some strain and did not deliver fff-ffff climaxes without effort even with HEKV2, so I went for Qutest and a separate pro quality headphone amp.
TT2/HMs would have been a both bulkier and a lot more expensive but also more transparent option I may go for next.

Not quite kosher to say so here maybe,but I can still live quite happily with a slight lowering of ultimate over all transparency,but NO risk of running out of current and power at important climaxes in Mahler or Wagner.

I've "Picked my poison" until I can get my hands on a cheap enough TT2 or DAVE for home use.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #13,551 of 25,860
It’s the thermal cycling that kills electronics and why the DAVE and Blu Mk 2 have display 4 and standby modes.

I would say it's more electromigration that kills electronics, however thermal cycles will also do it.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #13,553 of 25,860
What is electomigration and how is it prevented?

It's just degradation of components when electricity is running through them. To get technical it's all about ion's and how they flow through electronic components and metals.

It's not going to kill things overnight, it will take a fair time to do it and components nowadays are not as susceptible to it as say in the 60/70s, but it's happening and given time some components will fail because of it.

To prevent it, just buy a new dave every 5 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #13,554 of 25,860
I did some more calculations and 5 and a half years is spot on. Thanks.

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #13,555 of 25,860

If we were talking about motherboards in the late 90s early 2000s, I would be surprised if any are still working because the japanese deliberately let some chinese dude steal their super shhh "secret capacitor electrolyte formula", only for it to be fake and/or mis-copied.

That schiit is internet famous, nearly every motherboard that came out at that period and which used those caps, was dead less than 12 months later, and we ain't talking just one bad cap, we are talking nearly every capacitor on a motherboard blowing up.

Some dude made a decent living off of re-capping said mobo's, first he decapped the mobo's and then washed them in his kitchen sink with tap water.

I'm sure dfi lan party was the culprit, as their schiit just didn't work even with good caps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #13,557 of 25,860
So we just throw the DAVE in the trash after 5.5 years and take out another loan to buy the DAVE-2. Can’t the parts that age be tested and replaced? That aluminum housing must be worth something??
Yeah, it would be disgraceful trashing metalwork like that. When Linn upgrade their top end stuff they upgrade the board inside the existing casework, you get the option of having the old board back in a cheap case. This is great ethical strategy imo, and must generate serious customer loyalty.

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #13,558 of 25,860
Yeah, it would be disgraceful trashing metalwork like that. When Linn upgrade their top end stuff they upgrade the board inside the existing casework, you get the option of having the old board back in a cheap case. This is great ethical strategy imo, and must generate serious customer loyalty.

I only own one product from LINN. But I have to say that it is still one of my best buys EVER!

And although I bought it in London in the mid 70s, yes the MID 70s! It still works and can rival a lot of digital in musicality!
I am still using the original cartridge the Supex MC , "diamonds are forever". But I have changed the rubber belt running the turntable a couple of times in some 40+ years. That's all!
It is called Linn Sondek LP12.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #13,559 of 25,860

Thats the kind of thing that would make me spend more money with a company.

I hate it when 6 - 18 months after you buy something a new improved model comes out and your one is no longer supported, and I hate it even more when you find out, the upgraded model is basically just a software update that enables pre disabled hardware on your product, but they deliberately keep said update from you.

Being able to upgrade in the stock case and get your old board back in a so so case really is something that would keep me loyal to a company.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #13,560 of 25,860
5 and a half years thing was a joke btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back