CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #13,531 of 25,865
So what do I loose in terms of sound quality by using optical with a Samsung smart TV (it acts as a streamer to the Chord Dave)?

It sounds good enough to me while being to stream from my iPad’s, computers, NAS, iphone’s to the Chord Dave to be honest :p

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #13,532 of 25,865
I was planning to trade in my H2 to get a TT2 to use with my HMS. Would going for a solo dave be a big mistake here? (trading in my HMS and H2 and paying the difference). It has been said that it is possible to live without dave's transparency but not the musicality of the TT2/HMS. If i went for a solo dave it would be at least a year or more till i could add an mscaler. I have listened to solo dave and the TT2/HMS and appreciate the differences more transparent vs a warmer musical but 'heavier sound'. Appreciate advice as i don't have much time to make a decision.

Sorry for the delay but I wanted to listen to a variety of music whilst comparing solo Dave to TT2 + Mscaler side by side.

The upshot is that for me the sheer transparency of Dave wins through. Of course the TT2 and Mscaler combination is magnificent and is rightly hailed as being tremendous but compared to solo Dave there is a loss in transparency that I would not be willing to trade. Listening to individual notes and instruments the Dave gives so much space around them where the TT2 combination seems to lose out on this and to me even possibly seems a bit 'plummy'. That is perhaps the warmer presentation that many people like with the TT2

Of course there is plenty of bass with TT2+ Mscaler but so there is as well with Dave. However with solo Dave the bass is just so much more defined. It is the same for me with the the top end and mids where I feel that a bit of detail gets lost with the TT2 HMS combo.

Now, this is all a very personal thing but I have lived with Dave and TT2 since they first came out and also of course with the Mscaler. However, ask 100 people and you will probably get 50 who prefer TT2 + Mscaler and 50 who prefer Dave solo or indeed I might me the one person and the other 99 prefer TT2 + Mscaler and so I am very wary of influencing you too much but for me at least the solo Dave listening has today just reinforced what a class act it is. This takes nothing away from the TT2 + HMS combination and I emphasise again that this is a very very personal evaluation and YMMV applies more than ever.

Not to be underestimated is that if you get a solo Dave then you are more than half way there to the killer combination of Dave and Mscaler! If you bide your time end keep your eyes open you could even get a bargain second hand Mscaler . . . . .

By the way I was using the TT2 Filter 1 throughout and I was using the USB to Dave and Mscaler from my Innuos Zenith SE which does not have optical out. Everything was listened to through my Pass Labs XA60.8 monobloc amps and Spendor SP200 speakers because I do not use headphones. I also used a variety of connections between TT2 and HMS including stock cables and other connection methods.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #13,534 of 25,865
Just to confirm, the Dave will accept both 120 & 220 voltage?
So if you move between continents, it will automatically accept that countries voltage to whatever you plug it into?
The DAVE automatically adjusts for input voltages. However, if you’re buying a secondhand DAVE from another country, consider the differences in the remotes and lack of warranty coverage (the warranty is only valid within the region of original purchase).

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #13,535 of 25,865
how the checksum process is performed
The sad truth is there is no checksum process for digital audio signals AFAIK (as opposed to data signals sent over e.g. USB which do have error checking and retransmission in the protocol), so it is quite possible that what arrives at the DAC input is not bit perfect. It would be very helpful if one of the test sites could do that comparison (original signal vs delivered signal) and report how much, if at all, is lost due to small errors in forming the digital pulses that might be causing losses. That way the industry would at least know, or eliminate, one source of worry concerning the quality of the digital signal.
We are still talking about a digital signal when it arrives at the DAC input. While all signals are 'analog' what this means is that the received signal only has to be clear enough to distinguish zeroes from ones reliably. Whereas with an audio signal in analog form, the equipment is tracing every detail of the sound on a base carrier signal. In the latter case, generating the base carrier signal smoothly and with plenty of power reserve makes a huge difference. Which is why most power amplifiers are mostly sophisticated power supplies with modulation circuits sitting on top.*
I cannot say I have heard any noticeable difference between sources once noise, cabling and generating software (e.g. Roon) are correctly addressed, so I am struggling to justify further expenditure upstream. But that is only my experience, based largely on auditions at high-end dealers. Very willing to hear contrary views from others here who actually own and live with better upstream equipment.

*I recall a celebrated Australian power amp designer, Peter Stein, once saying "it is like trying to paint a masterpiece with one hand while someone is shaking your other hand vigorously"

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #13,536 of 25,865
The sad truth is there is no checksum process for digital audio signals AFAIK (as opposed to data signals sent over e.g. USB which do have error checking and retransmission in the protocol), so it is quite possible that what arrives at the DAC input is not bit perfect. It would be very helpful if one of the test sites could do that comparison (original signal vs delivered signal) and report how much, if at all, is lost due to small errors in forming the digital pulses that might be causing losses. That way the industry would at least know, or eliminate, one source of worry concerning the quality of the digital signal.
We are still talking about a digital signal when it arrives at the DAC input. While all signals are 'analog' what this means is that the received signal only has to be clear enough to distinguish zeroes from ones reliably. Whereas with an audio signal in analog form, the equipment is tracing every detail of the sound on a base carrier signal. In the latter case, generating the base carrier signal smoothly and with plenty of power reserve makes a huge difference. Which is why most power amplifiers are mostly sophisticated power supplies with modulation circuits sitting on top.*
I cannot say I have heard any noticeable difference between sources once noise, cabling and generating software (e.g. Roon) are correctly addressed, so I am struggling to justify further expenditure upstream. But that is only my experience, based largely on auditions at high-end dealers. Very willing to hear contrary views from others here who actually own and live with better upstream equipment.

*I recall a celebrated Australian power amp designer, Peter Stein, once saying "it is like trying to paint a masterpiece with one hand while someone is shaking your other hand vigorously"
Does everyone leave both DAVE and Mscaler plugged in power on standby continuously? Is it better to leave Mscaler on all the time in standby mode or if not using for a few day unplug it. There is no On/Off switch that I know of.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #13,538 of 25,865
Does everyone leave both DAVE and Mscaler plugged in power on standby continuously? Is it better to leave Mscaler on all the time in standby mode or if not using for a few day unplug it. There is no On/Off switch that I know of.

I leave my Dave and Scaler switched on 24/7 and usually do not bother to use standby mode. The Mscaler has auto shutdown.

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #13,539 of 25,865
I leave my Dave and Scaler switched on 24/7 and usually do not bother to use standby mode. The Mscaler has auto shutdown.

I turn my DAVE off because I cannot perceive a warm-up period in my set-up. I mean the DAVE alone does not seem to exhibit changes in sound during its initial start-up few minutes. However, the Shunyata Denali requires at least 60 mins warm-up period before the airiness enters the realm, so I leave it on as much as possible.

Regards
GG

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #13,540 of 25,865
I leave my DAVE and Blu Mk II in standby and display 4 modes. I wished the DAVE had an option to completely disable the display.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #13,541 of 25,865
I turn my DAVE off because I cannot perceive a warm-up period in my set-up. I mean the DAVE alone does not seem to exhibit changes in sound during its initial start-up few minutes. However, the Shunyata Denali requires at least 60 mins warm-up period before the airiness enters the realm, so I leave it on as much as possible.

Regards
GG

Me too. I don't perceive sonic benefits either. So I always switch my audio devices off. But my set up is quite simple - Dave + active speakers/headphones.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #13,542 of 25,865
Me too. I don't perceive sonic benefits either. So I always switch my audio devices off. But my set up is quite simple - Dave + active speakers/headphones.
It’s the thermal cycling that kills electronics and why the DAVE and Blu Mk 2 have display 4 and standby modes.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #13,543 of 25,865
It’s the thermal cycling that kills electronics and why the DAVE and Blu Mk 2 have display 4 and standby modes.

So you are trying to say that - to avoid thermal cycling (which is supposedly disserviceable to electronic devices like Dave) it is much better to choose standby mode instead of complete shutdown ?
I'll admit I am not an expert here but common sense would suggest that electronics should be turned off from time to time - for the sake of its prolonged longetivity. As I understand its generally not recommended for electronics like laptops, TVs, audio devices to be on switch on/switch off merry-go-round too frequently- BUT is it really that disserviceable to switch off Dave completely (from power) at the end of the day in purpose to prolong its life-time and with regards to have a nice healthy sleep free of all unnecessary electronic smog ?

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #13,544 of 25,865

Absolutely. This is why I do not ever turn off my Dave or Blu2 or Mscaler and I frequently forget to use standby (by frequently I mean about 95% of the time).

I have mentioned before that I have an amplifier in one system where it has been powered up for about 25 years nonstop apart from 2 house moves. All that I have done in that time is replace the power supply capacitors about 8 years ago.

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #13,545 of 25,865
Absolutely. This is why I do not ever turn off my Dave or Blu2 or Mscaler and I frequently forget to use standby (by frequently I mean about 95% of the time).

I have mentioned before that I have an amplifier in one system where it has been powered up for about 25 years nonstop apart from 2 house moves. All that I have done in that time is replace the power supply capacitors about 8 years ago.

Well that is a problem.
Capacitors do run their course & have a limited life span. Constant use 24/7 & they will die/degrade MUCH quicker. If you plan on keeping a DAC for over 10+ years, it would be advisable to turn the DAC off when you know it won't be used anytime soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back