CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #11,884 of 25,867
That clarifies things.
When I lived in the UK, I used the NASA tracker, then typed in my location, and the tracker would list the days when the ISS would be visible to me, the time, and for how many minutes (usually about 6 mins max).
Recently I use the ESA tracker http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/H...tion/Where_is_the_International_Space_Station
Here in SW France, we have aircraft fly over every minute or so, so tonight when I saw a bright light, the first checks were no a/c noise and no navigation lights, which removed civil aircraft from the equation.
I made a mental note of the approximate trajectory, and checked the ESA tracker.
Yes the ISS had just passed over, on the similar trajectory, and was now over the Med, but still visible from my location.

Just google ISS tracker, and there are many links.

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #11,885 of 25,867
Where has the decision landed about the necessity of using devices likes the Sonore ultraRendu, SOtM sMS-200ultra et. al. versus using a laptop's USB output with the DAVE? Many members of site have posted about using these devices with good results while even Rob Watts himself uses the DAVE directly from a laptop. Are these devices truly necessary?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #11,886 of 25,867
I received a lightly used, mint condition DAVE today. I am having an issue using it with Roon. My setup is modified switch => sMS-200ultra => tX-USBultra => DAC. Previously, I used HQPlayer and Roon (NAA mode) with an Auralic Vega and never had an issue. With DAVE, Roon (Roon Ready mode) only sees the sMS-200 endpoint on the network only when I remove the tX-USBultra from the system. With the tX-USBultra in place, Roon does not see an audio device and will not play.

All I did was swap the Vega for the DAVE. I am using the same power and USB cables. Nothing else changed.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

After much time and angst, I finally determined that the tX-USBultra was not providing USB power for the DAC. Now that the power has been enabled, Roon sees the sMS-200ultra, and DAVE is able to play music. I am greatly relieved to have this troubleshooting episode behind me so I can start listening to music again.

Thanks to @dakabali, @ecwl, and @elviscaprice for your assistance! I am very grateful.

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #11,888 of 25,867
Where has the decision landed about the necessity of using devices likes the Sonore ultraRendu, SOtM sMS-200ultra et. al. versus using a laptop's USB output with the DAVE? Many members of site have posted about using these devices with good results while even Rob Watts himself uses the DAVE directly from a laptop. Are these devices truly necessary?

since the error rate of a usb system is guaranteed to be is 1 bit in 10 to the 12th bits, it seems to me that (aside from external electrical interference) you can expect to lose (or gain) a bit once every 10 days of constant use. this couldn't possibly be audible and doesnt require fixing. I assume adding more hardware in the chain can only add to the error rate (but it probably still wont be near audible)
Jeff

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #11,889 of 25,867

The devices you mention (UltraRendu and SMS-200 ultra) are ethernet-to-USB converters. If you cannot put your computer on or near your hi-fi rack (this is my situation) or simply wish to use ethernet's signal integrity protocols, and you wish to use a USB input to your DAC, then you will need an ethernet to USB converter and the two devices you mention are amongst the best on the market if not the best at the time of writing.

Regards
GG

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #11,890 of 25,867
The devices you mention (UltraRendu and SMS-200 ultra) are ethernet-to-USB converters. If you cannot put your computer on or near your hi-fi rack (this is my situation) or simply wish to use ethernet's signal integrity protocols, and you wish to use a USB input to your DAC, then you will need an ethernet to USB converter and the two devices you mention are amongst the best on the market if not the best at the time of writing.

Regards
GG
Yes, but the question is what technical improvements do they offer, if any, versus directly connecting a 2015 MacBook Pro via USB with the MagSafe power cable disconnected? I have read conflicting reports about the necessity of these devices with the DAVE.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #11,891 of 25,867
Yes, but the question is what technical improvements do they offer, if any, versus directly connecting a 2015 MacBook Pro via USB with the MagSafe power cable disconnected? I have read conflicting reports about the necessity of these devices with the DAVE.

I prefer the UltraRendu powered by Uptone LPS-1.2 and ghent audio Gotham DC cable over my PC's direct USB connection. I am not technically minded but I guess my PC's USB output is polluted by electrical noise whereas the sound from my DAVE is sublime with the UltraRendu solution over ethernet (and ultimately USB) in my installation.

Regards
GG

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #11,892 of 25,867
I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between feeding my DAVE from optical vs feeding it from USB using an ISO REGEN powered by an LPS-1.2.

Using the robust stock DC cable for the LPS-1.2 rather than a small CCTV male/male DC adapter pretty much eliminated the differences between the optical and USB paths.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #11,894 of 25,867
Is it worth to get the Dave in 2018? I have hugo2, idk if it a good go to upgrade to Dave at this time. Please share your opinion.

I would say it depends on what you are going to use it for. If you will always use it with an external amplifier or if the power output of the Dave is more than enough for your headphones then the transparency of the Dave is unbeaten and Dave is still better than any other option in the Chord line up including the TT2. However if you want more power either for headphones or to use direct with efficient speakers then TT2 is better, not in terms of absolute sound but in terms of it's power output.

Rob Watts has previously said that he is not even contemplating a Dave 2 at the moment because it is supreme and will remain that way for some time to come.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #11,895 of 25,867
Is it worth to get the Dave in 2018? I have hugo2, idk if it a good go to upgrade to Dave at this time. Please share your opinion.

In 2018, knowing how reportedly "transformative" is the M Scaler even when one starts from a DAVE, in my opinion it makes sense to buy a DAVE only if one is willing / has the budget to add the M Scaler (Hugo or Blu2 depending on budget and usage model).

So, we are talking about a 12.5kEuro budget at list price, and you are at the top of the Chord DAC ecosystem. You may consider if there are other options from other vendors at a 12.5k price point, especially if you don't need the 2W digital amplifier built-in the DAVE.

If you are on a fixed (DAVE) budget, some have offered that the upcoming Hugo TT2 + Hugo M Scaler combo is going to provide a better value in terms of sound quality and versatility, especially if you can exploit the higher output power of the TT2.

Of course, an advantage of buying a DAVE in 2018 is that you can find very good deals in the 2nd hand market if you are open to that and a bit patient, and build a DAVE + Hugo M Scaler or even (in a few months from now, when the used Blu2 prices will drop further) even a DAVE + Blu MkII combo for a price similar to a new DAVE alone.

Another upgrade path would be to add the M Scaler to your Hugo2, as many have reported an huge sound quality increase, and upgrade the Hugo2 to the TT2 or DAVE next.

Just my 2C...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back