CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #11,701 of 25,988
Not just a preamp but a digital preamp with the ability to feed a dx signal into the dx amp. A normal preamp would not have dx signal capability only volume and 1st stage amplification.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #11,702 of 25,988
Not just a preamp but a digital preamp with the ability to feed a dx signal into the dx amp. A normal preamp would not have dx signal capability only volume and 1st stage amplification.
Thanks @musickid. What is so special about the DX signal to keep DAVE just as a digital preamp? According to this statement it is actually an extended regular 705/768 kHz signal:
The only difference between Dave's DX output (that is the digital OP to connect to a DX power pulse array amp) and a regular 705/768 kHz signal, is the DX has volume control information embedded in the user data. So when Dave is used with a DX power amp then Dave becomes a DX pre-amp, as it controls the volume.

If the volume control is no must have (e.g. it can be done with software) a direct connection between the blu2 and the DX amp would deliver the same quality, wouldn't it? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #11,703 of 25,988
If the volume control is no must have (e.g. it can be done with software) a direct connection between the blu2 and the DX amp would deliver the same quality, wouldn't it? Thanks.

I don’t think that Blu2 can output DX volume control so with a Blu2 one would need a Dave or possibly instead a version of the DX amp that has volume control built in. However, the HMS can output DX volume control and so this can go direct to the DX amp without any intermediate device.

Please note that this is only what I think and my work will need to be marked by the teacher (aka RW) before it has any validity.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #11,704 of 25,988
I don’t think that Blu2 can output DX volume control so with a Blu2 one would need a Dave or possibly instead a version of the DX amp that has volume control built in. However, the HMS can output DX volume control and so this can go direct to the DX amp without any intermediate device.

Please note that this is only what I think and my work will need to be marked by the teacher (aka RW) before it has any validity.
I think you are right and it is a valid scenario that Blu2 sends "only" a regular 705/768 kHz signal without the necessary volume control info. Anyway, in this scenario DAVE would be the most expensive volume control button in the hifi history :ksc75smile:

Based on all these assuptions I think that DAVE is an excellent future prove device for all who use it with headphones and/or near-field.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #11,705 of 25,988
I think you are right and it is a valid scenario that Blu2 sends "only" a regular 705/768 kHz signal without the necessary volume control info. Anyway, in this scenario DAVE would be the most expensive volume control button in the hifi history :ksc75smile:

Based on all these assuptions I think that DAVE is an excellent future prove device for all who use it with headphones and/or near-field.

Dave is also STUNNING with analogue power amplifiers. I think one would struggle to find better and I am very very happy with the sound that I get with my mono power amps fed direct from Dave. There is a role in this house for Dave to do that for many more years to come.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #11,706 of 25,988
Dave is also STUNNING with analogue power amplifiers. I think one would struggle to find better and I am very very happy with the sound that I get with my mono power amps fed direct from Dave. There is a role in this house for Dave to do that for many more years to come.
I agree. As I mentioned in my original post it's all about how to reproduce the same magical SQ some of us experience near-field - in a poweramp environment with the future DX digital DAC/amp. With special focus on the role DAVE might play in this (future) environment.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #11,707 of 25,988
I think regarding dave my instinct tells me there is more to it than merely imbedded volume adjustment with dx signal out.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #11,708 of 25,988
I think regarding dave my instinct tells me there is more to it than merely imbedded volume adjustment with dx signal out.
Well I know it's all about speculation but at least the quote from RW seems to clearly position the Chord DACs according to different amp user segments:
  • users of traditional power amps should take the Qutest in order to get a taste of the Chord magic
  • users of the Hugo2 should (but need not) use it as a 1W amp. For more power AND the full Chord magic these users must wait for the future DX digital integrated amp
  • users of the DAVE should (but need not) use it as a 2W amp. For more power AND the full Chord magic these users must wait for the future DX digital power amp
My instinct tells me to agree with @musickid 's instinct: I can imagine there will be a DX digital (power?) amp version which include a full DAVE (and maybe an Mscaler?!) and an other version that only implements the powered version of the last (DAC) stage of DAVE - and would be a significantly cheaper solution specifically for existing DAVE owners.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #11,709 of 25,988
Well I know it's all about speculation but at least the quote from RW seems to clearly position the Chord DACs according to different amp user segments:
  • users of traditional power amps should take the Qutest in order to get a taste of the Chord magic
  • users of the Hugo2 should (but need not) use it as a 1W amp. For more power AND the full Chord magic these users must wait for the future DX digital integrated amp
  • users of the DAVE should (but need not) use it as a 2W amp. For more power AND the full Chord magic these users must wait for the future DX digital power amp
My instinct tells me to agree with @musickid 's instinct: I can imagine there will be a DX digital (power?) amp version which include a full DAVE (and maybe an Mscaler?!) and an other version that only implements the powered version of the last (DAC) stage of DAVE - and would be a significantly cheaper solution specifically for existing DAVE owners.

As I understand it, the HTT2 has surpassed DAVE for near field use in some respects due to its 10W output. Coupled with HMS this would be a dream setup for HP/Nearfield without the need for the DX amps and additional cabling.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #11,710 of 25,988
I wonder will there be 10 element and 20 element pulse array amplifiers and also which will be released first? I have just got a pair of Shure SE846 headphones for my Mojo. I have tried them with the Dave and Blu2. It is amazing how transparent the Dave headphone output is. My current analog amplification and my loudspeakers come no where close. I am looking forward to the DX amplifier equivalent to the Dave.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #11,711 of 25,988
Or you could just get some efficient speakers, now, and be in heaven with DAVE driving them directly.:smile_phones:

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #11,712 of 25,988
Or you could just get some efficient speakers, now, and be in heaven with DAVE driving them directly.:smile_phones:
I am in contact with Louis to order a custom Omega SAM 6 XRS. Do you thing the Omegas are first of all near-field or could deliver their excellent SQ also with a poweramp? I think a future 20W DX poweramp/DAC could even increase their performance (and make them sound louder, too) with DAVE.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #11,714 of 25,988
I am in contact with Louis to order a custom Omega SAM 6 XRS. Do you thing the Omegas are first of all near-field or could deliver their excellent SQ also with a poweramp? I think a future 20W DX poweramp/DAC could even increase their performance (and make them sound louder, too) with DAVE.

Those Omegas can be driven best with DAVE alone, no power amp. You will get the best resolution doing so. Any other component added will be a compromise of that resolution, often in no small manner. Future Chord DX amps will be the exception at no loss of resolution,. I get all the volume I need with DAVE in nearfield or small to medium size room (need sub).
Regardless your going to eventually want a sub with any of those Omega speakers. I think a REL goes very well with the Omegas.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #11,715 of 25,988
Just noticed a red light projected from the top of the DAVE. Does anyone know what this signifies? I can only find time sadly to listen to music on weekends and have been turning DAVE off during the week and leaving in standby mode all weekend. Would it hurt just to leave on 24-7 and is there any significant energy waste in doing so??

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back