CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 30, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #11,312 of 25,883
Still confused here... some of you are saying external clocking is not beneficial and some are saying all clocking have a cumulative effect therefore beneficial.
Would using a device like Mutec 3+ usb or Singxer su-1 and using AES input on the Dave be beneficial or useless? Not just in theory but based on experience?

May 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #11,313 of 25,883
Still confused here... some of you are saying external clocking is not beneficial and some are saying all clocking have a cumulative effect therefore beneficial.
Would using a device like Mutec 3+ usb or Singxer su-1 and using AES input on the Dave be beneficial or useless? Not just in theory but based on experience?

I have no experience with the Singxer su-1 and was not completely convinced of the Mutec MC-3+ USB (I returned it, when I had the Auralic Vega DAC), but from my personal experience, external clocking can be really beneficial. I like a combination of a SOtM tX-USBultra and an Uptone ISO Regen very much with the DAVE. Imho, both have different effects, however. The tX-USBultra adds space to the soundstage and allows even better resolution (but can sound a bit thin and unengaged), whereas the ISO Regen leads to a fuller sound with better dynamics. I like the combination of these units very much. The PSU of the ISO Regen is quite ok (LPS-1.2 and Paul Hynes SR4 are better of course), but be sure to replace the PSU of the tX-USBultra, which is extremely noisy.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #11,314 of 25,883
I have no experience with the Singxer su-1 and was not completely convinced of the Mutec MC-3+ USB (I returned it, when I had the Auralic Vega DAC), but from my personal experience, external clocking can be really beneficial. I like a combination of a SOtM tX-USBultra and an Uptone ISO Regen very much with the DAVE. Imho, both have different effects, however. The tX-USBultra adds space to the soundstage and allows even better resolution (but can sound a bit thin and unengaged), whereas the ISO Regen leads to a fuller sound with better dynamics. I like the combination of these units very much. The PSU of the ISO Regen is quite ok (LPS-1.2 and Paul Hynes SR4 are better of course), but be sure to replace the PSU of the tX-USBultra, which is extremely noisy.

Thank you sir, experience is what I needed.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #11,315 of 25,883

Not suggesting it is the case with this particular question but in general, there is a problem with this hobby of ours in that we sometimes seek only our favoured answers when we ask questions or read reviews regarding items we want to purchase and we ignore the bits that we disagree with - irrespective of what is actually right. A very good speaker designer once said when hifi audio enthusiasts visit audio shows to discover new upgrades, by the time they enter the show, they have already made up their mind on what to get and in that sense, even if they hear a component much better than the one they have in mind, most will still go ahead with the originally intended product. And I am guilty of this in the past as well.

Now to the point... Rob Watts who invents/designs these great DACs has explained why external clocks will not benefit his designs. He has also stated why it is sometime possible that the added brightness external clocking brings may be to the liking of some particularly if the rest of the system if very warm sounding. Here is one of his previous posts regarding external clocks. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-326#post-12890487

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #11,316 of 25,883
I’m sorry to write differently from others on this, I’m sure it won’t help you forming an opinion.
When I bought the Dave I already had a very nice Ethernet / USB cleaning chain: AQ-SWITCH-SE, sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra.
When Dave arrived I did many tests with and without the chain and also with direct USB connection from computer to Dave.
I couldn’t hear any difference whatsoever by adding the expensive SOtM gear and the only improvements I could hear were streaming through my battery operated MacBook via optical connection (best sounding to my ears).
I will post a link to my original post if I find it.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #11,317 of 25,883
Not suggesting it is the case with this particular question but in general, there is a problem with this hobby of ours in that we sometimes seek only our favoured answers when we ask questions or read reviews regarding items we want to purchase and we ignore the bits that we disagree with - irrespective of what is actually right. A very good speaker designer once said when hifi audio enthusiasts visit audio shows to discover new upgrades, by the time they enter the show, they have already made up their mind on what to get and in that sense, even if they hear a component much better than the one they have in mind, most will still go ahead with the originally intended product. And I am guilty of this in the past as well.

Now to the point... Rob Watts who invents/designs these great DACs has explained why external clocks will not benefit his designs. He has also stated why it is sometime possible that the added brightness external clocking brings may be to the liking of some particularly if the rest of the system if very warm sounding. Here is one of his previous posts regarding external clocks. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-326#post-12890487

I’m sorry to write differently from others on this, I’m sure it won’t help you forming an opinion.
When I bought the Dave I already had a very nice Ethernet / USB cleaning chain: AQ-SWITCH-SE, sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra.
When Dave arrived I did many tests with and without the chain and also with direct USB connection from computer to Dave.
I couldn’t hear any difference whatsoever by adding the expensive SOtM gear and the only improvements I could hear were streaming through my battery operated MacBook via optical connection (best sounding to my ears).
I will post a link to my original post if I find it.

Thank you for your input and sharing your experience. Much appreciated!
I would have never found that post... invaluable information indeed from the creator himself.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #11,318 of 25,883
To anyone who enjoys the Chord Stand with Chrome legs for the DAVE.
I now know the safest way to remove the haze from the nickle chrome without damage.
PM me for details.

paul

IMG_8219.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #11,319 of 25,883
I now know the safest way to remove the haze from the nickle chrome without damage.
PM me for details.

paul

That Shunyata Alpha power cord is huge man! A bloody python lol!
I see you have a Moon 430 amp, can you comment on the comparison between sound straight out of the Dave and with the addition of the Moon 430?
Any audible difference in detail or tonality?

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #11,320 of 25,883
Does anyone have experience with Dave powered by toroidal balanced isolation transformers?
I’ve been reading a lot and They seem to be the only power “conditioning” devices which really work in reducing RF noise significantly.
Something like the Furman IT-1230 for example, although this might be an overkill In terms of current draw.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #11,321 of 25,883
That Shunyata Alpha power cord is huge man! A bloody python lol!
I see you have a Moon 430 amp, can you comment on the comparison between sound straight out of the Dave and with the addition of the Moon 430?
Any audible difference in detail or tonality?

Adding the 430 to the DAVE did not add but did sounded less than when using the DAVE straight to headphones. Using a tube amp from the DAVE does add more imaging effects.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #11,322 of 25,883
Does anyone have experience with Dave powered by toroidal balanced isolation transformers?
I’ve been reading a lot and They seem to be the only power “conditioning” devices which really work in reducing RF noise significantly.
Something like the Furman IT-1230 for example, although this might be an overkill In terms of current draw.

When you are using the Utopia or Clear direct from DAVE, I found adding a power conditioner of other noise cleaning devices did have small effects. Not all were positive to my ears but the Shunyata cords and conditioners made the dark even wider with top cans like the Utopia. Especially true when playing DSD256 tracks direct from DAVE.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #11,323 of 25,883
PM me for details.

paul

Hi. Use a polishing cloth that’s impregnated with silver polish they are available in most good hardware stores an some supermarkets like Waitrose in the U.K.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #11,324 of 25,883
Just noticed a red light projected from the top of the DAVE. Does anyone know what this signifies? I can only find time sadly to listen to music on weekends and have been turning DAVE off during the week and leaving in standby mode all weekend. Would it hurt just to leave on 24-7 and is there any significant energy waste in doing so??

Thanks

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #11,325 of 25,883
Just noticed a red light projected from the top of the DAVE. Does anyone know what this signifies? I can only find time sadly to listen to music on weekends and have been turning DAVE off during the week and leaving in standby mode all weekend. Would it hurt just to leave on 24-7 and is there any significant energy waste in doing so??

Thanks

The red light to the top just means the Dave is in Stand By mode. When it is 'On' it shows the green light to the top.

If you can only listen at weekends then it seems sensible to turn fully off using the switch at the rear during the week. At the weekends you could either switch into stand by when not listening or just leave fully on which is what I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back