CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 22, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #8,012 of 26,005
Does anyone know if Davina will include wireless network streaming functionality?

Thanks!

I don't think so. That's not the goal of Davina. Davina is really meant as an ADC- for Rob's uses, specifically, it allows him to test:

Native 768k file vs
768k file downsampled to 44.1k and then upsampled to 768k via Davina or Blu2
Native 44.1k file upsampled to 768k

... All using the same analog source (so no difference in mastering or any other source differences), and all using the same Chord technology from the start of the digitalisation process so differences will not be due to different ADC formats reacting differently to the Million taps.

This will probably set Rob's research direction on how else to improve his Dave, if at all. He's already gone on record saying he was surprised at the improvement the Blu2 added, so who knows what else is in store!

In short, this is not a wireless streaming product meant for the masses. It's something else entirely.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #8,013 of 26,005
  I don't think so. That's not the goal of Davina. Davina is really meant as an ADC- for Rob's uses, specifically, it allows him to test:

Native 768k file vs

... All using the same analog source (so no difference in mastering or any other source differences), and all using the same Chord technology from the start of the digitalisation process so differences will not be due to different ADC formats reacting differently to the Million taps.

This will probably set Rob's research direction on how else to improve his Dave, if at all. He's already gone on record saying he was surprised at the improvement the Blu2 added, so who knows what else is in store!

In short, this is not a wireless streaming product meant for the masses. It's something else entirely.

Agreed.  You'll be able to pick up a MicroRendu and Roon license for ~ the cost of sales tax on the Davina.  No need to overload the feature list at the high end.  I suspect people will want to mix and match on the desktop active elements.  For the portable line (Mojo/Chord/etc), lots of value to a portable integrated streaming solution though (Poly and H-Poly will be very interesting)

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #8,014 of 26,005

Native 768k file vs

Thanks. Yes, I'm familiar with what Davina is. Actually, I thought its primary function was to introduced the M-scaler as a standalone product and the ADC was an added bonus, given the fact than I don't see a huge market for it.

Anyway, I just didn't know if Chord had opted to throw in wireless functionality to support streaming services since this feature is missing altogether from the their current product portfolio.

I have no use for the Blu MkII CD transport, even with the USB input, so I was hoping to just add the Davina/M-scaler as my last 'box' to my two channel rig.

ST

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #8,015 of 26,005
Thanks. Yes, I'm familiar with what Davina is. Actually, I thought its primary function was to introduced the M-scaler as a standalone product and the ADC was an added bonus, given the fact than I don't see a huge market for it.

Anyway, I just didn't know if Chord had opted to throw in wireless functionality to support streaming services since this feature is missing altogether from the their current product portfolio.

I have no use for the Blu MkII CD transport, even with the USB input, so I was hoping to just add the Davina/M-scaler as my last 'box' to my two channel rig.

ST

Hopefully, next year there will be a Blu3 that includes USB and Poly. This will be perfect compliment to DAVE. It is superb value compared to dCS four boxes. Unfortunately, I can't wait for Poly addition. I will get a Blu2 first.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #8,016 of 26,005
Forgot to ask, will this Toslink to MiniPlug have any advantage over a cheap $6 cable to connect my QP1R optical line out to the Hugo2?? If it just a digital signal, my understanding is that it either works and is decided or not. Some claim glass fibers are better than plastic or the opposite. Snake oil or fact?? See below site.

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=365&osCsid=oq9tp7e2dcgtm73rjg0u2c8jq0

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #8,017 of 26,005
Mm..go for it. I've used the Sysconcept toslink. Reliable, durable and can be customized to the length you need. Or you can stick with the stock optical cables of the Hugo 2. Optical is optical and for as long as the tip is not damaged and it is properly cared for, there shouldn't be an issue with performance. You are invested already so why not invest in quality interconnects for a couple of dollars more?

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #8,018 of 26,005
Forgot to ask, will this Toslink to MiniPlug have any advantage over a cheap $6 cable to connect my QP1R optical line out to the Hugo2?? If it just a digital signal, my understanding is that it either works and is decided or not. Some claim glass fibers are better than plastic or the opposite. Snake oil or fact?? See below site.

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=365&osCsid=oq9tp7e2dcgtm73rjg0u2c8jq0

No audible difference between glass or plastic. There is also different implementations of plastic so you can't lump plastic in to one category.

Basically the diffraction/dispersion of light within the optical cable will either transmit the full data for 24/192 (maximum for PCM over optical), or the cable will only transmit up to a certain amount of data due to reflections. The cable should not, in any way, affect the sound quality with optical transmission. You'll find some cable manufacturers claim a maximum data transmition of 24/96 through the cable, but a good cable can transmit 24/192 if the optical output is capable of 24/192, plastic or glass.

Optical is unique because it's pulses of light instead of an electrical transmition (Voltage/Current) so it is, by nature, galvanically isolated and immune to RF and EMI finding their way through the cable and making their way to the audio components.

Sysconcept is a great optical cable manufacturer as their solution doesn't degrade the signal (regarding data transmission capability) when they're bent and they can make cables with a very tight radius. Be aware that the lens (the ends of the cable) can also be of poor quality and limit the data rate with optical cables. Typically, optical adaptors from most cheap manufacturers have poor lenses, but I trust Sysconcept's quality.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #8,019 of 26,005
If Hugo2 is meant to be a portable DAC then why wasn't solid state storage or SD Cards integrated to allow it to be a DAP. For me I plan to use my QP1R as a storage device via optical line out to the HUGO2 for my HEK and use the QP1R alone as a DAP for my IEMs and WIFI to use TIDAL with my iPhone?? But why didn't Chord not integrate all of this into the Hugo??

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #8,020 of 26,005
If Hugo2 is meant to be a portable DAC then why wasn't solid state storage or SD Cards integrated to allow it to be a DAP. For me I plan to use my QP1R as a storage device via optical line out to the HUGO2 for my HEK and use the QP1R alone as a DAP for my IEMs and WIFI to use TIDAL with my iPhone?? But why didn't Chord not integrate all of this into the Hugo??

Presumably because Chord plan to release the 2Go module, which will do for the Hugo 2, what the Poly will do for the Mojo.

There have already been posts requesting that the 2Go includes, SD cards, and SSD memory, so you might as well request any functionality that you want included, whilst the 2Go is still on the drawing board.
Chord listened to the feedback after CES, and do regard these headfi threads as a valuable source of feedback, that benefits their product designs.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #8,021 of 26,005

I wouldn't expect that anytime soon. While it is relatively simple to add storage capacity (seems to be enough empty space in Hugo to fit it), that isn't the show stopper. The issue is as soon as you add storage/playback ability, you now need to add functionality to control playback, add songs, manage music etc. Pretty playback interface for the device isn't that easy to do right. Hmm, how do I put it, the Chord devices aren't know for their pretty elegant displays. So once that is done, how do you add music, manage libraries, etc? Making anything approaching even all the functionality of iTunes would be highly challenging. Look at the auralic Aries, they had the device ready we'll before release as the app is what took forever to make,

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #8,022 of 26,005
Quote:
No audible difference between glass or plastic. There is also different implementations of plastic so you can't lump plastic in to one category.

Basically the diffraction/dispersion of light within the optical cable will either transmit the full data for 24/192 (maximum for PCM over optical), or the cable will only transmit up to a certain amount of data due to reflections. The cable should not, in any way, affect the sound quality with optical transmission. You'll find some cable manufacturers claim a maximum data transmition of 24/96 through the cable, but a good cable can transmit 24/192 if the optical output is capable of 24/192, plastic or glass.

Optical is unique because it's pulses of light instead of an electrical transmition (Voltage/Current) so it is, by nature, galvanically isolated and immune to RF and EMI finding their way through the cable and making their way to the audio components.

Many years ago I was using a Kimber optical cable featuring plastic fibers.  Wireworld 6 Supernova, which features glass fibers, was being closed out, so I scooped up a cable just to satisfy my own curiosity.  The improvement over the Kimber optical was startling to me.  To date it remains one of the largest improvements I've heard from swapping a digital cable.

I also tossed in a Radio Shack optical cable as well just to see if maybe there was something wrong with the Kimber.  It was indistinguishable from the Kimber, and just as easily beat by the Supernova.  In addition, a friend borrowed my Supernova and heard the same kinds of improvements in his system, so he ended up buying one himself.

Not sure why there was such a difference as given the above there really shouldn't have been.  Maybe it had nothing to do with glass vs plastic and was more of a refection of something else WW was doing with their cable.  YMMV 

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #8,023 of 26,005
Hi Guys

Just received my copy of the HIFI Critic which had a one page review of the Dave. 
The review said the Dave "certainly held its head high' against the £18,000 Naim NDS with 555PS DR power supply.

The conclusion was that the Chord Dave is certainly among the best he's heard...
"It is fluent, sounds sweet and has very good (but not class leading timing). It does everything one can ask of a DAC,
and has the mysterious possibility of delving into the future for the things one can't yet ask for!  Highly recommended!

The one thing that surprises me is the Dave was bested in terms of timing.  I know that timing is the badge of most all
Naim products, but still it was the design focal point of Rob Watts when designing the DAVE.

Kerry 

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #8,024 of 26,005
I've been underwhelmed by a few issues of HiFi Critic but realized over time I just have different sonic preferences than them. They tend to favour R2R DACs and amplifiers that have quite a bit of 2nd order harmonic distortions which are not my cup of tea. R2R DACs I guess can create distortions that sound like great timing. Whatever people like. I think that's also why in their latest issue with their annual awards, Chord DAVE was only a recommended DAC but did not make it into their Audio excellence category.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #8,025 of 26,005
I think these might be two slightly different senses of "timing". In respect of Naim gear, it's an emphasis on rhythm and phrasing, in the past possibly at the expense of other hi-fi factors like timbre and depth. I get the impression that Rob's talking about something rather more technical, although it does have an affect on such features, but also timbral accuracy and layering. Timing is something for which Martin Colloms has provided a sepertate rating for some years now. It's also possible that prolonged exposure to Naim kit will mean that most other brands don't quite match in that respect. As to which is more "accurate", that's another issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back