CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #5,911 of 25,857
If you are running with the stock power lead that comes with the LPS-1, I would recommend upgrading to the Sonore DC-4 cable, which, while a little expensive, adds more punch, weight and authority to the sound (still a little bright). As for the Utopia, I've got a DHC Prion coming in a week or so, along with adapters that among other things will allow me to use my HD800-terminated Black Dragon with that headphone. I was thinking about the Dana cable but couldn't make my mind up quickly enough to catch last weekend's discount.

I will try the Sonore DC-4 and report back. Is there any other option out there?

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #5,912 of 25,857

The problem with the race car analogy Roy is that I suspect you enjoyed just as much as your friend racing around the track. I wonder if a better analogy might be to food:
Mojo=Big Mac
Hugo=Sizzler
Dave=The French Laundry
In this analogy, we enjoy music with differing levels of engagement with the Dave involving us in the music to a degree much greater than either the Mojo or Hugo.
Just my 2 cents.
Michael Smith

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #5,914 of 25,857
I have the Focal Utopia underway which should arrive soon hopefully. Is that the best headphone for the Chord Dave? Or do you guys think a different headphone is better for the Chord Dave?

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #5,915 of 25,857
I have the Focal Utopia underway which should arrive soon hopefully. Is that the best headphone for the Chord Dave? Or do you guys think a different headphone is better for the Chord Dave?

It really depends on what you're looking for. The Utopia is very resolving and at the same time very punchy and dynamic. There's some good weight on the bottom end as well. At this level of performance individual preferences play a huge part in the definition of 'best' and 'better'. If you define 'best' as having a huge soundstage, then no, the Utopia is not the 'best'. Some may call the Abyss or HE1000 the best with the DAVE for the qualities they bring. Understand also that the Utopia is relatively easy to drive so there's absolutely no concern of drive ability from the DAVE.

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #5,916 of 25,857

Just like @x RELIC x has said,

When arriving at a conclusion that any item (in this case headphones) is better than another, or the best in a group of similar items, people need to state what criteria the items have been judged against.

The Utopia is getting very good reviews from Chord DAC users (and I would love to demo a pair, just as I would love to demo a DAVE), but if someone else's criteria included 'must cost less that $150', then the Utopia would rank as a poor headphone for them.

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #5,917 of 25,857
I have HE1000 with my TT direct driving them which sound fantastic, and would love to A/B the Utopias!

Someone here will know - @Rob Watts has said that the DAVE isn't a head-amp as such but a DAC with an output stage that allows the headphones to 'tap into' the data stream which is at a high enough level thereby negating the need for a typical additional amplifier gain stage. Is the Hugo TT the same design or does it have a headphones amp gain stage within it? 

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #5,918 of 25,857
I have HE1000 with my TT direct driving them which sound fantastic, and would love to A/B the Utopias!

Someone here will know - @Rob Watts
 has said that the DAVE isn't a head-amp as such but a DAC with an output stage that allows the headphones to 'tap into' the data stream which is at a high enough level thereby negating the need for a typical additional amplifier gain stage. Is the Hugo TT the same design or does it have a headphones amp gain stage within it? 

All of Chord's DACs are like the DAVE, no seperate headphone amp, from the Mojo on up to the DAVE. Rob can do this because of the performance of the DACs and he prefers it for the sake of transparency.

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #5,919 of 25,857
It really depends on what you're looking for. The Utopia is very resolving and at the same time very punchy and dynamic. There's some good weight on the bottom end as well. At this level of performance individual preferences play a huge part in the definition of 'best' and 'better'. If you define 'best' as having a huge soundstage, then no, the Utopia is not the 'best'. Some may call the Abyss or HE1000 the best with the DAVE for the qualities they bring. Understand also that the Utopia is relatively easy to drive so there's absolutely no concern of drive ability from the DAVE.

I'm generally interested in getting as close as possible to the actual performance like it was recorded. I also like a good soundstage.

The biggest weakness I noticed on the HD 800 S is sub bass extension when comparing it to headphones like the HE-1000. So the next headphone should have that issue addressed. I haven't heard the Utopia yet but according to reviews the Utopia covers this area nicely.

The biggest concern for me regarding the Utopia is whether or not the soundstage will statisfy me :p

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #5,920 of 25,857
I'm generally interested in getting as close as possible to the actual performance like it was recorded. I also like a good soundstage.

Sadly I think you will struggle to achieve that for most recordings, with all dacs and headphones.

By that I mean that for most studio recordings, with all the electronic instruments and vocals being recorded separately on different tracks, and occasionally some being recorded separately on different days - what you the listener perceives as the soundstage, can bear little or no resemblence to how the music was originally recorded. For such music, the soundstage is a fictitious entity, created by the sound engineers skill at editing, mixing etc, to create a synthetic soundstage intended to deceive the listener into believing they are listening to a 'real' performance.

In contrast for live recordings of vocals and/or acoustic instruments, the sound engineer is still normally using multiple recorded tracks, especially for a large orchestra, but at least everything was recorded at the same time. The editing, mixing etc, still creates a synthetic soundstage, but it will be less synthetic than for a studio recording.

Probably you (or any member of this thread) have the greatest chance of success if your criterion becomes 'generally interested in getting as close as possible to the actual performance as it was intended to be heard'. 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #5,921 of 25,857
I totally agree about mixes being contrived approximations, much of the time. That applies to decades-old recordings and a great many modern-day recordings.

www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/5700#post_13007102

The legitimacy of the following (admittedly, old) mix is questionable, but still enjoyable www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9J9FlarNOA

I reckon there will always be a division, in the music industry, between those who actually care about realism of the recordings they are making, and those who either don't give two hoots, or who actively pursue artificial mixes out of preference.

I will always prefer greater realism, in the music I purchase, during my lifetime.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiU_RWxwp4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_B1AB9nu8

For legitimately-recorded live acoustic digital recordings, Davina ADC should improve the spatial accuracy, compounded by DAVE's abilities at the DAC end of the chain.

There's a whole heap of people eager to hear what improvements Davina ADC may bring, and I'm definitely one of them!

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,922 of 25,857
I'm using the Sonore/Cardas hard adapter, which is better than the one supplied with the mRendu, but I might try the Curious link cable.

Actually, I'm now re-evaluating that. With LPS-1 and stock power lead it was clear to me that the Sonore/Cardas hardadapter was better than the stock adapter in my system. But now that I have upgraded to the DC-4 power lead (which is definitely better than stock) the best synergy might now be back with the stock adapter. I've now ordered the Curious link cable.

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #5,923 of 25,857
Just to tell you my two cents...

...two kings of headphones like the Abyss and Utopia with the same Dave directly connected, my question is:
the advantage of the more sensitive Utopia will be so good to give at this cans the first place?
This is for me the question... 

Best!
Nik

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,924 of 25,857
  Just to tell you my two cents...

...two kings of headphones like the Abyss and Utopia with the same Dave directly connected, my question is:
the advantage of the more sensitive Utopia will be so good to give at this cans the first place?
This is for me the question... 

Best!
Nik

see posts #5921 and #5922.

You have not indicated which criteria we should propose the Utopia to be the 'best' at.

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5,925 of 25,857
The best they can do, all his potential qualities... Not the best for me or for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back