CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 22, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #14,221 of 26,005
Can I swtich my DAVE back and forth between BNC input (from an MScaler) to direct USB input (from my computer) on the fly as a way to bypass the Mscaler? (This would be just using the input selections on my DAVE if I have both the DAVE and the MScaler connected via separate USB cables into my laptop.) Thanks.

(Oddly, I think I hear a little less distinct/detailed/solid bass with the Mscaler vs. what I am used to on DAVE direct. Maybe the MScaler needs break-in? Not sure. I'm trying to A/B test things just to test this. I use Meze Empyrean headphones. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. I do think I hear some more mid and high details with the MScaler, but then I'm not sure exactly. I hear the same difference on my Grado GH1s also.)

I've had the DAVE for a couple of years now and I'm a huge fan of it but I'm new to the MScaler. I'm also huge fan of the Meze Empyreans FWIW.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #14,222 of 26,005
Can I swtich my DAVE back and forth between BNC input (from an MScaler) to direct USB input (from my computer) on the fly as a way to bypass the Mscaler? (This would be just using the input selections on my DAVE if I have both the DAVE and the MScaler connected via separate USB cables into my laptop.) Thanks.

(Oddly, I think I hear a little less distinct/detailed/solid bass with the Mscaler vs. what I am used to on DAVE direct. Maybe the MScaler needs break-in? Not sure. I'm trying to A/B test things just to test this. I use Meze Empyrean headphones. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. I do think I hear some more mid and high details with the MScaler, but then I'm not sure exactly. I hear the same difference on my Grado GH1s also.)

I've had the DAVE for a couple of years now and I'm a huge fan of it but I'm new to the MScaler. I'm also huge fan of the Meze Empyreans FWIW.

Thanks.

Remember that the msc will lower the volume by 3db, so when you switch to the direct connection you should lower the volume by 3db to make a fair comparison.

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #14,223 of 26,005

Thanks.
Chord had a pair of Empyreans at their display at London CanJam. They like them according to their FB page.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #14,224 of 26,005
Yeah, the Empyreans are pretty darn astounding to these jaded ears of mine. Good enough to be my only headphone. Great soundfield with nice broad soundstaging environment with depth and a real driverless sound and sweet organic vocals with solid deep bass. And very non-fatiguing but crystalline highs.

Big, well-separated images. Good liquidity too, but not smeared or syrupy.
A nice balance of all factors. I just can't stop listening to them.

Just sweet, natural, and full of impact; no off-notes that I can hear.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #14,225 of 26,005
I've spent a better part of 3 weeks with my Dave now and it is proving my decision correct for selling the TT2 & Blu mk2. On paper the Dave loses out to the TT2 on pure driving power but in actual fact I do not really think there is much difference. The only headphone which I had to crank the volume up was the Abyss 1266 Phi, but it was perfectly loud enough at -3 db. As for the other headphones, I don't really find much of a difference. But what you "lose" in quantity, you gain a truck load in quality.

I am still getting awed by the transparency and musicality I am getting with the Dave and my previous TT2+Blu Mk2 cannot touch this. There is also no fluffing about with cables to reduce the RF noises and improve the sound quality, just pure audio bliss. I am even questioning myself if I still need my tube amp as I have not touched it since.

PS. I absolutely love the auteur with the Dave.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #14,226 of 26,005
I've spent a better part of 3 weeks with my Dave now and it is proving my decision correct for selling the TT2 & Blu mk2. On paper the Dave loses out to the TT2 on pure driving power but in actual fact I do not really think there is much difference. The only headphone which I had to crank the volume up was the Abyss 1266 Phi, but it was perfectly loud enough at -3 db. As for the other headphones, I don't really find much of a difference. But what you "lose" in quantity, you gain a truck load in quality.

I am still getting awed by the transparency and musicality I am getting with the Dave and my previous TT2+Blu Mk2 cannot touch this. There is also no fluffing about with cables to reduce the RF noises and improve the sound quality, just pure audio bliss. I am even questioning myself if I still need my tube amp as I have not touched it since.

PS. I absolutely love the auteur with the Dave.

And this is exactly what I have been banging on about with the Dave. The transparency and musicality is just uncanny. The tight and clear bass is something to behold.

I am sure you will continue to enjoy your Dave.

Mar 23, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #14,227 of 26,005
And this is exactly what I have been banging on about with the Dave. The transparency and musicality is just uncanny. The tight and clear bass is something to behold.

I am sure you will continue to enjoy your Dave.

you are right about the bass, it somehow manages to be more “organic” sounding than the TT2+Blu mk2 combo.

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #14,228 of 26,005
I’m a new Dave owner. Went from the Hugo, to Hugo 2, to Dave within a year. Tried all three with the Focal Utopia. I’d say the jump from the Hugo to the Hugo 2 is as big as it is from Hugo 2 to the Dave.

The Dave just creates this real sense of space. It was almost too much for me to take the first day I had it. I needed a moment to adjust. It’s just that the separation, layering, textures, and space were so transparent especially with the Utopia, I almost felt overwhelmed. I gave Radiohead’s Kid A a try just to see what it could do.

Now that I’ve had it for a week, I’m not overwhelmed by it and trying all these different songs to see what it can do. I’m just relaxing and enjoying full albums again but can still tell instantly where the improvements are.

I haven’t heard with mscaler yet but I did give HQPlayer a listen just to see what it could do. I didn’t like it since it changed the tone from Dave’s slightly warm tone to a cold tone and vocals didn’t sound as airy. I’m going to assume this doesn’t represent how the real mscaler makes it sound.
well i didn't really notice much difference between hugo and hugo2 and in some ways, vocals and bass , actually preferred hugo to H2

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #14,229 of 26,005
Any of you DAVE owners done an A/B with other top DACs?

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #14,230 of 26,005
Mar 23, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #14,231 of 26,005
Any of you DAVE owners done an A/B with other top DACs?

I compared the Dave with the DCS Vivaldi DAC before I purchased it. There was really no comparison. The Dave was way better in all respects, especially dynamics. As in the previous few post, the powerful, organic resolute bass from the Dave, Blu2 and Opto-Dx is something I have not heard in any other system.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #14,233 of 26,005
well i didn't really notice much difference between hugo and hugo2 and in some ways, vocals and bass , actually preferred hugo to H2

I only found this true when I tried the two with the Grado SR225. They weren’t transparent enough to really get anything more out of the Hugo 2. The original Hugo just sounded smoother and more musical with the SR225. With the Focal Utopia, it was easy to hear the difference. The Hugo sounds so much smaller and less detailed. It was a pleasant sound but didn’t bring that much out of the Utopia’s. The Hugo 2 was much more impressive but sounded a little thin with the white filter. Really only liked it with the green filter. The last two sounded more similar to the original Hugo.

Switching to the Dave is like removing the dac altogether. By that I mean I just feel like I’m listening to the music and not the headphone or dac anymore. It kind of transports you into the music. Really let’s the Utopia shine.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #14,234 of 26,005
I have experience with the dCS Rossini, Vivaldi, MSB Select, Yggdrasil, and numerous ESS 9018 based DACs to name a few. Purchased the DAVE and Blu Mk II. Case closed.

Never tested the totaldac but that seems moot now.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #14,235 of 26,005
Well heard the Bartok at Can-Jam on the Abyss, and was not so impressed by it. It sounded smeared to me, the upper mids and treble was pretty flat and lifeless. And Iown a TC so know the performance of it (immense) . I couldn't compare directly with the DAVE and Abyss, but did immediately jump on the WA33 and Abyss and everything sounded much better, way better in fact. WA behind the Aries Cerat Genus though, but still, nice performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back