CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 24, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #5,342 of 25,909
Sounds like I'm wrong on every point then. Perhaps I should just stop reading what people say about stuff. The Internet is a mine of disinformation.

Well, you can't reference to online sources for academic papers or a Master thesis without reason :p

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #5,343 of 25,909
  But shouldn't you guys be discussing this in Chord Hugo thread rather than in the Chord Dave thread? 

Apparently guys just wants to discuss about other products in anywhere but the appropriate threads...

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #5,344 of 25,909
If the Hugo can't have galvanic isolation built in due to its use of batteries, how does the TT achieve this, as it also runs on batteries?

The TT is run off its batteries (you are not wrong about this), which are charged from the mains, just like the Hugo. Galvanic isolation draws more power from the batteries, which, if not contunuosly recharged from the mains, will drain more quickly. That is why it is usually not a good idea to use galvanic isolation with a portable dac.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #5,346 of 25,909
The TT is run off its batteries (you are not wrong about this), which are charged from the mains, just like the Hugo. Galvanic isolation draws more power from the batteries, which, if not contunuosly recharged from the mains, will drain more quickly. That is why it is usually not a good idea to use galvanic isolation with a portable dac.

So I was correct on one point. On the other, can someone explain why the Regen doesn't provide galvanic isolation?

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #5,347 of 25,909
So I was correct on one point. On the other, can someone explain why the Regen doesn't provide galvanic isolation?

You'd get a better response in the appropriate thread for specifics about the Regen. Personally, I wouldn't use one with the DAVE.

Here it is for you. :wink_face:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #5,348 of 25,909
You'd get a better response in the appropriate thread for specifics about the Regen. Personally, I wouldn't use one with the DAVE.

Here it is for you. :wink_face:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

Since someone in this thread said the Regen doesn't provide galvanic isolation, it seem d a natural enough question to ask. Frankly, I'm not that bothered.

I don't use a Regen with the Dave, but I do use a PS Audio LANRover. However, since this is not a Chord product, nor a boutique brand, and contains no magnets, it's probably best discussed elsewhere :)

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #5,349 of 25,909
Since someone in this thread said the Regen doesn't provide galvanic isolation, it seem d a natural enough question to ask. Frankly, I'm not that bothered.

I don't use a Regen with the Dave, but I do use a PS Audio LANRover. However, since this is not a Chord product, nor a boutique brand, and contains no magnets, it's probably best discussed elsewhere :)

I'm not bothered either. I just thought I'd give you a direct path to the answer to your question as it's been discussed recently in the Regen specific thread (skip to the last page for your answers).

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #5,352 of 25,909

John Swenson explains:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-isolator-advice-needed-23475/#post401322

I believe this is true about the microRendu too.  

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #5,353 of 25,909

Rob Watts has already explained many times that you cannot have galvanic isolation in a mobile battery powered unit, because the increased current drain greatly reduces the time that the battery will last before needing recharging.
So if you want a DAC with Hugo type sound quality, and galvanic isolation, then you have to buy a desktop based solution, and the two products already exist - 2Qute and Hugo TT.

But the question remains, is it technically impossible to include proper galvanic isolation in a portable product? Or is it just the question of  it needing a better more powerful battery?
A HUGO Mark II or portable DAVE if you will, could have twice or quadruple or maybe even ten times? the capacity of the current tiny battery in HUGO  and still be small and portable enough for more serious use than playing music while jogging or whatever the original purpose  of miniature pocketable DACs  like HUGO and Mojo were, couldn´t it?
What I am trying to say is that I am sure that apart from me there must be many others who want a truly highend DAC that can both be used in a HIFI system and with headphones equally easily. And  still provide SOTA SQ in an easily portable/batttery powered format.
And have enough power to drive even some real heavy-weight power-hungry headphones around with  ease.
Hugo struggled a bit with HEK for example compared to both DAVE and Benchmark DAC2 which drives it easily.
And frankly good as it can sound even my HD800 sound a bit thin  and lacking in body,via HUGO compared to both  DAVE and my Benchmark DAC 2 HGC.
I travelled with my Benchmark two winters before I got my HUGO. And if Chord were to bring out a new  portable DAC even twice the size and weight of HUGO that still runs on batteries and has near DAVE  SOTA SQ,it would still be less than half the size and weight of my Benchmark DAC 2 HGC which has to be plugged in to work. I would of course balk at any  big price increase over HUGO. Mojo has already proven what can be done at an even cheaper than HUGO 1 price.
It just takes a wise man to get  it done, doesn´t it?

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #5,354 of 25,909
But the question remains, is it technically impossible to include proper galvanic isolation in a portable product? Or is it just the question of  it needing a better more powerful battery?
A HUGO Mark II or portable DAVE if you will, could have twice or quadruple or maybe even ten times? the capacity of the current tiny battery in HUGO  and still be small and portable enough for more serious use than playing music while jogging or whatever the original purpose  of miniature pocketable DACs  like HUGO and Mojo were, couldn´t it?
What I am trying to say is that I am sure that apart from me there must be many others who want a truly highend DAC that can both be used in a HIFI system and with headphones equally easily. And  still provide SOTA SQ in an easily portable/batttery powered format.
And have enough power to drive even some real heavy-weight power-hungry headphones around with  ease.
Hugo struggled a bit with HEK for example compared to both DAVE and Benchmark DAC2 which drives it easily.
And frankly good as it can sound even my HD800 sound a bit thin  and lacking in body,via HUGO compared to both  DAVE and my Benchmark DAC 2 HGC.
I travelled with my Benchmark two winters before I got my HUGO. And if Chord were to bring out a new  portable DAC even twice the size and weight of HUGO that still runs on batteries and has near DAVE  SOTA SQ,it would still be less than half the size and weight of my Benchmark DAC 2 HGC which has to be plugged in to work. I would of course balk at any  big price increase over HUGO. Mojo has already proven what can be done at an even cheaper than HUGO 1 price.
It just takes a wise man to get  it done, doesn´t it?
It's about the power drain from the hoste device due the the USB circuitry having to be powered from the power over the USB from the source device in order to provide the necessarry high frequency isolation so that higher sample data rates can be achieved and played it's not really about powering it from the Mojo''s or indeed the Hugo's batteries.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #5,355 of 25,909
I thought galvanic isolation has been addressed eons ago but it's hard to go through 357 pages. My understanding from Rob Watts has said in the past is that to get galvanic isolation, the USB receiver is powered by the source, be it your laptop/tablet/smartphone. Since Apple limits the power draw from their Lightning/USB port, if you have a well-done galvanically isolated USB input, the product becomes incompatible with iOS products. Obviously, it is possible in the future that there are USB receivers that would draw less power. But still you'll always be draining your phones' batteries faster if the DAC is galvanically isolated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back