CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #25,006 of 26,005
Has there ever been a firmware update for DAVE in the last few years?
No, not to my knowledge, and I can’t think why one would be needed?

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #25,007 of 26,005
Has there ever been a firmware update for DAVE in the last few years?
Yes, there was one a few years ago. My DAVE had to be sent in for an upgrade for the m-scaler to work properly. My dealer said the firmware needed to be updated. This was maybe 3 years ago, give or take. After the update, my m-scaler worked perfectly, where before it just led to static sounds.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #25,008 of 26,005
Yes, there was one a few years ago. My DAVE had to be sent in for an upgrade for the m-scaler to work properly. My dealer said the firmware needed to be updated. This was maybe 3 years ago, give or take. After the update, my m-scaler worked perfectly, where before it just led to static sounds.
If there was an issue with firmware not working with the M-Scaler then wouldn’t there have been lots of reports of this issue?

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #25,010 of 26,005
If there was an issue with firmware not working with the M-Scaler then wouldn’t there have been lots of reports of this issue?
There were several reports of this in this thread. It was a few years ago though, so I assume most people with older DAVEs got this straightened out back then.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #25,011 of 26,005
There were several reports of this in this thread. It was a few years ago though, so I assume most people with older DAVEs got this straightened out back then.
Surprised there were only several. I wonder if it was simply a firmware re-install or something else done rather than an update.

Perhaps @Rob Watts could confirm?

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #25,012 of 26,005
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #25,013 of 26,005
griff500: You can find the firmware upgrade mentioned in this thread. E.g.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-1402#post-17030766
And also some confirmation from RW:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-1402#post-17031175

My older Dave was also upgraded, so that my Dave can work correctly with my Opto-DXed M-Scaler.
Both are about an update relating to a different screen being used (screen replaced and therefore relevant firmware required).

I was thinking of updates that fixed issues, brought improvements, etc, rather than firmware updates simply due to a different screen.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #25,014 of 26,005
The only bug that is still there is crossfeed not deactivating when unplugging headphones. I also have seen a Dave getting instant lock to Dbnc while mine takes a few seconds, don’t know if there was a change regarding this.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #25,015 of 26,005
The only bug that is still there is crossfeed not deactivating when unplugging headphones. I also have seen a Dave getting instant lock to Dbnc while mine takes a few seconds, don’t know if there was a change regarding this.
I had some Daves here of different manufacturing dates.

Newer ones indeed behave different (better, faster) to DBNC lock. my older one takes 2 secs to go from mono to dual data when skipping to the input with Mscaler and is more critical to audiostream bit loss.

Newer ones also have a PCB components change.

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #25,016 of 26,005
I had some Daves here of different manufacturing dates.

Newer ones indeed behave different (better, faster) to DBNC lock. my older one takes 2 secs to go from mono to dual data when skipping to the input with Mscaler and is more critical to audiostream bit loss.

Newer ones also have a PCB components change.
@Rob Watts what is the reason for this Rob? Did you provide updated code to Chord for the newer DAVEs?

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #25,017 of 26,005
Would be nice to see Chord explore firmware updates for its DACs and M Scalers should Rob Watts identify improvements or new features. Given the global economy and interest rates, I‘m sure most DAVE owners would be more likely to pay a modest amount for a compelling firmware upgrade than spend thousands on new hardware. The DAVE platform still has plenty of life in it and room for new ideas. Firmware updates are a win-win for both Chord and retaining customers.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #25,018 of 26,005
sadly it is not set up to do it over the internet,sending the dave in and waiting for the process and return is a huge hassle

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #25,019 of 26,005
sadly it is not set up to do it over the internet,sending the dave in and waiting for the process and return is a huge hassle
100% agree. Chord's attitude toward user upgradeable firmware is a big downside for the brand. In this day in age, it's kinda inconceivable that they won't allow for this. Hopefully it will change with future dacs, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #25,020 of 26,005
100% agree. Chord's attitude toward user upgradeable firmware is a big downside for the brand. In this day and age, it's kinda inconceivable that they won't allow for this. Hopefully it will change with future dacs, but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree. Though companies like Schiit have created a good process shipping and returning products for upgrades— in fact the process to upgrade my Yggdrasil was swift and seamless. And Chord has an advantage because their DACs and M Scalers are very small and light. I can’t think of a reason Chord wouldn’t do this in this day and age.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back