CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 13, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #23,401 of 26,005
The 6000CDT is absolutely awesome value for money! 💿

Agreed, from the cd transports I've listened to it represented the best sound quality of any transport under £1,500, evidently I've not listened to everything, but at this price point it's main competitor appears to be the Cambridge CXC.

I was able to demo the Audiolab and Cambridge transports and I felt the Audiolab was the better sounding unit, more resolution and separation, and I preferred the overall sound signature, but these things are subjective.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #23,402 of 26,005
One could also look at this year released EC3 from Shanling to use as transport only..

http://en.shanling.com/article-IntroEC3.html

Hm i still have a Denon DCD S10ii collecting dust.. never heard it with my Dave stack..
Maybe i give it a try

014a2913f80d49ac6a947d39e0b59342.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #23,403 of 26,005
One could also look at this year released EC3 from Shanling to use as transport only..

http://en.shanling.com/article-IntroEC3.html

Hm i still have a Denon DCD S10ii collecting dust.. never heard it with my Dave stack..
Maybe i give it a try

Notice the twin psu transformers, just like my Sony CDP555ES, which is also gathering dust.

If you don't like it yourself, it looks like you could still get ca £900 for it 🙂

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #23,404 of 26,005
Notice the twin psu transformers, just like my Sony CDP555ES, which is also gathering dust.

If you don't like it yourself, it looks like you could still get ca £900 for it 🙂

I had also a Sony MDS JA50ES minidisk
Lol good 'ol times they were..

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #23,407 of 26,005
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #23,408 of 26,005
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #23,412 of 26,005
@Rob Watts

I found a peculiar issue with the Dave recently. I just got my Envy in yesterday. Got everything hooked up etc. I started noticing a constant high pitched sound on higher volume levels. Much to high in normal listening sessions but it was still there and annoying me.

At first I thought the issue was with the Envy as I never noticed this issue on the Ferrum stack. Upon further inquiry, I noticed when I put the Dave in standby. The sound went away. Later I diagnosed it to be the LCD screen. When using Display 4 and the screen goes off the high pitched whine stops. Seems like the LCD screen is producing noise which the highly sensitive Envy is picking up.

Maybe the Ferrum did not have enough headroom to accentuate the issue. Or this might have been a new issue. Anyone noticed this before? Maybe with other tube amps? Thanks.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #23,413 of 26,005
@Rob Watts

I found a peculiar issue with the Dave recently. I just got my Envy in yesterday. Got everything hooked up etc. I started noticing a constant high pitched sound on higher volume levels. Much to high in normal listening sessions but it was still there and annoying me.

At first I thought the issue was with the Envy as I never noticed this issue on the Ferrum stack. Upon further inquiry, I noticed when I put the Dave in standby. The sound went away. Later I diagnosed it to be the LCD screen. When using Display 4 and the screen goes off the high pitched whine stops. Seems like the LCD screen is producing noise which the highly sensitive Envy is picking up.

Maybe the Ferrum did not have enough headroom to accentuate the issue. Or this might have been a new issue. Anyone noticed this before? Maybe with other tube amps? Thanks.
Try to earth the dave. The rca can pick up some noise is cases. Earthing solved it with me or exchange xlr or rca

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #23,414 of 26,005
Try to earth the dave. The rca can pick up some noise is cases. Earthing solved it with me or exchange xlr or rca
I tried both the XLR and the RCA. Both produce the same noise. XLR less. I believe the cable is better constructed. Best Copper interconnect Arctic cables could muster.

I don't know how to earth the Dave. Will look into this. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #23,415 of 26,005
I tried both the XLR and the RCA. Both produce the same noise. XLR less. I believe the cable is better constructed. Best Copper interconnect Arctic cables could muster.

I don't know how to earth the Dave. Will look into this. Thanks.
Put a wire to a screw on the back and listen and other side to earth on the inlet. My high tone was imidiatly gone. I use unshielded rca and since than had that high pitch tone. Earthing and it was gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back