CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #23,296 of 25,834
I've just upgraded from a Qutest to a DAVE and in all honesty the music you hear is so good I'm not in any hurry to buy such things as the M Scaler and the expensive leads.
One thing I'll probably do in the future is maybe the Farad power supply.
I've no doubt people will want to go down the route of M Scaler and the expensive interconnects that are needed to do it justice but for me just re-listening to my music collection all the way through again is enough for me.
Thank you for your thoughts. Confidence-inspring.

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #23,297 of 25,834
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #23,299 of 25,834
Hi everyone! I'm new here and am thinking of getting an mscaler and a dave. But I've read so many posts now and it looks like people don't like the sound unless one adds all kinds of expensive cables, adaptors, junction boxes, power supplies, and all manner of stuff.

My question is can you just buy a mscaler and dave and get great sound out of the box or does it sound pretty obiously lame unless you do a zillion expensive system mods?

I live in a very rural area so I can't test listen to them.

TIA!
Most of the people who have done what you describe had the DAVE for years and raved about its SQ before messing with power supplies etc. As far as the MScaler is concerned there are some who hear no difference so it really would be better to listen before buying. Why not buy DAVE and after some weeks of listening try and listen to one paired with an MScaler. If you must buy both together it is worth replacing the supplied bnc cables with something well made but inexpensive. A search on this forum will give you some ideas.

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #23,300 of 25,834
Hi everyone! I'm new here and am thinking of getting an mscaler and a dave. But I've read so many posts now and it looks like people don't like the sound unless one adds all kinds of expensive cables, adaptors, junction boxes, power supplies, and all manner of stuff.

My question is can you just buy a mscaler and dave and get superb sound out of the box or does it sound pretty obiously lame unless you do a zillion expensive system mods?

I live in a very rural area so I can't test listen to them.

TIA!
Yes you can just buy them and get great sound out of the box. They are very very far from sounding "obviously lame."

You don't need an extra amp; with headphones you can have very good listening straightaway.

The system mods you mention make a great sound even better. They can be done piecemeal or not at all as you choose.

The DAVE + mscaler will form the core of an excellent system for many years to come.

Chord's service ethic means you'll get support for a long time, in the rare event that you'll ever need it.

In your position, I'd grab the Dave and mscaler.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #23,301 of 25,834
Yes you can just buy them and get great sound out of the box. They are very very far from sounding "obviously lame."

You don't need an extra amp; with headphones you can have very good listening straightaway.

The system mods you mention make a great sound even better. They can be done piecemeal or not at all as you choose.

The DAVE + mscaler will form the core of an excellent system for many years to come.

Chord's service ethic means you'll get support for a long time, in the rare event that you'll ever need it.

In your position, I'd grab the Dave and mscaler.
Thanks for the advice!

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #23,302 of 25,834
Hi, you will be very impressed with the sound of the Dave. I still am after months. Wait until you buy the scaler, in the meantime you "learn to listen". I've been a lifelong Apple fan but I have to admit that after experiencing how a Window laptop sounds, I bought one. I guess the difference is given by the drivers needed on Win.
In any case, I find Audirvana Studio very interesting.
Congratulations and welcome

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #23,303 of 25,834
Hi, you will be very impressed with the sound of the Dave. I still am after months. Wait until you buy the scaler, in the meantime you "learn to listen". I've been a lifelong Apple fan but I have to admit that after experiencing how a Window laptop sounds, I bought one. I guess the difference is given by the drivers needed on Win.
In any case, I find Audirvana Studio very interesting.
Congratulations and welcome
THank you!!

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #23,304 of 25,834
Just my laptop (Macbook) with qobuz
At some point you might want to try a dedicated streamer (I use Auralic but there are plenty of options). I’d be tempted to get that instead of the M-Scaler to start with.

Qobuz is good though. :thumbsup:

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #23,306 of 25,834
At some point you might want to try a dedicated streamer (I use Auralic but there are plenty of options). I’d be tempted to get that instead of the M-Scaler to start with.

Qobuz is good though. :thumbsup:
I agree, originally I was streaming my Amazon HD through a new iPad I then bought an Auralic Aries G1 and will never look back superb bit of kit.

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #23,308 of 25,834
Thank you, that's what I was hoping to find out. :fingers_crossed:
I have a standard DAVE and absolutely love it. The joy of the DAVE though is it’s transparency which means you can add an amp to the chain or the prescaler or other source and get the feel of those components coming through.

As with just about anything in life you can always upgrade and again the DAVE seems to respond to that treatment well, though for me it doesn’t need ‘more’. Upgrading the DAVE is very much in the realm of diminishing returns and be cautious of the ‘night and day’ difference people hear. This is a hobby prone to grandiose over statements. For sure there are changes in the sound to be had but non that are essential for the DAVE.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #23,309 of 25,834
I have a standard DAVE and absolutely love it. The joy of the DAVE though is it’s transparency which means you can add an amp to the chain or the prescaler or other source and get the feel of those components coming through.

As with just about anything in life you can always upgrade and again the DAVE seems to respond to that treatment well, though for me it doesn’t need ‘more’. Upgrading the DAVE is very much in the realm of diminishing returns and be cautious of the ‘night and day’ difference people hear. This is a hobby prone to grandiose over statements. For sure there are changes in the sound to be had but non that are essential for the DAVE.
That's true, many make claims that don't seem to be in reality. I use my Chord DAC with the M Scaler and all I did was upgrade the cables, the BNC cables that came with the unit seem very cheap, that's all that needs to be done and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg, I don't think it makes sense to spend $4k on BNC cables, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back