CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 22, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #22,922 of 26,005
Just to clarify - my R and D expenditure is funded solely by myself as I exclusively own the intellectual property for my designs. Some research that I do will not see a financial return at all; most work will take many years before I see some financial return. That does not bother me in the slightest, as the true return is getting more musical involvement - and I get those benefits several years before the new tech goes into production.

I was wondering Rob, I presume that you are in your 60’s, forgive me if I’m wrong, but it’s a well known fact that hearing loss occurs with age. So what does one do to get around the hearing loss equation. Your hearing may not be as good as it was say 20 plus years ago, so how do you get around hearing loss when testing new products.

I’m not trying to troll you rob, seriously I’m not, I’m just curious how you do your testing, as every single day I wake up my hearing is different from the day before, sometimes better or somedays worse. And I’m only 47, 48 soon. When creating a new product, is the testing all done with your physical hearing tests ? or is there a machine tester in the loop, also, QC @ Chord, I’ve noticed many posts over the years from people with technical problems with chords new products, does yourself or chord have beta testers who sign a nda contract to test for any problems before the product goes live, or is it just a case of release x product and we’ll see how much failure returns we get.

Again I’m not poking you Rob as you have always been legit in my eyes, but I’m genuinely interested in the process. If you don’t want or are to busy to reply its all good, as I was just wondering how the process went from start to finish.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #22,923 of 26,005
Yeah, but I presume you wont take a TT2 and some cash on top as payment ?
If you really want a DAVE my advice is to grab this one and sell your TT2 separately, if you can make it work financially.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #22,924 of 26,005
I was wondering Rob, I presume that you are in your 60’s, forgive me if I’m wrong, but it’s a well known fact that hearing loss occurs with age. So what does one do to get around the hearing loss equation. Your hearing may not be as good as it was say 20 plus years ago, so how do you get around hearing loss when testing new products.

I’m not trying to troll you rob, seriously I’m not, I’m just curious how you do your testing, as every single day I wake up my hearing is different from the day before, sometimes better or somedays worse. And I’m only 47, 48 soon. When creating a new product, is the testing all done with your physical hearing tests ? or is there a machine tester in the loop, also, QC @ Chord, I’ve noticed many posts over the years from people with technical problems with chords new products, does yourself or chord have beta testers who sign a nda contract to test for any problems before the product goes live, or is it just a case of release x product and we’ll see how much failure returns we get.

Again I’m not poking you Rob as you have always been legit in my eyes, but I’m genuinely interested in the process. If you don’t want or are to busy to reply its all good, as I was just wondering how the process went from start to finish.
Being in my early 60s, I can relate. My first high end system was purchased in 1987, 35 years ago. My hearing was far better then. 😄 But I’ve been careful with volume settings. Never listen louder than low 80 dBs, average around mid 70 dB. I can still hear the nuances of different components, tubes, etc. I assume Rob’s hearing is as good or better than mine. It turns out that humans can acutely train themselves to hear minute differences if that’s what they do day in and day out. If you build violins for a living, as a modern day Stradivarius, you will know instinctively the differences between wood varnishes, bow structure, string tension etc. But as a 60 something male, biology kicks in. My hearing is not as good as my wife’s. Never was, and never will be. For some reason, women have far better high frequency hearing than men. Not sure why. Perhaps somebody here does. But remember that 99% of music lives in the midrange (100 Hz to 3-4 KHZ). The rest is just icing. As Peter Walker used to say, a loudspeaker is good or bad a long time before it gets to 10 KHZ. Same holds for DACs.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #22,925 of 26,005
If you really want a DAVE my advice is to grab this one and sell your TT2 separately, if you can make it work financially.

I contacted nintronics to see if they would give me a tradein for my TT2 and cash on top. They said they would give me £4000 for my TT2 and with £6000, I thought he made a typo, so I did a quick google regarding daves and w.t.f the new ones are all sitting at £9995. w.t.f part 2.

I really thought I was gunna have a schit, as the last time I saw dave prices they were at £8500. This bloody war in urkaine and covid have made an absolute mess of our economy, and now they speaking about power cuts in winter time, and the funny thing is, we only relied on 4% from russias gas, which should not of made any difference to us as a whole.

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #22,926 of 26,005
Being in my early 60s, I can relate. My first high end system was purchased in 1987, 35 years ago. My hearing was far better then. 😄 But I’ve been careful with volume settings. Never listen louder than low 80 dBs, average around mid 70 dB. I can still hear the nuances of different components, tubes, etc. I assume Rob’s hearing is as good or better than mine. It turns out that humans can acutely train themselves to hear minute differences if that’s what they do day in and day out. If you build violins for a living, as a modern day Stradivarius, you will know instinctively the differences between wood varnishes, bow structure, string tension etc. But as a 60 something male, biology kicks in. My hearing is not as good as my wife’s. Never was, and never will be. For some reason, women have far better high frequency hearing than men. Not sure why. Perhaps somebody here does. But remember that 99% of music lives in the midrange (100 Hz to 3-4 KHZ). The rest is just icing. As Peter Walker used to say, a loudspeaker is good or bad a long time before it gets to 10 KHZ. Same holds for DACs.

I can relate to that, as I have tinnitus and depending how I waken up, its either a good or bad tinnitus day. I’m sure Rob can pick up nuances that others can’t since he does it nearly every day, and I deliberately left out the words “Golden Ears”, as thats a bullschit term for folk who just want to argue with Rob.

What I’m interested in is the process from its inception, to it’s creation and testing phase and from being released online, to then being in online stores and hifi shops for all to see and buy. Thats what I’m interested in, everything from start to finish, with particular attention being paid to the actual listening tests. He must be doing something right as loads of folk love his designs, me too.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #22,927 of 26,005
I contacted nintronics to see if they would give me a tradein for my TT2 and cash on top. They said they would give me £4000 for my TT2 and with £6000, I thought he made a typo, so I did a quick google regarding daves and w.t.f the new ones are all sitting at £9995. w.t.f part 2.

I really thought I was gunna have a schit, as the last time I saw dave prices they were at £8500. This bloody war in urkaine and covid have made an absolute mess of our economy, and now they speaking about power cuts in winter time, and the funny thing is, we only relied on 4% from russias gas, which should not of made any difference to us as a whole.
Lol I'm A Brit too so I know all about it 😖 Our country is an international laughing stock 🤬

It looks online like you should be able to get over £3k for the TT2. That would leave you to find £4k for @adrianm DAVE as opposed to £6k for the nintronics deal.

The fact that it isn't brand new is very probably not a problem.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #22,928 of 26,005
Lol I'm A Brit too so I know all about it 😖 Our country is an international laughing stock 🤬

It looks online like you should be able to get over £3k for the TT2. That would leave you to find £4k for @adrianm DAVE as opposed to £6k for the nintronics deal.

The fact that it isn't brand new is very probably not a problem.
The UK will get over this, I’m sure (although I hear Boris might be back, like the famous Roman general Cincinatus who he quoted on his way out of Number 10).

I am listening now to a lovely Harmonia MundI recording of a 16th century Flemish composer, sung by Stile Antico, one of my favorite British early music groups. Recorded in All Hallows’ Church in London by the inestimable Brad Michel who has engineered many fine recordings for this label with producer Robina Young. Qobuz has the high Rez bitstream. Great recording of acapella singers. Transports you back 500 years.

Let‘s not forget the Brits were the first to split the atom, design the first computers with Alan Turing, cracked the DNA code, and gave us The Lord of the Rings courtesy of Tolkien. I have faith in the British people that they will emerge from the current spate of bad leadership. Times will be hard for a while, but you’ve gone through much worse and came out triumphant (The Blitz of World War II, which destroyed large parts of London).

So, cheer up and listen to this fabulous Stile Antico recording!

Attachments

• 1771A1A7-8088-4BA3-9755-AFC67FAD2089.jpeg
    1771A1A7-8088-4BA3-9755-AFC67FAD2089.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #22,929 of 26,005

Age may seem like a factor until you see the youth aren't really better than Rob's age group in discernment and judgement in their audio reviews/impressions.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #22,932 of 26,005
The UK will get over this, I’m sure (although I hear Boris might be back, like the famous Roman general Cincinatus who he quoted on his way out of Number 10).

I am listening now to a lovely Harmonia MundI recording of a 16th century Flemish composer, sung by Stile Antico, one of my favorite British early music groups. Recorded in All Hallows’ Church in London by the inestimable Brad Michel who has engineered many fine recordings for this label with producer Robina Young. Qobuz has the high Rez bitstream. Great recording of acapella singers. Transports you back 500 years.

Let‘s not forget the Brits were the first to split the atom, design the first computers with Alan Turing, cracked the DNA code, and gave us The Lord of the Rings courtesy of Tolkien. I have faith in the British people that they will emerge from the current spate of bad leadership. Times will be hard for a while, but you’ve gone through much worse and came out triumphant (The Blitz of World War II, which destroyed large parts of London).

So, cheer up and listen to this fabulous Stile Antico recording!

Not sure if you have heard this one, but for me it gives me goose bumps

if8IGIC.png

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #22,934 of 26,005

There have been a couple of Dave's come up for sale on the UK hifi wigwam site over the last couple of months one I think was a year old for £6500 another older one for a bit less but older. A lot of the UK ones from the likes of Peter Tyson, Seven oaks etc came with 5 years warranty which to me woul make buying Preloved around the £6-£7 area a more attractive option.

My advice check out the Chord dealers clearance, Preloved, open box, ex demo or manufacturer refurbished listings on their websites.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #22,935 of 26,005
There have been a couple of Dave's come up for sale on the UK hifi wigwam site over the last couple of months one I think was a year old for £6500 another older one for a bit less but older. A lot of the UK ones from the likes of Peter Tyson, Seven oaks etc came with 5 years warranty which to me woul make buying Preloved around the £6-£7 area a more attractive option.

My advice check out the Chord dealers clearance, Preloved, open box, ex demo or manufacturer refurbished listings on their websites.

I did a fair amount of business with peter tyson back in the day, and passed PT on to a good few peeps here who were in the market for a Hugo 2.

For a second hand dave with a 5 year warranty, thats a no brainer, I just have to get rid of my tt2 and possibly my mscaler also for me to get a good deal like you mention.

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back