CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #21,166 of 25,851
Hi all, a quick question. When Dave is in digital pre mode connected to my amp the volume is still adjustable. I thought volume would be non adjustable, then? Should I just crank up Dave to max and adjust volume via my amp? My amp is a Riviera AIC 10. thanks for your advice.
You need to go into DAC mode by simultaneously pressing left and right buttons (see manual). Yes it's a bit obscure.
This fixes the output at -3db. Leaving DAVE in preamp mode and setting the volume to -3db has the same affect, but you also have the option to adjust the output to better suit the external amp's input sensitivity.

EDIT: Best to try both DAVE and Riviera controlling the volume. One may sound better than the other. I find DAVE's volume control to be very transparent, but it's probably safer to use Riviera's to avoid switch-on thump kind of accidents.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #21,167 of 25,851
Hi all, a quick question. When Dave is in digital pre mode connected to my amp the volume is still adjustable. I thought volume would be non adjustable, then? Should I just crank up Dave to max and adjust volume via my amp? My amp is a Riviera AIC 10. thanks for your advice.
By holding down together the right hand and left hand silver buttons on the top the DAVE will shift into "DAC mode"

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #21,168 of 25,851
Agreed so far.

This is where our conclusions diverge. There's more to an amp than the PSU. The HPA4 was very transparent, but ultimately a very slight improvement over Dave in terms of dynamics and soundstage.
The fact that the OOR sounds so much better using a balanced connection(8w into 60ohms) instead of single ended(2w into 60ohms) disproves that. The only difference is more power. I wouldn't have bought it based on the SE performance. Direct Dave was 90% there.

Agree, there's ultimately more than power that matters, so a blanket statement that PSUs are the only reason other amplifiers best the Dave's headphone out is pretty ridiculous. But again, the OP here as always is focused on headroom and volume, which most do not care about--adequate volume is a base expectation and is practically irrelevant. People overwhelmingly care about maximizing sonic performance of their headphones, which seems to be the constant disconnect in this never-ending debate lol.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #21,169 of 25,851
By holding down together the right hand and left hand silver buttons on the top the DAVE will shift into "DAC mode"
and not forgetting of course that ‘DAC Mode’ is really nothing more or less than ‘Fixed Output Volume’. So if the Dac Mode volume does not suit one’s amp it is best to select Amp Mode and use the volume control to obtain a more appropriate output volume.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #21,170 of 25,851
Well i'm clearly not going to change your mind with facts, but Dave's HP out has 1% distortion (so clearly not zero) vs 0.0004% on the Oor. As for the Hypsos, i liked it in combination with the Oor and wouldn't have bought the amp without it. Or without the xlr and power cables i used to test.
I get it, you like direct Dave. I do too. I just find it lacking in several areas compared to any decent headphone amp. Tested the Burson 3x GT as well. That had much poorer blacks than the OOR + Hypsos but still better than non filtered Dave. The filter/generator help You can put as many horses as you want in front of a carriage, you still won't make it a car.
I've tested everything myself and I have no interest in the current flavor of the month. I know people enjoy messing around and any changes they can call improvements, but I've wasted enough time chasing the latest " Pro tips ".
You need to accept that just because you like something, doesn't make it the absolute truth. Just like you say the Susvara/ Stealth are driven great by Dave and everyone disagrees. I was tentatively inclined to believe you before listening to them myself. Susvara sounded literally broken from Dave, and almost as bad with the OOR in SE. It was with 4x the power in balanced mode that they actually started to sound good. And I hated Susvara out of TT2 as well when i first listened to them.
It has nothing to do with clipping or etc. There is just considerably better soundstage, 3d imaging, separation and dynamics from a better amp.
If keeping the Dave on will overcome that, I'll gladly return the OOR :) but i doubt it. Listening now after keeping it on for 24 hours, I don't detect any difference.
I share your opinion. Listening to the Susvara through Dave's HP output is a sub par experience. No bass at all. Driving the Susvara takes serious power, you can't joke around with 1.4 W. That number was ok in 2015 but not now. I've tried many amps that can drive the Susvara and the OOR + Hypsos is one of the best, up there with Enleum AMP-23R and Trafomatic Primavera.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #21,172 of 25,851
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #21,173 of 25,851
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #21,174 of 25,851
Seems he only did 2x upscaling. I’m sure he wants the product to fail his tests. Seems like he makes the tests to validate his assumptions. Either way, consensus seems that stock BNC cables can get noisy. Crazy how he saw the noise floor go up.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #21,175 of 25,851
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #21,176 of 25,851
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #21,178 of 25,851
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #21,179 of 25,851
facepalm-icegif-2.gif

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #21,180 of 25,851
I know Mscaler's output it not so 'pure' in technical terms.. as my AK120 wont accept it and my Questyle starts with a crackle when starting a song. Prob. caused by jitter who knows.

But I dont care i only use this with a notably
jitter immune Chord DAC.. i follow my ears.. and they get happy hearing it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back