CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 4, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #21,121 of 25,853
Thanks I was just about to do a search myself, to see if I had jumped to any wrong conclusions or not.
OMG! In that video you linked to, I did not hear any electric guitars that I could pick out from the massive electronica soundwall I heard .
But definitely NOT my cup of Tea or anything I would EVER use to evaluate Highend HIFI SQ ,or even listen to, nor a film I would ever watch . I have to admit that I did not even care enough to watch the whole video. Cheers CC
I don't believe the video had any reference to the article, at least the video that was embedded in my version of the article. Commonly used cross marketing/targeting technique.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #21,124 of 25,853
Stupid question, would the same result be achieved by just increasing the volume?
No. No more than if you were viewing a scene through frosted glass and you turned up the lighting.

If you want more detail in the scene you have to reduce the frosting on the glass.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #21,126 of 25,853
Interesting to read that you are now hearing "tiny things you never heard before" with your psu change. But please excuse my ignorance,but I have to ask, what exactly is

Supersilent 13 ??

Personally I am not at all familar with it.
Is it a Pop Band Track or album, or what is it?

Now if "Supersilent 13" is NOT an example of completely unamplfied acoustic instruments played and recorded in a real acoustic venue ,to please a mainly Western Classical Music and also LOTS of Asian and World Music lover, like me ,who only EVER uses unamplified acoustic music as valid Reference point in any serious HIFI comparison context , could you please mention at least one example of such music in your collection? Talking dynamic range how about a Mahler Symphony or a Wagner Opera?
If S 13 is all acoustic and unamplified, my sincere apologies are offered here and now.

But again excuse me if I am a bit impolite and blunt and controversial, being CC , but if "Supersilent 13" happens to involve electric guitars in the mix,I may most likely "recoil in horror" if I hear it.
I abhor that instrument.
To me amplified instruments with such high inherent distortion levels reaching levels up to 10-15 % as electric guitars can and often do, do not belong in my view of HIFI .

Both of us seem to experience similar things by choosing another way to power our Chord dacs than the stock supplied one. And that is interesting. But for me there is at least one VERY important thing, where I agree 100 % with Rob, ie to use unamplified acoustic instruments as THE reference point in HIFI.

You mentioned Piano music which is an instrument like I said in my latest post I basically only need to stretch an arm out a bit to make comparisons between stock power and battery power with my humble Qutest/Mscaler to hear with a good recording that battery power sounds fuller bodied and closer to both my own piano and a Concert Grand as I know them pretty well, than via the supplied stock wallwart in my systems.
In my system the stock wallwart has a wee tendency to make piano sound a bit more like a digital piano than a real one.
Not a big difference, but it is audible enough even via my humble system and my non modded MF KW amp via my electrostatic speakers.

If my suspicions hold any ground ,to come onto somewhat "equal ground" so to say, in our comparisons ,if you play Rob´s own recent test recording of unamplfied acoustic music recorded with simple Blumlein miking in a church ,do you also there hear "tiny things you never heard before"? Or how would you describe the differences you hear with that recording provided you can play the native 24/192 version NOT the flac "cause" that flac streaming version left me with very mixed feelings about its recording quality, while it was still the only version I had access to.
Cheers CC
Supersilent 13 is a mixture of unamplified acoustic and electronic music. It is a highly dynamic recording.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #21,127 of 25,853
Was the Dave warmed up for at least 24 hours? It needs this for HP listening. Otherwise it's edgy, thin. Needs to be spdif in too.
I was switching them so no, and it was as optimized chain as you can imagine. And for me, after 2 years of direct Dave listening, it's clear that Dave's Hp out is...a 5/10 at best. Even with Meze Elites and 5k worth of power optimizations and SRC-DX and etc.
So I have an order placed placed for an OOR which just walks all over it with the Elites, not to mention the Susvaras (Not sure why they sound good to you). First step breaking out of the feedback loop lol, next step is A/B-ing Dave vs Lina with the OOR.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #21,131 of 25,853
I rest my case again.

You said it yourself on what the issue is.
Like i said, i've had Dave + the power stuff for 2 years now. The headphone amp still doesn't compare to a dedicated one, even with the Meze Elite. So let's agree to disagree. Dave's a great dac, but a terrible amp, and the pre isn't great either if you check Goldensound's measurements with the OOR.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #21,132 of 25,853
Like i said, i've had Dave + the power stuff for 2 years now. The headphone amp still doesn't compare to a dedicated one, even with the Meze Elite. So let's agree to disagree. Dave's a great dac, but a terrible amp, and the pre isn't great either if you check Goldensound's measurements with the OOR.
Lol...goldensound uses a speaker amp to drive HPs. And his Holo May and Dave has sibilance on his 'sibilance test track', when I don't get sibilance out of the track on cheap Cambridge 200m, ifi zen sig one, Hugo 2 or Dave. He doesn't hear the difference in cables. His system is mid-fi at best.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #21,133 of 25,853
Lol...goldensound uses a speaker amp to drive HPs. And his Holo May and Dave has sibilance on his 'sibilance test track', when I don't get sibilance out of the track on cheap Cambridge 200m, ifi zen sig one, Hugo 2 or Dave. He doesn't hear the difference in cables. His system is mid-fi at best.
That may be so but measurements are measurements lol.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #21,134 of 25,853
Hard to believe people who are admin and founders of the fb Holo Audio owners group and making content that dumps on other brands.

The other admin and Holo owner bought a Dave, barely broke it in and sold it under 2 weeks to be used as marketing material...

Hardly credible. If you still wanna believe em... So be it

Screenshot_20220704-213409.jpgScreenshot_20220704-213402.jpg

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #21,135 of 25,853
Hard to believe people who are admin and founders of the fb Holo Audio owners group and making content that dumps on other brands.

The other admin and Holo owner bought a Dave, barely broke it in and sold it under 2 weeks to be used as marketing material...

Hardly credible. If you still wanna believe em... So be it

Screenshot_20220704-213409.jpgScreenshot_20220704-213402.jpg
Well i know Golden likes his May stuff, but not sure what he has to do with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back