CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #18,346 of 25,821
I think DAVE is very good at exposing issues in the rest of the setup, especially the headphones.

Optimizing the whole setup is quite complicated, especially when it comes to adding external amplifiers.

For example, a balanced amplifier will give a noticeable increase in the soundstage which can create more listening pleasure even if it is unreal.

Or an amplifier that introduces harmonic distortion that can make certain files or genres of music more enjoyable.

I think the same happens when changing the power supply: as to the linear supply, these actually sound worse due to increased RF noise and noise floor modulation,

but for some it may sound better.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #18,347 of 25,821
I am not a partner nor a follower. Never met Sean in person and no affiliation whatsoever. I think the reason there is lots of buzz around the DC4 is that it is that good. I understand it is expensive, but a lot in audio is expensive. If you can afford it, though, you won't be disappointed.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #18,348 of 25,821
I think DAVE is very good at exposing issues in the rest of the setup, especially the headphones.

Optimizing the whole setup is quite complicated, especially when it comes to adding external amplifiers.

For example, a balanced amplifier will give a noticeable increase in the soundstage which can create more listening pleasure even if it is unreal.

Or an amplifier that introduces harmonic distortion that can make certain files or genres of music more enjoyable.

I think the same happens when changing the power supply: as to the linear supply, these actually sound worse due to increased RF noise and noise floor modulation,

but for some it may sound better.
The DC4 does not change the sound of the Dave. I have a very revealing system. I am not using Dave with headphones, but with speakers. To me, the DC4 just unleashed the Dave. I would describe it as an amplification of everything the Dave does well. My journey with the DC4 started because I was playing with power cables and they made a big difference--bigger than any power cable I had noticed before. I thought that if the power cable could make such differences, a DC4 must be even greater. I decided to give it a try and though I could at least sell it for a bit of a loss if I didnt like it. I loved it so much I bought a second one for my Mscaler....

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #18,349 of 25,821
I am not a partner nor a follower. Never met Sean in person and no affiliation whatsoever. I think the reason there is lots of buzz around the DC4 is that it is that good. I understand it is expensive, but a lot in audio is expensive. If you can afford it, though, you won't be disappointed.
Personally, it can cost any amount, but I don't care. I never thought of replacing the power supply inside the Lumin nor that of the MScaler, much less that of DAVE.

It is not part of my logic to disassemble the electronics to modify the parts, even in the face of a possible improvement.

If a component of my configuration does not satisfy me, I prefer to replace it rather than modify it.

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #18,351 of 25,821
The DC4 does not change the sound of the Dave. I have a very revealing system. I am not using Dave with headphones, but with speakers. To me, the DC4 just unleashed the Dave. I would describe it as an amplification of everything the Dave does well. My journey with the DC4 started because I was playing with power cables and they made a big difference--bigger than any power cable I had noticed before. I thought that if the power cable could make such differences, a DC4 must be even greater. I decided to give it a try and though I could at least sell it for a bit of a loss if I didnt like it. I loved it so much I bought a second one for my Mscaler....
Sorry, but if it didn't change DAVE's sound, what parameters did you notice improvement with?

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #18,352 of 25,821
My bell labs friend measured an improvement as I stated before on a Qutest .
There is no good reason to believe this claim unless your friend publishes his results.

Has he measured a Sean Jacobs power supply.

If he has, will he publish the results?

If he hasn’t, why would his as yet unsubstantiated and unpublished measurements of an MCRU power supply have anything to do with a discussion about Sean Jacobs power supplies?

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #18,354 of 25,821
Personally, it can cost any amount, but I don't care. I never thought of replacing the power supply inside the Lumin nor that of the MScaler, much less that of DAVE.

It is not part of my logic to disassemble the electronics to modify the parts, even in the face of a possible improvement.

If a component of my configuration does not satisfy me, I prefer to replace it rather than modify it.
This is exactly my philosophy: when you buy Chord, you are buying into a certain philosophy as to its design and sound. In this case, you are buying into the design of high speed switching power supply as a design ethos. Chord power amplifiers also use a switching power supply. You can say it’s what separates Chord power amplifiers from others. If you now modify one of the Chord power amplifiers to use a linear power supply, say made by Sean, it’s not a Chord anymore. You may indeed like the change in sound. That’s certainly your prerogative. But it’s not what Chord intended or designed. It’s not a price issue. Chord believes in the superiority of their Switching mode power supplies (e.g., fast response time).

To take another example, I own several Audio Research Reference products (preamp, CD player etc.). Audio Research believes in tube regulated power supplies. In the Reference CD 8 player, they have crammed in an entire Reference 3 preamp line stage and power supply into its innards (5 6HP30 tubes and a 6550 power tube). This tube regulated power supply gives the CD8 its distinctive sound, and even though it uses the same Philips Pro transport as the Blu, its sound is entirely different. You could muck about and change the tube power supply to a Chord style power supply. That would certainly change its sound. You might actually like it. But it’s not an Audio Research Reference product anymore. Just like if you swap out Sean’s DC4 and put in a tube regulated external power supply. There’s an idea for someone! That would give a Chord/ARC hybrid!

Audiophiles are inveterate tweakers. Somehow they believe they can improve the sound of brilliant designers with a simple hack here and there, even though statistically the probability of such a change improving the sound is near zero. Car enthusiasts do the same thing. It is a harmless but nonetheless expensive hobby.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #18,355 of 25,821
Didn't mean you personally. And it's not just the price that's the issue, @sm60 summed it up perfectly. You're not just buying Dave parts at an Ikea, you're buying a product designed as a whole. And most of what you're paying for is expertise.
Could it be better? Sure. Do i want to spend 6-7k to find out? no, i'd rather put that towards whatever dac will be top of the line in a few years. Be it Chord or DCS or whatever else.

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #18,357 of 25,821
Somehow they believe they can improve the sound of brilliant designers with a simple hack here and there, even though statistically the probability of such a change improving the sound is near zero.
...this isn't a couple of fellas with a jeweler's screwdriver sketching out ideas on a bar napkin and tinkering around. The people who engineer the changes have skills and knowledge too.

And BTW, people modifying things is how we learn. If folks want to post fan-mail about how pretty their little glowing balls are, that's fine, right? But I think we're not learning much from that.

If folks are tweaking gear it's to see what may be possible. And we might well learn something from that. Do you have only those stock generic power cables on all your gear? Maybe you do...but if you don't, you're tweaking too. Just a matter of degree.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #18,358 of 25,821
It amazes me that people who have never heard the Sean Jacobs DC4 or ARC6 power supply powering a Dave have such strong views about it! I imagine the reason that the Dave comes as standard with an off the shelf compact 3 rail switching power supply is space and cost considerations. Dave was probably designed to fit in the standard Chord Choral enclosure. Hopefully Dave 2 will come with a power supply commensurate with it's full performance potential. Dual optical inputs for the new Mscaler would also eliminate about 90% of the upgrades and comments on this forum.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #18,359 of 25,821
It amazes me that people who have never heard the Sean Jacobs DC4 or ARC6 power supply powering a Dave have such strong views about it! I imagine the reason that the Dave comes as standard with an off the shelf compact 3 rail switching power supply is space and cost considerations. Dave was probably designed to fit in the standard Chord Choral enclosure. Hopefully Dave 2 will come with a power supply commensurate with it's full performance potential. Dual optical inputs for the new Mscaler would also eliminate about 90% of the upgrades and comments on this forum.
How about a state of the art fpga that can handle 1m tap upscaling and the other filters, dual optical inputs and 2 dc connectors on the rear for those who want to experiment!

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #18,360 of 25,821

Users who are viewing this thread

Back