CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 9, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #17,731 of 25,869
I currently use a rather high end router in the ASUS RT-AX88U. I also have a Devolo powerline ethernet adapter that feeds goes to the Optical Module Deluxe, which in turn feeds the Optical Rendu. I got the Devolo adapter replaced to eliminate it as the source of the problem- which did not help.
Network connection issues are always complex and usually not streamer dependent (as in it wouldn't matter whether you're running Optical Rendu or 2Yu+2Go).
If you're running on Wi-Fi (the whole system or part of it which would be necessary for your iPad to control Roon), buying a bigger router like ASUS RT-AX88U doesn't always help because the new problem probably started because your neighbor's new Wi-Fi router is interfering with yours so now you have a bigger router to overpower your neighbor's router but your neighbor can always get an even bigger router. Moreover, interference is usually intermittent and unpredictable.
Powerline products can be very helpful if you can't physically wire your router to the Optical Rendu with a physical Ethernet cable. However, even these Powerline products work less well with distance which can affect connection speeds but usually for streaming audio, it should still be more than fast enough. Although for audiophiles who love using power conditioners, these power filters can potentially filter the signals from the Powerline products so one has to be careful which power socket they use for the Powerline products. The bigger issue is that now some Powerline products have Wi-Fi router built-in. So your Devolo Wi-Fi can potentially interfere with your ASUS Wi-Fi and together with interference from your neighbor's Wi-Fi it becomes a bit of a gong show.
Note none of the above discussions have anything to do with Optical Rendu vs 2Yu+2Go.
Ultimately, it would be best for @NYanakiev to describe the current network setup in detail and the connection issues that are occurring. But I'm not sure if this is the best thread to discuss the issue. Not sure if @NYanakiev wants to PM me to talk about this more or whether @NYanakiev wants to just post more information about the issues and then let people PM him back with some suggested solutions.

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #17,732 of 25,869
This is used for establishing network connection through wires in wall outlets? If so, it's not very reliable thing to use IMO.
These are normally super reliable. Things were going really smoothly until about a few days ago, which is what I am trying to troubleshoot.
It has taken a bit of time and effort but I'd rather do that than have yet another wire running through my flat.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #17,736 of 25,869
Is anyone planning on getting the Audeze Crbn for Dave? and if so, what amp would you go for? I'm wondering how it would fare with a Woo WES

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #17,737 of 25,869
The idea of those headphones is interesting but the necessity of an electrostatic amp and some very good interconnects makes it less appealing. At minimum it’s a $10,000 investment. I’d rather get a pair of Linn series 5 active speakers. At least one can be certain of their quality.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #17,738 of 25,869
The idea of those headphones is interesting but the necessity of an electrostatic amp and some very good interconnects makes it less appealing. At minimum it’s a $10,000 investment. I’d rather get a pair of Linn series 5 active speakers. At least one can be certain of their quality.
That’s true,but i’m not even sure i want open backs, let alone speakers. It’s not far off from the Abyss and a dedicated amp (since the consensus is they need one). Just remains to be seen if it’s actually better.But even if not,the weight and form factor makes it a more attractive option

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #17,739 of 25,869
That’s true,but i’m not even sure i want open backs, let alone speakers. It’s not far off from the Abyss and a dedicated amp (since the consensus is they need one). Just remains to be seen if it’s actually better.But even if not,the weight and form factor makes it a more attractive option
I was surprised by how light they are. Audeze usually creates head vises that weigh a ton. Given my recent experience with owning electrostatic headphones, I’d likely pass. They tend to lack bass in the moderate to loud range, after which they tend to distort. If you want something that’s easy to drive that sounds phenomenal on the Dave, give Meze Empyrean a try.

By the way, how do you like the sound of Z1R with the Dave & M Scaler?

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #17,740 of 25,869
I was surprised by how light they are. Audeze usually creates head vises that weigh a ton. Given my recent experience with owning electrostatic headphones, I’d likely pass. They tend to lack bass in the moderate to loud range, after which they tend to distort. If you want something that’s easy to drive that sounds phenomenal on the Dave, give Meze Empyrean a try.

By the way, how do you like the sound of Z1R with the Dave & M Scaler?
The bass is also my main concern. I’m one of tbe few z1r fanatics that still prefer it over most Totl headphones i’ve heard.Utopias would be my next choice,except the narrow soundstage…i loved the speed of the he1000se but hated the tonality. i’ve heard that the empyreans are not great from a technical perspective. I’d only go open back for something in another class,like the abyss or crbn (depending on the bass)

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #17,741 of 25,869
The bass is also my main concern. I’m one of tbe few z1r fanatics that still prefer it over most Totl headphones i’ve heard.Utopias would be my next choice,except the narrow soundstage…i loved the speed of the he1000se but hated the tonality. i’ve heard that the empyreans are not great from a technical perspective. I’d only go open back for something in another class,like the abyss or crbn (depending on the bass)
Both the Utopia and Empyrean were mentioned in the review article for the Warwick Acoustics Sonoma M1, which I owned for around 2 years. Either of those feel and sound better in their own ways than the above mentioned electrostatics. What really make them shine is a superb dac and an amp that’s well designed. Although Empyrean is not on the same level in terms of bass as LCD-4, in my opinion it does not disappoint in the least. Clarity and cohesiveness is fantastic, especially on complex tracks. The comfort level of these is simply beyond description.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #17,742 of 25,869
Both the Utopia and Empyrean were mentioned in the review article for the Warwick Acoustics Sonoma M1, which I owned for around 2 years. Either of those feel and sound better in their own ways than the above mentioned electrostatics. What really make them shine is a superb dac and an amp that’s well designed. Although Empyrean is not on the same level in terms of bass as LCD-4, in my opinion it does not disappoint in the least. Clarity and cohesiveness is fantastic, especially on complex tracks. The comfort level of these is simply beyond description.
Well this provides some valuable insight. I've kept thinking i was missing out on stuff with the Z1R before i compared them to the Stellia, Utopia, Lcd-4z,He1000se. I guess it's the same with electrostatics , since i haven't heard any so far.
I just prefer the Z1R to everything i've tried, especially since i need the isolation of closed backs .I have high hopes for the Audeze closed backs. The Hifiman HE-R10p just seem...insulting. They cost more than the CRBN and have a stolen design + cheap build.
I'm sure the Empyreans are nice, but unless they're above and beyond like i hear ppl describing the Abyss i'm not sure it's worth grabbing a pair. I'll definitely give them a listen next time though, who knows. I'm just waiting for new stuff to come out at the moment.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #17,743 of 25,869
Well this provides some valuable insight. I've kept thinking i was missing out on stuff with the Z1R before i compared them to the Stellia, Utopia, Lcd-4z,He1000se. I guess it's the same with electrostatics , since i haven't heard any so far.
I just prefer the Z1R to everything i've tried, especially since i need the isolation of closed backs .I have high hopes for the Audeze closed backs. The Hifiman HE-R10p just seem...insulting. They cost more than the CRBN and have a stolen design + cheap build.
I'm sure the Empyreans are nice, but unless they're above and beyond like i hear ppl describing the Abyss i'm not sure it's worth grabbing a pair. I'll definitely give them a listen next time though, who knows. I'm just waiting for new stuff to come out at the moment.
You haven’t been missing out on a lot to be honest. I had a pair of Z1R until moving on to the Dave and for the most part they beat the electrostatics that I had on almost every single aspect. The thing is, to arrive at that point, I spent a fair amount on Nordost power cords and Ansuz power conditioning. Likewise, Empyrean beats most electrostatic setups but at a significant cost. I mean, the Dave isn’t cheap by itself but with the addition of those other things, it sounds like a joke most people won’t understand. While Empyrean might not beat top of the line Abyss headphones, it’s worth having as part of one‘s collection.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #17,744 of 25,869
You haven’t been missing out on a lot to be honest. I had a pair of Z1R until moving on to the Dave and for the most part they beat the electrostatics that I had on almost every single aspect. The thing is, to arrive at that point, I spent a fair amount on Nordost power cords and Ansuz power conditioning. Likewise, Empyrean beats most electrostatic setups but at a significant cost. I mean, the Dave isn’t cheap by itself but with the addition of those other things, it sounds like a joke most people won’t understand. While Empyrean might not beat top of the line Abyss headphones, it’s worth having as part of one‘s collection.
What about your streamer? Still on the fence about those but coming around…

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #17,745 of 25,869
What about your streamer? Still on the fence about those but coming around…
Linn Selekt DSM with the Katalyst dac is great. It has a very light, transparent and airy presentation. A very satisfying listening session every time I use it. The nice thing about it is that it’s modular so it can be tailored to one’s specific usage, although the price can jump significantly. Naim makes some nice streamers in its classic line but for headphone listening I still prefer Linn because of its effortless sound signature. Naim is a bit darker but that may not be a bad thing with some speakers and music servers that tend to be on a brighter side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back