CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 17, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #16,936 of 25,876
I have A LOT of equipment running out of a wall socket with two outlets. One outlet is connected to a power strip that has all the following plugged into it:

TV, Auris Nirvana amp PSU, computer PSU, cell phone charger, M Scaler PSU

DAVE is on the other outlet in the same wall socket.

If I hooked DAVE to another socket with an extension cord I bet the hum would go away.

I think there is too much plugged in perhaps.

The hum is much less if I put an extension cord into the power strip and plug DAVE in that way, almost like it is farther from the electricity source.

I can live with the anti hum adapter as long as it isn't hurting my signal chain or sound quality.
Hi, Have you try put Humx into wall outlet and use it for power strip, and connect Dave with the power strip, is there still hum?

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #16,938 of 25,876
So 1 day after my Dave arrived.

First impression was "that's it?" but after few hours of listening to it and switching back to my RME ADI-2 I felt something was missing.
I can't put it to words exactly but music sounded more lively with the Dave while the RME sounded flatter and bit more boring.
Dave just wants to make me listen to more and more music.

I wonder if anyone else had a similar experience.

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #16,939 of 25,876
So 1 day after my Dave arrived.

First impression was "that's it?" but after few hours of listening to it and switching back to my RME ADI-2 I felt something was missing.
I can't put it to words exactly but music sounded more lively with the Dave while the RME sounded flatter and bit more boring.
Dave just wants to make me listen to more and more music.

I wonder if anyone else had a similar experience.
Not quite, but I have a Dave and wanted a dac for a second system so I bought an RME ADI-2 without hearing it because they are well admired.

That was a mistake because I couldn't get over the slight harshess of the RME with some tracks. The only way it was acceptable was to use an aggressive filter setting to tame the treble but that was not satisfactory so I sold the RME and bought a Qutest for my second system and happiness was restored.

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #16,940 of 25,876
Not quite, but I have a Dave and wanted a dac for a second system so I bought an RME ADI-2 without hearing it because they are well admired.

That was a mistake because I couldn't get over the slight harshess of the RME with some tracks. The only way it was acceptable was to use an aggressive filter setting to tame the treble but that was not satisfactory so I sold the RME and bought a Qutest for my second system and happiness was restored.
The chord DACs definitely have something special. Even the “lowly” Mojo is a truly musical and magical component.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #16,941 of 25,876
... But by far the biggest loss is on the analogue power amplifier - the digital power amp will solve it (I know as the early prototype had amazing depth reproduction)....
It's been some time, still wander what ever happened to this "the digital powe amp" prototype.
My guess is that "DX digital output" connectors on TT2 and Dave were meant for that.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #16,942 of 25,876
dave with oppo pm1 listening to i told you so by the delvon lamarr organ trio is fantastic. have a listen...

Attachments

• 1616101676184.png
    1616101676184.png
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • 1616101732474.png
    1616101732474.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #16,943 of 25,876
So I'm about to join the club.:slight_smile:

I'm interested to see how this compares to my current TT2 and I'll be keeping my M-Scaler to use with it.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #16,944 of 25,876
...and thinking that, to me, the HD800s is one of the most neutral headphones I've ever owned! :)
Unfortunately in my experience reviewers tend to use the word “neutral” as a euphemism for bright sounding (I’m not saying that you personally are doing this, just to be clear). When a Stereophile or TAS reviewer says an amplifier or a loudspeaker is “neutral” sounding, I mentally check that component off my list. If something sounds neutral, it’s not going to sound right with most recordings in my experience. Live unamplified music does not sound neutral. In a real concert hall, strings usually sound quite warm and full. Even a single woodwind instrument sounds quite majestic and full bodied.

Listening to my first orchestra live in Pittsburgh in the mid 1980s when I was a graduate student changed my life forever. I still remember that concert. It was the Sibelius violin concerto and Rachmaninov’s majestic Symphony Number 2, with Cho-Liang Lin playing the violin and Michael Tilson Thomas conducting. Magnificent rich sound. The hall echoed with the warmth of the strings and percussion. When I heard the first great soprano, the incomparable Jessie Norman, singing Richard Strauss’s Four Last Songs, I never knew a human voice could project into a large hall with that much presence. To me, live music is the golden standard. Headphones don’t come close to delivering that experience. The best speakers are still no match for the live sound, but are significantly less colored sounding than the 800s is. That’s my experience, in any case.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #16,945 of 25,876
Unfortunately in my experience reviewers tend to use the word “neutral” as a euphemism for bright sounding (I’m not saying that you personally are doing this, just to be clear). When a Stereophile or TAS reviewer says an amplifier or a loudspeaker is “neutral” sounding, I mentally check that component off my list. If something sounds neutral, it’s not going to sound right with most recordings in my experience. Live unamplified music does not sound neutral. In a real concert hall, strings usually sound quite warm and full. Even a single woodwind instrument sounds quite majestic and full bodied.

Listening to my first orchestra live in Pittsburgh in the mid 1980s when I was a graduate student changed my life forever. I still remember that concert. It was the Sibelius violin concerto and Rachmaninov’s majestic Symphony Number 2, with Cho-Liang Lin playing the violin and Michael Tilson Thomas conducting. Magnificent rich sound. The hall echoed with the warmth of the strings and percussion. When I heard the first great soprano, the incomparable Jessie Norman, singing Richard Strauss’s Four Last Songs, I never knew a human voice could project into a large hall with that much presence. To me, live music is the golden standard. Headphones don’t come close to delivering that experience. The best speakers are still no match for the live sound, but are significantly less colored sounding than the 800s is. That’s my experience, in any case.
The dynamic range of a recording apparently doesn’t reflect real life performance anyway. At the end of the day a recording may come very close but will never really substitute a live performance. Add the colouration of amplifiers and transducers and matters get even more complicated.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #16,946 of 25,876
being at a ballgame is always better than watching on TV but we still try to buy the very best TV with the most lifelike picture

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #16,947 of 25,876
It's been some time, still wander what ever happened to this "the digital powe amp" prototype.
My guess is that "DX digital output" connectors on TT2 and Dave were meant for that.
There were some problems with the prototypes. The main difficulties were twofold - one was getting the 2nd order analogue noise shaper approach to work at high OP powers. The second issue was that I was getting more worried about signal correlated ground plane noise from the power rails upsetting sound quality. Now I could easily put together a dig amp that worked, but it would not have the transparency and musicality that the DACs currently have; so, I am not interested in doing it until I achieve parity with the performance of the DACs. Research is on-going, and I reckon these issues will get solved given time. So, I am afraid that you will have to be a little patient.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #16,948 of 25,876
Having added the DAVE to my M-Scaler I have to say... great work @Rob Watts :thumbsup:

Just don't come out with a DAVE2 anytime soon. 🤣

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #16,950 of 25,876

Users who are viewing this thread

Back