Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #616 of 635
It's a legitimate question and concern. A few things. Mojo is a portable device and one of its primary functions is to be used when on the go with a phone. That being said, some people expected it to be quiet when used with a phone, however, that was not always the case. The reply from chord, was something along the lines of there being nothing they could do, put your phone in airplane mode, keep it away, etc.

Now, Poly has come along, and perhaps the previous poster didn't phrase the question correctly, but maybe he was asking if the Poly will suffer from the same problems as the Mojo. Does it do anything to mitigate the rf interference? Opposed to directly causing said interference.

If I'm wrong about what he's asking, well, I'd like to know the answer to that question regardless, hopefully without offending the loyal Chord fan base.

It's a very good question. I see it like this.... The RFI from the phone would diminish/disappear when moved away from the Mojo so using it as a control device for the mSD slot, or to stream to the Mojo should take care of the cel phone's proximity issue. The real question is, will the Poly be shielded well enough to also mitigate the WiFi streaming receiving portion of the problem? I would certainly hope so as Chord has had plenty of time to see the issues that RFI/EMI bring to the table with devices like cel phones. Only hands on experience can say for sure though.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #617 of 635
IMHO, asking Chord whether the Poly causes RF interference is like asking a boat manufacturer if the hull has any holes in it below the waterline.  It's such a ridiculously obvious design flaw that they'd have to be total Gumbys to let it get through.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #618 of 635
  IMHO, asking Chord whether the Poly causes RF interference is like asking a boat manufacturer if the hull has any holes in it below the waterline.  It's such a ridiculously obvious design flaw that they'd have to be total Gumbys to let it get through.  

2 minutes of Chord's time should immediately put this issue to rest, then. Regardless of what their answer is, though, I personally think it's a bit premature to call them "Gumbys". Let's hear them out before throwing out names?

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #619 of 635
2 minutes of Chord's time should immediately put this issue to rest, then. Regardless of what their answer is, though, I personally think it's a bit premature to call them "Gumbys". Let's hear them out before throwing out names?

Oh hey Jelt. I think Stillhart was saying they'd have to be incompetent... and he doesn't think they are incompetent. Chord has obviously proven their competence on many occasions! I'm not saying they can't make mistakes, but they've been on a roll with product releases lately.

I mean, they are going to be at CanJam NY, right? We'll here it. I kinda HOPE I don't get convinced to spend $600 instead of the cable upgrades I've planned... but I guess it could directly substitute while adding flexibility.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #620 of 635
It's a legitimate question and concern. A few things. Mojo is a portable device and one of its primary functions is to be used when on the go with a phone. That being said, some people expected it to be quiet when used with a phone, however, that was not always the case. The reply from chord, was something along the lines of there being nothing they could do, put your phone in airplane mode, keep it away, etc.

Now, Poly has come along, and perhaps the previous poster didn't phrase the question correctly, but maybe he was asking if the Poly will suffer from the same problems as the Mojo. Does it do anything to mitigate the rf interference? Opposed to directly causing said interference.

If I'm wrong about what he's asking, well, I'd like to know the answer to that question regardless, hopefully without offending the loyal Chord fan base.
The level so RF signal that a phone produces is many many orders of magnitude greater than that Poly will produce. We have taken the utmost care in the RF design of Poly so as not to cause any noise what so ever! Poly also allows you to keep you phone a few feet /half a meter or even much further away from Your Mojo. This is bound to be a major benefit in RF burst through terms. Regarding more information Jude will be doing an intro piece on Poly for the New York show I believe. Also we have just completed six or seven hands Simple short different use case videos. These are professionally shot and should provide you all when released a fair idea of what's possible. We are not trying to be secretive we sent with holding information we just want every that is possible with Poly to be covered and put across correctly to you all.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #621 of 635
The level so RF signal that a phone produces is many many orders of magnitude greater than that Poly will produce. We have taken the utmost care in the RF design of Poly so as not to cause any noise what so ever! Poly also allows you to keep you phone a few feet /half a meter or even much further away from Your Mojo. This is bound to be a major benefit in RF burst through terms. Regarding more information Jude will be doing an intro piece on Poly for the New York show I believe. Also we have just completed six or seven hands Simple short different use case videos. These are professionally shot and should provide you all when released a fair idea of what's possible. We are not trying to be secretive we sent with holding information we just want every that is possible with Poly to be covered and put across correctly to you all.

Thanks John. Appreciate the explanation and the confirmation.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #622 of 635
Sorry to ask, but can your phone in airplane mode drive the poly (for music selection) ?

If NOT, then how to use Mojo+poly during air flights ? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #623 of 635
  Sorry to ask, but can your phone in airplane mode drive the poly (for music selection) ?

I thought the airplane mode restriction only applied to takeoff and landing!

Airplane designers (and airlines) have to include future use cases in their designs.
They recognise the potential advantages of passengers being able to use their phones/tablets, to access in-flight Entertainment, internet, etc.
So in the future I think there will be little restriction on using phones to control devices like Poly.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #624 of 635
I thought the airplane mode restriction only applied to takeoff and landing!

Airplane designers (and airlines) have to include future use cases in their designs.
They recognise the potential advantages of passengers being able to use their phones/tablets, to access in-flight Entertainment, internet, etc.
So in the future I think there will be little restriction on using phones to control devices like Poly.
Wi Fi can be used throughout the duration of any flight apart from takeoff and landing

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #625 of 635

Fair question...
I know iPhones at least are able to turn wifi or Bluetooth back on after enabling Airplane mode. This shuts off all wireless except for the wifi.

I believe all smartphones have this capability, since there are many airlines that feature in-flight wifi for internet access. You won't need to connect to the plane's wifi, I'm just saying these short-range wireless modes obviously don't interfere with plane controls or radios. Which is good!

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #626 of 635
Fair question...
I know iPhones at least are able to turn wifi or Bluetooth back on after enabling Airplane mode. This shuts off all wireless except for the wifi.

I believe all smartphones have this capability, since there are many airlines that feature in-flight wifi for internet access. You won't need to connect to the plane's wifi, I'm just saying these short-range wireless modes obviously don't interfere with plane controls or radios. Which is good!

Android can do this too.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #628 of 635
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #630 of 635
2Go or whatever the addon for the Hugo 2 is called?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back