Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 6, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #496 of 635
If it sounds anything like my V2+Infinity, I'll be very happy.

The DAC functionality will be handy too at a pinch to connect to my phone for streaming.

Like most Crowdfunding, I simply puts me money down and forgets about it.

On second thoughts, that's what the Poly should have been with the Mojo doing AMP/DAC duties.

I wish I could have your attitude with crowdfunding - my rants got me banned awhile ago from the GW thread (I probably deserved it). So the Poly changes the way the Mojo does amp/dac stuff? I guess I don't fully understand how this thing will work.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #497 of 635
Does anyone know if Polly "fully" supports ROON's RAAT protocol at all of its extended sample rates as a recognized, full-fledged "Network Device," or is ROON listed as being supported by Polly only because of its Airplay compatibility (thereby limited to 44/48khz)?

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #498 of 635
Price way to high.  Only one SD card slot?  Feel like selling mojo and getting DAP now.  Or getting a cheap transport.  Poly doesn't do anything I wanted it to do.  I don't want to play music with my phone wirelessly.  I don't want stack either.  They wasted there money on R&D on a high priced unit.  They will not sell more than 5% of these vs Mojo sells.  Mojo companion needs to be cheap enough and featured enough that 80% of their current Mojo customers would be willing to buy it.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #500 of 635

Congrats to Chord for the new releases, looks nice
I was mostly interested in the Poly but that price tag
confused_face_2.gif
  !!! Really!?!.... $600!?!!.... "Appelez moi le (marketing) Directeur"...  

un-subbed.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #501 of 635
Just woke up and read this thread. So basically poly is a £500 replacement for a usb cable? I must be missing something.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #502 of 635
I personally feel the price is justified. Innovation cost money. I am more than happy to support the companies that innovate. Lots of companies make a dap. But does it sound as good as the mojo/poly? The question has to always be asked "what does it sound like?" Do we not remember the Tera Player?!? Everyone thought that screen less device was ridiculously priced until they heard it and then they thought different.

True, innovation costs money but the market for the portable audio industry is also changing very fast these days.
3-4 years ago, a $600 Poly price tag wouldn't have raised a single eyebrow but in today's market, $600 buys you some serious sounding DAPs (including second hand), and more are coming, Chord isn't the only innovator. 

I do remember the Tera player very well since I had one for one year. I liked it a lot but hype aside, it was worth $600-$700 at best in 2012 market. Nowadays, I wouldn't spend more than $400 for one.

Well worth the wait regardless, I now look at my USB cable in an entirely new light, I almost like it!

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #503 of 635

True, innovation costs money but the market for the portable audio industry is also changing very fast these days.
3-4 years ago, a $600 Poly price tag wouldn't have raised a single eyebrow but in today's market, $600 buys you some serious sounding DAPs (including second hand), and more are coming, Chord isn't the only innovator

I do remember the Tera player very well since I had one for one year. I liked it a lot but hype aside, it was worth $600-$700 at best in 2012 market. Nowadays, I wouldn't spend more than $400 for one.

Well worth the wait regardless, I now look at my USB cable in an entirely new light, I almost like it!

Thumbs up to THIS.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #504 of 635
But will the Poly-Mojo SQ remained as wired when using Bluetooth stream from smartphone? I thought all this while ppl claimed SQ after Bluetooth transmission is no way as good as wired? Please enlighten me

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #505 of 635

3-4 years ago, a $600 Poly price tag wouldn't have raised a single eyebrow but in today's market, $600 buys you some serious sounding DAPs (including second hand), and more are coming, Chord isn't the only innovator. 

Someone has commented that polly is a 600USD USB cable replacement. However, there is a usb cable more expensive than the polly. Perhaps that's the motivation 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #506 of 635
But will the Poly-Mojo SQ remained as wired when using Bluetooth stream from smartphone? I thought all this while ppl claimed SQ after Bluetooth transmission is no way as good as wired? Please enlighten me

Bluetooth is just an option. You can do wifi as well or play songs from an SD card.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #507 of 635
Someone has commented that polly is a 600USD USB cable replacement. However, there is a usb cable more expensive than the polly. Perhaps that's the motivation :D

$600 usb cable is an extremely niche market.

Shanling, hidizs, et al have shown that it is possible to do a good transport with Bluetooth and a screen for £100.

If Chord had done a similar thing that wrapped around the mojo for £200-£250 then probably every mojo owner would buy one. I just can't see the poly being that popular, so another niche product from Chord and massive missed opportunity.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #508 of 635
Colour me... whelmed (neither under or over).

Poly seems to have great functionality for sure but that price??? I'll be looking at an Onkyo DAP and pairing with my MOJO for that money. In principle a great idea but it needs to be half the price (if not more) to supplement an already excellent (albeit relatively pricey) DAC.

I'm sure it'll sell like hot cakes and the thread will run for 2000+ pages (and invariably I'll relent and buy one) but this is not the revolution I was promised IMHO.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #509 of 635
Looking on the brightside at least it saves me some money !! 
Not quite as ergonomic but my existing setup gives all this with a £250 phone (great battery, micro SD card. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth plus more... , not actually used as a phone, just transport).

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #510 of 635
I was hoping for a module that would transform the Mojo in a DAP without needing an iPhone.

Maybe I will get it but I have to get more info about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back