Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 29, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #4,898 of 4,904
This one is for the guys with faulty optical drive. My Blu2 has failed twice, original drive and replacement one as well, both the same way. Seems that problem is with lubrication of the motor. Those drive are old production, high temperature inside Blu2 might accelerate degradation. Local repairs guy relubed the motor, my Blu2 is operational again, use it daily for several months already.

May 29, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #4,899 of 4,904
This one is for the guys with faulty optical drive. My Blu2 has failed twice, original drive and replacement one as well, both the same way. Seems that problem is with lubrication of the motor. Those drive are old production, high temperature inside Blu2 might accelerate degradation. Local repairs guy relubed the motor, my Blu2 is operational again, use it daily for several months already.
This is interesting news.
The blue2 of my friend is broken already the 3rd time. Not only the broken unit has been the problem, but also the endless story around it.
At first they don't believe and ask about cables and others. Then you are allowed to send it, it has been in UK for about 2 months now.
Last time they claimed to have replaced the drive unit and even the board. Then just about few months later the problems started again, a CD stopped during "play" and did not move to the start, then we connected his old Musical Fidelity player to the blue, a very good unit, which has worked flawlessly for more than 20 years now. But even this arrangement did not work without problems, dropouts. When we connect the CD player directly to the DAVE (same cable), no problems.
I strongly hope, that Chord knows about the lubrication problem.
I have the same combo "bluedave", and my units have never been broken, even if I use the drive not so often. The only difference is, that my friend has an early unit, and I had to wait for months for a silver one.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #4,900 of 4,904
My Blu2 had developed “hickups”, first noticed on last tracks of some CDs, it rapidly progressed during several weeks time and eventually the drive stopped reading TOC at all. Chord replaced the drive, and about half a year later “hickups” returned.
Chord has sent replacement power supply, which had no effect on performance of the optical drive, so I found this guy. First simple lubrication of the motor restored performance for a month tops, so he cleaned the motor thoroughly and applied new lube. Hope it helps somebody.

May 29, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #4,901 of 4,904
My Blu2 had developed “hickups”, first noticed on last tracks of some CDs, it rapidly progressed during several weeks time and eventually the drive stopped reading TOC at all. Chord replaced the drive, and about half a year later “hickups” returned.
Chord has sent replacement power supply, which had no effect on performance of the optical drive, so I found this guy. First simple lubrication of the motor restored performance for a month tops, so he cleaned the motor thoroughly and applied new lube. Hope it helps somebody.
Thank you Ivano, I have sent your posts to Chord, we will see if they succeed, otherwise I would contact you again for instructions how to access the motor...

May 29, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #4,902 of 4,904
I have a Blu2 with the Dave DAC in a nice Choral stand. Sonically, they’re great, operationally a disaster. I had endless issues with the Blu2 and the Dave. Finally sent it in to Chord’s service center here in the US in Connecticut. They gave me the run around initially but finally decided to replace some boards and do some other service. Since it returned, it’s been working well, occasionally giving me issues in playing a handful of CDs, but that’s the exception.

The overall experience soured me on Chord. I’m never likely to buy another digital ( or analog) product of theirs. Their design ethos is tailored towards Christmas tree lighting effects, not my style. I recently bought a Mola Mola Makua, an all in one preamp with built in Tambaqui DAC and archival grade phono preamp and built in Roon server. The Makua is everything the Chord never was. Brilliantly designed with (thus far) faultless operational capability. The iPhone app that controls the Makua is the most amazing audiophile interface that this old grizzled audio veteran of 35+ years experience has ever seen. The Makua is a testament to minimalistic design, which I like. I also got their Kaluga amplifiers, which are equally amazing.

All that said, I’m still hanging on to my Chord duo. The CD player still works and sonically it sounds really good. I won’t compare it to the Makua — that’s a different story. But Chord has some issues with reliability. For what it’s worth, I also have the Audio Research Reference CD8 that uses same Philips Pro CD transport as the Dave. What a difference! The CD8 reads any CD I throw into it in half a second. It’s built like a battleship — almost 40 pounds — in the typical laboratory instrument style of ARC. I think ARC has much better quality control and the transport is heavily damped.

May 30, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4,903 of 4,904
Thank you Ivano, I have sent your posts to Chord, we will see if they succeed, otherwise I would contact you again for instructions how to access the motor...
Hope Chord may suggest some proper lube. We’ve used the one for bicycle chains from Silca, I use it for vinyl turntables as well.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #4,904 of 4,904
I have a Blu2 with the Dave DAC in a nice Choral stand. Sonically, they’re great, operationally a disaster. I had endless issues with the Blu2 and the Dave. Finally sent it in to Chord’s service center here in the US in Connecticut. They gave me the run around initially but finally decided to replace some boards and do some other service. Since it returned, it’s been working well, occasionally giving me issues in playing a handful of CDs, but that’s the exception.

The overall experience soured me on Chord. I’m never likely to buy another digital ( or analog) product of theirs. Their design ethos is tailored towards Christmas tree lighting effects, not my style. I recently bought a Mola Mola Makua, an all in one preamp with built in Tambaqui DAC and archival grade phono preamp and built in Roon server. The Makua is everything the Chord never was. Brilliantly designed with (thus far) faultless operational capability. The iPhone app that controls the Makua is the most amazing audiophile interface that this old grizzled audio veteran of 35+ years experience has ever seen. The Makua is a testament to minimalistic design, which I like. I also got their Kaluga amplifiers, which are equally amazing.

All that said, I’m still hanging on to my Chord duo. The CD player still works and sonically it sounds really good. I won’t compare it to the Makua — that’s a different story. But Chord has some issues with reliability. For what it’s worth, I also have the Audio Research Reference CD8 that uses same Philips Pro CD transport as the Dave. What a difference! The CD8 reads any CD I throw into it in half a second. It’s built like a battleship — almost 40 pounds — in the typical laboratory instrument style of ARC. I think ARC has much better quality control and the transport is heavily damped.

I like Chord DACs for the sound and I am OK with available functionality. Chord Ultima Pre 2 puzzles me with its ergonomics, that is true. I did want to get Mola Mola Makua with built in phono in order to streamline the system, but Mola Mola has no dealership in my country at all. Ultima amplifiers are great, I am a little skeptical on Kaluga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back