Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #4,876 of 4,904
Hi All,
Has anybody undertaken a direct A to B comparison of the Blu MK2's M Scaler with the separate Chord M Scaler conected to the Chord DAVE (ideally using the dual BNCs to the DAVE to get the maximum sampling rate possible) using the USB connections from a PC / Macbook etc. to the Blu and the separate M Scaler playing via PC / Macbook software (i.e. Audivana for the Macbook for instance) and ideally using the exact same connecting cables between each of the components ?
When I first got the Mscaler I had the Blu Mk2 and so I did that direct comparison using the same source (which at that time was a Zenith SE with USB output).

With generic BNC cables I thought the Mscaler was better than the Blu Mk2 when upscaling the Zenith SE but when using the same BNC cables that you have I concluded that whilst they both improved the differerences between them were a lot less, not quite the same but pretty close.

Mind you this was quite a while ago now so I am relying on my recollections but I did sell the Blu Mk2 soon after getting the Mscaler based on what I had heard.

Is this what you were asking?

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #4,877 of 4,904
When I first got the Mscaler I had the Blu Mk2 and so I did that direct comparison using the same source (which at that time was a Zenith SE with USB output).

With generic BNC cables I thought the Mscaler was better than the Blu Mk2 when upscaling the Zenith SE but when using the same BNC cables that you have I concluded that whilst they both improved the differerences between them were a lot less, not quite the same but pretty close.

Mind you this was quite a while ago now so I am relying on my recollections but I did sell the Blu Mk2 soon after getting the Mscaler based on what I had heard.

Is this what you were asking?
Hi Triode User. That's great. Thank you. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #4,878 of 4,904
the only thing preventing me from selling the Blu MkII and upgrading/ side-grading to the M-Scaler is the ability to spin CDs, which is something that I really like :)

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4,879 of 4,904
the only thing preventing me from selling the Blu MkII and upgrading/ side-grading to the M-Scaler is the ability to spin CDs, which is something that I really like :)
Yes, I do miss being able to do that.

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,880 of 4,904
Yes, I do miss being able to do that.
Hmm, just use optical out on a decent cd player that bypasses the internal dac, or get a dedicated cd transport. I spin cds on a daily basis via my Mscaler.
The most annoying thing with BLU 2 apart from the absolutely ridiculous price asked for it, was how incredibly clunky and difficult it was to load a cd without having to touch the actual disc with a finger and thumb to put it on correctly before closing the lid correctly without damaging the cd.
Definitely one of the worst EVER loading mechanisms I have ever used. No wonder they deleted it. Even Rob admitted : "You won´t miss it" once the first Mscaler arrived.
CDs can sound close to hi res via Mscaler but I would like to hear if the upcoming Mscaler X will be able to squeeze even more out of 16/44.1 than the current Mscaler can.
Cheers CC

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4,881 of 4,904
Hmm, just use optical out on a decent cd player that bypasses the internal dac, or get a dedicated cd transport. I spin cds on a daily basis via my Mscaler.
The most annoying thing with BLU 2 apart from the absolutely ridiculous price asked for it, was how incredibly clunky and difficult it was to load a cd without having to touch the actual disc with a finger and thumb to put it on correctly before closing the lid correctly without damaging the cd.
Definitely one of the worst EVER loading mechanisms I have ever used. No wonder they deleted it. Even Rob admitted : "You won´t miss it" once the first Mscaler arrived.
CDs can sound close to hi res via Mscaler but I would like to hear if the upcoming Mscaler X will be able to squeeze even more out of 16/44.1 than the current Mscaler can.
Cheers CC
Christer, I admit I haven’t missed the CDs enough to go and get another CD transport! I do have a vintage Meridian 602 transport with optical and RCA digital outputs but my K50 sounds better! Optical output is not a cure all panacea and cannot turn a pig’s ear into a silk purse (not that the 602 was ever regarded as a pig’s ear!).

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4,882 of 4,904
CDs can sound close to hi res via Mscaler
It’s the other way round. Streaming audio is riddled with problems and CDs still serve as the reference for many.

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #4,883 of 4,904
It’s the other way round. Streaming audio is riddled with problems and CDs still serve as the reference for many.
If by streaming you mean playing digital files from an online source I tend to agree with you.
I only stream via You Tube for convenience and for discovering new music. And via some Symphony Orchestras own sites ,NOT via Roon ,Tidal or Spotify .
But when I say "hi res" I mean either downloaded masterfiles from several reliable providers of masterfiles for download, often the label itself. Or in my personal case some files I have directly from the actual the recording sessions as masterfiles. Everything else equal hi res can still sound closer to live than cd quality ie downsampled or orginal 16/44.1 masters.
But the gap is nowhere near as big as it used to be before Mscaling.

Before Mscaling entered the arena I did not listen to cds much for SQ reasons. Too many missing gaps to fill in.
Not an enjoyable musical experience, but now I listen both to cds via optical out from a cd player and as cd rips via USB with virtually identical results. Good enough SQ for me to enjoy my music without paying much attention to the limitations of the format once upsampled.
I have just ripped Mozart´s Opera Idomineo, Handel´s Serse and a BIS Rautavaara album from cds I borrowed from the library. But I also buy quite a lot of second hand cds from my local thrift shops.
Mscaler made me discover how good 16/44.1 can actually sound, but only once mscaled.
Basically all recordings of music I care to listen to are since quite a few years actually done via a computer and and ADC in hi res for good reasons. CD is a secondary product just like streaming,but yes with better SQ via a good chain than some streaming platforms offer imho.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #4,884 of 4,904
Christer, I admit I haven’t missed the CDs enough to go and get another CD transport! I do have a vintage Meridian 602 transport with optical and RCA digital outputs but my K50 sounds better! Optical output is not a cure all panacea and cannot turn a pig’s ear into a silk purse (not that the 602 was ever regarded as a pig’s ear!).
I got the Blu Mk2 primarily for its upscaling abilities. For a CD transport, I primarily use the massive two box CEC TL0 belt driven transport. Once you hear a red book CD played back through the CEC, you’ll throw away your streaming subscriptions 😀. No seriously, I do stream via Qobuz for those hard to find recent classical high res albums, but not for older jazz/classical/folk/rock. If it’s anything from the great maters, from The Beatles to John Coltrane to Pink Floyd to Bob Dylan etc., I have it on vinyl and CD and that’s my preferred source.

I absolutely hate the colored balls on the M-Scaler, I wouldn’t have one in my house even if someone gave it to me for free 😀. That sort of tacky Chord bling belongs in a Christmas decoration in Walmart, not a high end component. Ugh.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,885 of 4,904
I absolutely hate the colored balls on the M-Scaler, I wouldn’t have one in my house even if someone gave it to me for free 😀. That sort of tacky Chord bling belongs in a Christmas decoration in Walmart, not a high end component. Ugh.
I have my Mscaler on the floor at the back of my system so it is out of sight. I never change the settings anyway so there is no need to see it or point a remote at it.

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #4,886 of 4,904
I have my Mscaler on the floor at the back of my system so it is out of sight. I never change the settings anyway so there is no need to see it or point a remote at it.
Once I had set mine to max setting and repeatedly confirmned after having it accidentally start in other setting positions that it definitely sounded the best and most realistic that way , I only change settings on mine when alternating between optical and usb. I keep it separated from my dac via 1 metre Storm BNCs and out of sight from my listening position about five metres from my speakers.
It has been behaving very well for very long now.
Well over a year.

But at night those weird lights can be annoying.
They project orbs on to my off-white ceiling.
And NO, I do NOT listen to Disco Music or EDM!

I do not know if the coloured balls is actually Rob´own personal idea ?

Or just Eye Candy?
Fancy LIghts anyone?

Whatever the case is, I do not agree with him or Chord on that matter.

But I really like the fact that he knows what the reference point in HIFI both was and still is, and sticks to it: To reproduce unamplified acoustic instruments in a real hall as accurately and close to live as possible.
His recent test recording made in a church is a good example of how to record acoustic music well for traditional stereo speaker listening.More of that please Rob, and more than a 2 minutes snippet,next time please.
And if it can be avoided no coloured balls on Mscaler X I hope?
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,887 of 4,904
And if it can be avoided no coloured balls on Mscaler X I hope?
I am guessing that as it is to match the Dave there will be no coloured balls (based on Dave being ball less in a manner of speaking!).
His recent test recording made in a church is a good example of how to record acoustic music well for traditional stereo speaker listening.
I must say I found that snippet very interesting to hear. One amazing thing was the random noises in addition to the music which had the effect of making the space suddenly leap into 3D in my listening room, just for fractions of a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back