Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 5, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #4,846 of 4,904
just to be clear, I am attaching a pic of the remote I am currently using with both my DAVE and Blu MkII. Chord has confirmed with me via email that this remote cannot be used to set both units to sleep. I tried the instructions above by using the HiFi and AV button but even then I only seem to be able to put the DAVE to sleep and not the Blu MKII.
That's the same remote that came with my Dave.
Irrespective of any instructions ever written by anyone, on my remote both the HiFi and AV buttons activate Dave. Which implies they won't be able to activate anything else.
Seems like a poor choice to me, but there you go. I guess this is a generic remote with a Chord badge on it, so you get inconsistencies typical of using generic remotes for specific purposes.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #4,847 of 4,904
That's the same remote that came with my Dave.
Irrespective of any instructions ever written by anyone, on my remote both the HiFi and AV buttons activate Dave. Which implies they won't be able to activate anything else.
Seems like a poor choice to me, but there you go. I guess this is a generic remote with a Chord badge on it, so you get inconsistencies typical of using generic remotes for specific purposes.

I have a Dave remote that looks like the one from Hugo 2. And Blu 2 came with a rectangular bigger remote with number keys.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #4,848 of 4,904
just to be clear, I am attaching a pic of the remote I am currently using with both my DAVE and Blu MkII. Chord has confirmed with me via email that this remote cannot be used to set both units to sleep. I tried the instructions above by using the HiFi and AV button but even then I only seem to be able to put the DAVE to sleep and not the Blu MKII.

That‘s the same remote that came with my DAVE. Almost all the buttons do nothing useful. And it is irritating not to be able to select an input directly. Add that to the fact that none of the controls on the DAVE itself are marked and you have a UI that is as close to unusable as you can get. They‘ve changed the DAVE remote now to something simpler, but there is still a separate remote for the M Scaler. Anyone had any success programming a universal remote to behave usefully?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #4,849 of 4,904
Here are my remotes. The larger one came with Blu.

To switch Dave onto Standby , I press AV then power. To switch Blu 2 CD to standby press HiFi then power.

Attachments

• 20210305_103656.jpg
    20210305_103656.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #4,850 of 4,904
Anyone had any success programming a universal remote to behave usefully?
Any of the Logitech Harmony remotes will do the job. They are programmed differently to most remotes: The start point is a large online database of devices - currently including Dave, Blu (not differentiated which one) and all the Hugo models including TT and HMS. You start by linking which devices to which activity, such as Watch TV or Listen to Blu, and it will set up all the obvious defaults for you after you've answered some basic questions like "Which device controls the volume?". The end result is hitting the "Listen to Blu" button will automatically switch on all the devices required to listen to Blu and each button will behave appropriate to the function of the activity.

That gets you 95% of the way. But there's usually one or two awkward bits where some buttons don't quite do what you want, usually because the device has a particular quirk. So you can individually configure each button via an online/PC GUI app (and later sync to the remote). That gets you 99% there, but when all else fails, most models also have a learning mode where you point your original remote at the Harmony. It can be a bit of a learning curve to get that last few % exactly how you want it, and some people don't get on with the online/PC approach, but ultimately it is very versatile and the free support is good.

Because I use my Harmony for my AV system, I went for the TOTL Elite (950 is a slightly simpler variant) and it is absolutely superb at controlling multiple devices. It includes a small touch screen so that you can configure a number of actions with your own labels. Lesser models have progressively less features. I haven't actually tried it with my current DAVE system, but have successfully tried all sorts of AV and hifi over the years.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #4,851 of 4,904
Here are my remotes. The larger one came with Blu.

To switch Dave onto Standby , I press AV then power. To switch Blu 2 CD to standby press HiFi then power.
I have the same 2 remotes, I just use the small dave remote to put the dave to sleep when not in use and the big one to put the blu2 to sleep and leave it asleep...all it does is turn off the cd portion anyway

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4,852 of 4,904
Bear in mind that the remotes supplied with the DAVE and Blu Mk II varied by production date and the region they were distributed in. There are different 49, 46, and 7 button versions of the remotes. It should also be noted the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT 2 have a different 12 button remote and some early Hugo TT 2 models had an aluminum 26 button remote. My North American (Blue Bird) DAVE came with the 49 button remote while my Blu Mk 2 came with the 46 button version. The programming for each version of the remotes explains why pressing the AV and HiFi buttons works for some owners.

Perhaps @Rob Watts can shed light on how Chord handled the remote programming in Maidstone and what DAVE and Blu Mk 2 models can respond to one remote.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #4,853 of 4,904
I managed to solve my problem by tracking down the original remote that came with my Blu MKII that I had stashed away in storage. thanks to everyone that shared their experiences with their respective remotes. I've always been curious about the Logitech Harmony - perhaps someday I'll that give a try :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,854 of 4,904
M2yZmLN.png

cFLoclJ.png

UNjZd5s.jpg

Welcome to Blu Mk. II - CD Without Limits - The Blu Mk. II is our advanced second generation FPGA CD transport. Designed for DAVE it upsamples your CD collection (or BNC/S/PDIF input) to 705.4kHz and a mighty ONE MILLION taps.

At its core lies a giant state of the art Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA loaded with the world’s most advanced filter technology by Rob Watts. This, combined with the legendary precision of the CD Pro 2 mechanism and a Chord Electronics proprietary switch mode power supply, creates an experience never heard before from CD - setting a new standard. Blu Mk. II also sports a stunning revised aesthetic developed by Chord’s Chief Designer - John Franks.

Available early 2017

Learn more at: chordelectronics.co.uk/product/blu-mk-2/

87WIGly.jpg

ygdj7GN.jpg

BLU MK.II - TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Chipset:
Chord Electronics custom coded Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA

Tap-length: 1,015,808 (16FS filter)

FPGA current draw: 10amps

Frequency response: 0Hz (DC) - 20kHz +/- 0.0000001dB

In-band ripple 0Hz-20kHz: +/- 0.0000002dB

Stop band rejection: -135dB

THD and noise (24bit input): -144dB

Noise 2.6 uV ‘A’ weighted: No measurable noise floor modulation

Signal to noise ratio: 126dB ‘A’ Weighted

Power supply: 90v AC - 24v AC Auto-Switching

Power consumption: 30w

Weight: 7000g

Dimensions: 335mm (L) x 170mm (W) x 105mm (H)​
having issues with my sound cutting in and out when turning my blu on a few seconds after my Dave has started up.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #4,855 of 4,904

Blu MkII remote.jpgI own both as well and always wondered with the remote was built like complete trash. Anyone know the reason why?

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #4,856 of 4,904
I just heard this as well. My dealer contacted me as I have one on order. Apparently I will be getting one of the last units.

The reason I was given is that the Phillips drive that they use in the Blu2 is no longer available. I wonder if there will be a Blu3 designed around another drive?
wow, tragic. I picked one up a couple of months ago. consider us lucky I guess

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,857 of 4,904
wow, tragic. I picked one up a couple of months ago. consider us lucky I guess
The truth is a bit worse. The drive used in the Blu 2 is surprisingly unreliable and numerous units had to be repaired/replaced, from what my dealer tells me. Chord threw in the towel on this drive. I have one of these non-working Blu2 drives. It has been notoriously unreliable from day one. I for one would never buy another CD transport from Chord. Fortunately there are a small handful of companies producing quality CD transports and lots of choices on the used market as everyone is dumping their CD transports in favor of ( usually inferior) streaming options.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #4,859 of 4,904
The truth is a bit worse. The drive used in the Blu 2 is surprisingly unreliable and numerous units had to be repaired/replaced, from what my dealer tells me. Chord threw in the towel on this drive. I have one of these non-working Blu2 drives. It has been notoriously unreliable from day one. I for one would never buy another CD transport from Chord. Fortunately there are a small handful of companies producing quality CD transports and lots of choices on the used market as everyone is dumping their CD transports in favor of ( usually inferior) streaming options.
Chord merely sourced the CD Pro 2 drive from Phillips which is commonly used in CD transports ranging from Bel Canto to Canary. The Blu Mk II is fine, Chord never sold it to you claiming it was reliable.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #4,860 of 4,904
the blu2 functions quite well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back