Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #4,817 of 4,904
I had huge problems with the dual BNC connection between BluMK2 and Dave, with regular dropouts using BNC 3+4, and using BNC 1+2 I couldn't even get the Dave to recognise a dual BNC connection. My Dave was an early model with the domed glass display. I contacted Chord and was told I'd have to return it for repair (fortunately under warranty)... they changed the entire motherboard (and replaced the display with a flat glass screen), since then it has operated problem free using either combinations of dual BNC inputs.
However, even when I had these initial connection problems, playing CDs was never an issue, because the signal from the BLU when playing CDs (I believe) does not require both BNC connections (dropouts generally occur when Dave can't synchronise the two separate signal inputs), only one. Since you have the same issue with both streaming and playing CD's, it's not the same issue I have suffered... it sounds like there may be a problem with the Blu, or the BNC cables perhaps?

‘if you select maximum up sampling, then playing back CDs on the Blu will require both BNC connectors. It sounds like a clock synchronization problem is the most plausible explanation. My Dave is brand new. The Blu 2 is a used piece since they are not being sold anymore in the US. I thought of getting the M-scaler, but the colored spheres seemed too tacky for my tastes. I also got the older two unit Chord stand to rack mount both units. They indeed look handsome together when rack mounted. Mine are in the silver finish. There’s much to like here, don’t get me wrong. I like the form factor. Compared to lugging the 60+ pound Esoteric units, the Chord units are much easier to install. I’m hoping the combo will stay working and glitch free if I leave it on and running.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #4,819 of 4,904
I suspect it will.

I hope so too! By the way, does anyone know how to blank the display of the Blu transport so it doesn’t keep showing the goofy “No disc” message when you’re playing through USB. Really, how hard could it be to have it show the input playing or bit rate or simply an option to blank it out (thank God the garish display on the Dave can be turned off — at night it lights up my listening room like a Christmas tree!).

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #4,820 of 4,904
I hope so too! By the way, does anyone know how to blank the display of the Blu transport so it doesn’t keep showing the goofy “No disc” message when you’re playing through USB. Really, how hard could it be to have it show the input playing or bit rate or simply an option to blank it out (thank God the garish display on the Dave can be turned off — at night it lights up my listening room like a Christmas tree!).

Just turn the Blu2 off on the remote. The usb input is still active.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #4,822 of 4,904
Cool, I will try that. Is it worth upgrading the stock BNC cables?

With the Blu2 there is scope for an even bigger improvement than with the Mscaler by changing the bnc cables because it doesn’t have the extra inbuilt filtering and isolation of the later Mscaler.

One route is to get more substantial standard cables and try high frequency (2GHz) clip on ferrites, about 20 or more per cable - the weight of the ferrites means that the supplied cables are not really up to the extra weight because they are only crimped onto the outer flexible pvc casing. Also the ferrites need to be a snug fit so something like an 8mm dia cable is best.

Or there are pre made options. Modesty (and forum rules) means that I can’t say more on that.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #4,823 of 4,904
I think you are talking about the distorted signal when the Dave fails to lock on properly to the Blu2. I would only get this when I had been changing things around and had restarted some gear or unplugged / plugged in without powering down the Dave/Blu2 first. The Hugo Mscaler can be fooled in the same way if one is not careful. My suggestion is to leave everything powered up when it is working properly.

"But I’m concerned whether this front end is reliable." I found Blu2 to be rock solid over a number of years and it should be the same with you. I was VERY happy with my Blu2.

By the way, did you buy new or second hand?
I have had this happen a couple of times as well when I was changing some connections and powered things down and then turned things back on again....the first time I played music I got all sorts of distortion then I shut it all down again and put it back on and all was good...not sure why it happens

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #4,824 of 4,904
I have had this happen a couple of times as well when I was changing some connections and powered things down and then turned things back on again....the first time I played music I got all sorts of distortion then I shut it all down again and put it back on and all was good...not sure why it happens
Yes this has occasionally happened to my DAVE as well when changing connections/powering things off/on. This was with HMS and, from memory, with solo DAVE in the past. Just "normal" DAVE behaviour when it doesn't correctly lock on after a system interruption. Not specifically related to Blu2. Always recovers after switching things off and on again - usually, but not always, it's enough to switch just DAVE off and on again.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #4,825 of 4,904
Yes this has occasionally happened to my DAVE as well when changing connections/powering things off/on. This was with HMS and, from memory, with solo DAVE in the past. Just "normal" DAVE behaviour when it doesn't correctly lock on after a system interruption. Not specifically related to Blu2. Always recovers after switching things off and on again - usually, but not always, it's enough to switch just DAVE off and on again.

I have also found playing another track with a different sampling rate helps rather than switching it off.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #4,826 of 4,904
I have also found playing another track with a different sampling rate helps rather than switching it off.
This is exactly what i discovered as well. When I tried to eliminate the distortion by shutting off the Dave and reconnecting the BNC cables, playing back the same track seemed to have had no effect. By accident, I tried a different high Rez track, and voila, the distortion went away! I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced this behavior. All of which convinced me that the FPGA code in the Dave and Blu is buggy. Sad that Chord has not enabled any means for downloading software updates. These days $100 Blu ray players let you update their firmware through WiFi. For a high end premium product to not be upgradeable is really strange. Imagine if your iPhone or Android phone could not be updated Remotely through WiFi.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #4,827 of 4,904
This is exactly what i discovered as well. When I tried to eliminate the distortion by shutting off the Dave and reconnecting the BNC cables, playing back the same track seemed to have had no effect. By accident, I tried a different high Rez track, and voila, the distortion went away! I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced this behavior. All of which convinced me that the FPGA code in the Dave and Blu is buggy. Sad that Chord has not enabled any means for downloading software updates. These days $100 Blu ray players let you update their firmware through WiFi. For a high end premium product to not be upgradeable is really strange. Imagine if your iPhone or Android phone could not be updated Remotely through WiFi.

Agreed. I wrote about exactly this in March 2019 and here we are in a global recession in 2020:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.885042/page-420#post-14863549

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #4,828 of 4,904
Has anyone run across a problem where the BLU2 struggles to read some CDs? This happens when I load some CDs - I get flashing lines across the display followed by the number 7 and it stops spinning. If I remove and reload the CD it is usually OK, but in many cases I have to do it several times, in one case dozens of times before it could read it. It happens fairly frequently.

Someone suggested it is because certain CDs don't meet the strict red book standard of 72 minutes and 12 tracks maximum. If that is the case, then I am really concerned because a large proportion of CDs exceed this, and I have never experienced the problem with any other CD players.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #4,829 of 4,904
Has anyone run across a problem where the BLU2 struggles to read some CDs? This happens when I load some CDs - I get flashing lines across the display followed by the number 7 and it stops spinning. If I remove and reload the CD it is usually OK, but in many cases I have to do it several times, in one case dozens of times before it could read it. It happens fairly frequently.

Someone suggested it is because certain CDs don't meet the strict red book standard of 72 minutes and 12 tracks maximum. If that is the case, then I am really concerned because a large proportion of CDs exceed this, and I have never experienced the problem with any other CD players.

My Blu Mkii used to be fine with all CDs but gradually it started to not read some CDs (always the same ones giving trouble) and to skip. It got worse and eventually was returned to Chord who sorted it. Yours might be nothing to do with the problem I had. I suppose you have checked to make sure you don't have dirt or dust on the lens?

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4,830 of 4,904
Has anybody on this forum compared the Blu MK2 linked to a DAVE with dual BNC's to a Blu MK1 connected to an M Scaler with dual BNC's which in turn is connected to DAVE with dual BNC's.

I have the latter set up (Blu Mk1 to M Scaler to DAVE) and it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back