Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #4,696 of 4,904
Thanks.
Strange, the display on mine doesn't turn off. Hope I don't have to send it back to Chord. :triportsad:

Make sure you press the 'HiFi' button on the remote first to put the remote into Blu2 mode. If the 'AV' button is accidentally pressed it puts the remote into Dave control mode.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #4,697 of 4,904
Make sure you press the 'HiFi' button on the remote first to put the remote into Blu2 mode. If the 'AV' button is accidentally pressed it puts the remote into Dave control mode.

Good to know that, I will try again this evening.

*Update: this works now. Great advice from Nick!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #4,698 of 4,904
Has anyone added the Mutec Ref 10 and MC3 plus (usb input) to their Blu MKII/DAVE setup? Or perhaps another external reclocker or word clock?

I would like to know if you feel this offers genuine improvement to your setup and HOW do you physically connect this to BLU2/DAVE? I still want to keep 2 BNC connections between BLU and DAVE to maintain the 1M Taps.

If this has been discussed, then I humbly apologize. Reclocking and word clocks are brand new to me and I’m spending the week doing research and learning.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #4,699 of 4,904
Has anyone added the Mutec Ref 10 and MC3 plus (usb input) to their Blu MKII/DAVE setup? Or perhaps another external reclocker or word clock?

I would like to know if you feel this offers genuine improvement to your setup and HOW do you physically connect this to BLU2/DAVE? I still want to keep 2 BNC connections between BLU and DAVE to maintain the 1M Taps.

If this has been discussed, then I humbly apologize. Reclocking and word clocks are brand new to me and I’m spending the week doing research and learning.

I have replied to you in the Dave thread suggesting you save your money by not going down that route. I can think where you might spend that money but modesty and Head-Fi rules will not permit me to say. Others will have to help you there.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #4,700 of 4,904
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #4,701 of 4,904
Hi Everyone - I'm looking at adding a DEQX processor to my system to help with speaker and room correction. My plan is to run the DEQX as a Roon endpoint and output the digital signal via SPDIF (no USB digital output) to the BLU MK2. In reading the specs of the BLU MK2 am I right in thinking that given I'm feeding it a SPDIF signal I'll lose the ability to experience its full upsampling capabilities i.e. the Blu MK2 will only upsample to 384khz via SPDIF as opposed to the 768khz via the USB input when the signal is sent to the TT2?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #4,702 of 4,904
Hi Everyone - I'm looking at adding a DEQX processor to my system to help with speaker and room correction. My plan is to run the DEQX as a Roon endpoint and output the digital signal via SPDIF (no USB digital output) to the BLU MK2. In reading the specs of the BLU MK2 am I right in thinking that given I'm feeding it a SPDIF signal I'll lose the ability to experience its full upsampling capabilities i.e. the Blu MK2 will only upsample to 384khz via SPDIF as opposed to the 768khz via the USB input when the signal is sent to the TT2?

No, the dual BNC output is exactly the same as with USB input (705/768 kHz)... it's just the limitation associated with maximum incoming BNC sample rate (384 kHz)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #4,703 of 4,904
I'm a happy Blu Mk2 owner running into my DAVE via dual BNC and just curious, what's the point of the Blu Mk2 dual AES outputs as the DAVE only has single AES input and no current Chord DAC supports daul AES input?

May 14, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #4,704 of 4,904
Legacy! Reused of decade old chassis and pcb design.

And for those dac supports dual aes inputs.

Dave was designed to support furure dx amp therefore no room for dual aes inputs.

My guess work!

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #4,705 of 4,904

I don't think you can use a Master Clock on BLU2/DAVE directly as there is no input.
I believe Rob Watts does't think it would help in any case given his particular implementation.
You can however use a Master Clock on your source or a USB re-clocker if you have one (eg. SOtM tx-USBultra, Uptone ISORegen)
Some users on Audiophilestyle have modified their NUC endpoints to receive Master Clock signals to good effect.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...treaming/page/82/?tab=comments#comment-665658

Another user here in WBF using Cybershaft clock in BLU2/DAVE setup but experimenting with audiophile switches.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-king-of-usb-network-gadget-setup.27758/

Geoff

May 15, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #4,706 of 4,904
I don't think you can use a Master Clock on BLU2/DAVE directly as there is no input.
I believe Rob Watts does't think it would help in any case given his particular implementation.
You can however use a Master Clock on your source or a USB re-clocker if you have one (eg. SOtM tx-USBultra, Uptone ISORegen)
Some users on Audiophilestyle have modified their NUC endpoints to receive Master Clock signals to good effect.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...treaming/page/82/?tab=comments#comment-665658

Another user here in WBF using Cybershaft clock in BLU2/DAVE setup but experimenting with audiophile switches.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-king-of-usb-network-gadget-setup.27758/

Geoff

The counter view is that extra gadgets in the digital signal path could add RF noise and that in itself might give a change to the sound which in some circumstances could be mistaken for an improvement (eg 'more detail', 'greater sound stage' etc). I am pretty sure that RW has always eschewed the use of extra clocking devices on these grounds and also bearing in mind the reclocking provided by his DACs. However I am merely repeating what I have read and do not profess expertise in this myself.

May 15, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #4,707 of 4,904
Its head fi, if one can't jam a box in the chain, what good is it?

May 15, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #4,708 of 4,904
May 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #4,709 of 4,904
The counter view is that extra gadgets in the digital signal path could add RF noise and that in itself might give a change to the sound which in some circumstances could be mistaken for an improvement (eg 'more detail', 'greater sound stage' etc). I am pretty sure that RW has always eschewed the use of extra clocking devices on these grounds and also bearing in mind the reclocking provided by his DACs. However I am merely repeating what I have read and do not profess expertise in this myself.

I’ve heard RF being mistaken for “more detail” but never “greater soundstage”.

G

May 15, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #4,710 of 4,904
I’ve heard RF being mistaken for “more detail” but never “greater soundstage”.

G

You get the drift though, and it is mistaken for a good deal more things as well. And that is why there is difficulty in communication when someone just reports that a sound is 'better' rather than describing what they hear and how and why they think it is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back