Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #4,651 of 4,904
Have updated my post above with a conclusion to my findings.

Just thought I would add a comment for new owners of the Blu MkII because this took me a while to work this out for myself. If you don’t know already, you have bought a product with staggering resolution capability even via the humble CD and whilst everyone has a finite budget for ancillary products I would urge you to focus on the weak link in the chain which will almost certainly be your analogue interconnect. Don’t assume a company which produces a brilliant high resolution digital cable will design an equally brilliant high resolution analogue cable either. We talk a lot here about reducing RFI and that is critically important too but when you have eradicated RFI it will be the cable geometry and quality of materials used that will count regarding SQ. Imo you should find the absolute highest resolution analogue interconnect you can afford to get the best out of Blu MkII because it is possible to hear greater resolution from red book than I believe many out there are hearing from 96/24 without a stellar resolving analogue interconnect cable. What you will get will be better separation, detail, Timbre and harmonics as well as vastly more resolved and smoother orchestral strings. This product (Blu MkII) is truly amazing imo and identifying any bottleneck in your chain will serve to improve your enjoyment I am sure. Happy listening.

Its good to see another fan of the Blu Mk II appreciating just how good it is.

I am also a very happy owner and I also agree that the analogue cable between the Dave and the amplifier can make a big difference to the sound as indeed can the speaker cables.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4,652 of 4,904
I originally bought the blu2 thinking i would use it for my CD collection...as it turned out I sold my CD's other than my SACD collection which I use on my loudspeaker system and i have been using my blu2 with my roon nucleus and hard drive filled with music and LOVE it.......a truly great product IMHO

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #4,653 of 4,904
I have the HMS - Dave combination, running from Roon via iMac/USB. I have been curious if I could hear any difference between lossless ripped CDs through the HMS and playing the same ones on the Blu2, as I have been considering exchanging my M-Scaler for a Blu2. Both use identical M-Scaler circuits, and a lossless ripped CD should be bitwise identical to a the original CD, so they should sound the same, although some have suggested other factors may affect the sound. Certainly the signal path up to the HMS / Blu2 BNC outputs is different.

I had the chance to borrow a Blu2 for a day, so I did an A-B comparison. I had the M-Scaler on one set of BNC inputs on the Dave, and the Blu2 on the other. I played the ripped versions (ALAC) through the HMS, and the CDs from which they were ripped directly from the Blu2. A-B was very easy - I had both playing at the same time and just switched back-and-forth using the Dave remote.

I listened to a wide variety of tracks, from many genres, for many hours. At no point could I hear an audible difference.

So in the end I will hold on to the HMS and pass on the Blu2. The only selling points for me would be aesthetics (match for the Dave) and being able to play physical CDs (I still like that feeling), but it is not enough to justify the price difference. And in the end I like the look of the Dave in the Choral stand stacked above the HMS (see my Avatar).

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,654 of 4,904
I have the HMS - Dave combination, running from Roon via iMac/USB. I have been curious if I could hear any difference between lossless ripped CDs through the HMS and playing the same ones on the Blu2, as I have been considering exchanging my M-Scaler for a Blu2. Both use identical M-Scaler circuits, and a lossless ripped CD should be bitwise identical to a the original CD, so they should sound the same, although some have suggested other factors may affect the sound. Certainly the signal path up to the HMS / Blu2 BNC outputs is different.

I had the chance to borrow a Blu2 for a day, so I did an A-B comparison. I had the M-Scaler on one set of BNC inputs on the Dave, and the Blu2 on the other. I played the ripped versions (ALAC) through the HMS, and the CDs from which they were ripped directly from the Blu2. A-B was very easy - I had both playing at the same time and just switched back-and-forth using the Dave remote.

I listened to a wide variety of tracks, from many genres, for many hours. At no point could I hear an audible difference.

So in the end I will hold on to the HMS and pass on the Blu2. The only selling points for me would be aesthetics (match for the Dave) and being able to play physical CDs (I still like that feeling), but it is not enough to justify the price difference. And in the end I like the look of the Dave in the Choral stand stacked above the HMS (see my Avatar).

If you are going to do a test like that then you really need to disconnect the other piece of equipment whilst you listen to the second one. Otherwise there will be cross contamination of any RF noise between one and the other and inevitably they will both end up being judged against the same RF contamination getting into the Dave analogue stages.

Also, straight out of the box and using standard BNC cables the Mscaler and Blu2 do sound different (IMHO) even when they are fed the same ripped file (but NOT plugged into Dave both at the same time). This is inevitable due to the additional built in RF isolation within the MScaler but is likely to be eroded if you have them plugged into Dave at the same time. Also, did you try adding extra RF filtering to the Blu2? With this some find the Blu2 can be better than the MScaler even with the same ripped files.

But the main issue was having both plugged into Dave at the same time.

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #4,655 of 4,904
If you are going to do a test like that then you really need to disconnect the other piece of equipment whilst you listen to the second one. Otherwise there will be cross contamination of any RF noise between one and the other and inevitably they will both end up being judged against the same RF contamination getting into the Dave analogue stages.

Also, straight out of the box and using standard BNC cables the Mscaler and Blu2 do sound different (IMHO) even when they are fed the same ripped file (but NOT plugged into Dave both at the same time). This is inevitable due to the additional built in RF isolation within the MScaler but is likely to be eroded if you have them plugged into Dave at the same time. Also, did you try adding extra RF filtering to the Blu2? With this some find the Blu2 can be better than the MScaler even with the same ripped files.

In the end his post demonstrates that the differences are small. Consider for a moment that he could not hear an audible difference between an Apple Lossless encoded album and a CD— yet there has been enough internet debate to fill science reference volumes about the differences between iTunes, Exact Audio Copy, dBpoweramp, ALAC, FLAC, and AIFF. In addition to that he didn’t observe the need to install 4 or 20 ferrites on the BNC cables which is a subject I wish this thread could move on from. When you Google ferrites, this thread is now one of the top search results.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #4,656 of 4,904

Easy enough to test as I still have the unit. A-B comparison is a little less convenient, but doable. I have still not heard a significant difference on any track I have tried so far. I also connected and disconnected the non-playing unit to isolate it as I was playing each one - really easy to do this. I did not heard any effect of connecting / disconnecting the other unit. It seems there is no RFI difference between the two that I can hear, perhaps my place is relatively "clean".

Note that I am comparing CD playback on the Blu2 to the ripped file over the HMS. I have not compared ripped files playback between the two.

I am using the stock BNC cables. The earlier problem I had with drop-outs is completely gone. It was a Dave issue, fixed by replacing the Dave (thanks to Chord and Stefan!).

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #4,657 of 4,904
In the end his post demonstrates that the differences are small. Consider for a moment that he could not hear an audible difference between an Apple Lossless encoded album and a CD— yet there has been enough internet debate on the web to fill science reference volumes about the differences between iTunes, Exact Audio Copy, dBpoweramp, ALAC, FLAC, and AIFF. In addition to that he didn’t observe the need to install 4 or 20 ferrites on the BNC cables which is a subject I wish this thread could move on from. When you Google ferrites, this thread is now one of the top search results.

Lulz

I :hearts: dBpoweramp

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #4,658 of 4,904
Easy enough to test as I still have the unit. A-B comparison is a little less convenient, but doable. I have still not heard a significant difference on any track I have tried so far. I also connected and disconnected the non-playing unit to isolate it as I was playing each one - really easy to do this. I did not heard any effect of connecting / disconnecting the other unit. It seems there is no RFI difference between the two that I can hear, perhaps my place is relatively "clean".

Note that I am comparing CD playback on the Blu2 to the ripped file over the HMS. I have not compared ripped files playback between the two.

I am using the stock BNC cables. The earlier problem I had with drop-outs is completely gone. It was a Dave issue, fixed by replacing the Dave (thanks to Chord and Stefan!).

Just consider that never mind the cd and ripped files possible difference issue, with stock cables you should be hearing a difference between blu2 and HMS in any case. Otherwise Rob would not have bothered to put the extra RF isolation in the HMS because there be no need.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #4,659 of 4,904
Wave Cable.jpg
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Just received Nicks Wave cables, I am a believer now, they improved the sound immediately.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #4,660 of 4,904
I have just played Ella Fitzgerald Gold (a double CD of her work) and it never ceases to amaze me that recordings made 63yrs ago can still sound as good as anything recorded since then. Kudos to the guys at PolyGram Records in this case. They must have done a fabulous job in the studio and of course the same of Gary Moore who remastered these recordings for Universal Digital Mastering Studios - London 2003

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #4,661 of 4,904
I have just played Ella Fitzgerald Gold (a double CD of her work) and it never ceases to amaze me that recordings made 63yrs ago can still sound as good as anything recorded since then. Kudos to the guys at PolyGram Records in this case. They must have done a fabulous job in the studio and of course the same of Gary Moore who remastered these recordings for Universal Digital Mastering Studios - London 2003
Many old recordings are superb. While we certainly have digital now, there was evidently great analogue equipment back then.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,662 of 4,904

Have you considered swapping the Mac for a dedicated Roon server/endpoint? I was happy w/ leaving my laptop server behind but it was Windows, maybe Mac is not bad.

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #4,663 of 4,904
Have you considered swapping the Mac for a dedicated Roon server/endpoint? I was happy w/ leaving my laptop server behind but it was Windows, maybe Mac is not bad.
I have not tried it yet. I am happy with using the iMac, and I have no incentive at this point to change.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,664 of 4,904
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Just received Nicks Wave cables, I am a believer now, they improved the sound immediately.

I too recently got Nick's cables. Surprised/impressed by the weight and construction quality - these are substantial bits of kit we have here!

My system was already very resolving (Blu2/DAVE, Illusonic IAP4, Sanders Magtech x2, Sanders Electrostatic/TL Speakers, LessLoss power and analogue cabling, industrial balanced transformer 2kW) but Nick's cables gave me yet another level of performance

Each and every instrument is held rock solid in the wide, high sound space. Tone and texture are deep and authentic. Everything is just SO fast and sharp but utterly comfortable to listen to at very high volumes. Absolute no digital edge or harshness whatsoever and I can now play so loud I can feel the air on my face as the panels pump out their fluid magic

And the bass .........:L3000:

A worthwhile investment without any doubt

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #4,665 of 4,904
For Mikey any difference between imac usb/optical into hms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back