Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #4,006 of 4,904
OK, so Rob has figured out how to sort the RF issue internally to the M Scaler. Is it possible that there is a mod for the Blu2 that will apply this fix to the M Scaler inside the Blu2? Could Chord offer this as an upgrade to the Blu2 and to soothe the envy of the early adopting Blu2 owners?

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,007 of 4,904
OK, so Rob has figured out how to sort the RF issue internally to the M Scaler. Is it possible that there is a mod for the Blu2 that will apply this fix to the M Scaler inside the Blu2? Could Chord offer this as an upgrade to the Blu2 and to soothe the envy of the early adopting Blu2 owners?
This approach makes sense to me. Even if it's at the Blu2 owner's expense. I'm annoyed that I over spent on Blu2, but pissed off to learn I now own an inferior sounding product. Unless I buy a HMS and directly compare it with my Blu2 + ferrites + ISO Regen, I won't know if more can be done to maximize Blu's potential. A recommended configuration / solution from Chord would be appreciated. I'm considering listing my Blu2, but doubt I could even get $6K for my unit that is less than a month old at this point Not good.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #4,008 of 4,904
This approach makes sense to me. Even if it's at the Blu2 owner's expense. I'm annoyed that I over spent on Blu2, but pissed off to learn I now own an inferior sounding product. Unless I buy a HMS and directly compare it with my Blu2 + ferrites + ISO Regen, I won't know if more can be done to maximize Blu's potential. A recommended configuration / solution from Chord would be appreciated. I'm considering listing my Blu2, but doubt I could even get $6K for my unit that is less than a month old at this point Not good.
I don't blame you for being upset, I would be too if that happened to me, because they knew they were coming out with the new m scaler which was cheaper and fixed the RF problem, and still let people buy the more expensive "old" model. On a different note did Romz almost get banned at CA for mentioning Paul Hynes too much? :ksc75smile:

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #4,009 of 4,904
I don't blame you for being upset, I would be too if that happened to me, because they knew they were coming out with the new m scaler which was cheaper and fixed the RF problem, and still let people buy the more expensive "old" model. On a different note did Romz almost get banned at CA for mentioning Paul Hynes too much? :ksc75smile:
I do not think a company is obligated to disclose their full roadmap. It makes good business sense to keep interest in the products currently available (sell what's on the truck first), but when dealers representing the company make statements such as, "Chord tells me m-scaler will not happen this year", it's hard not to feel you've been lied to.

I'm done venting as I know nothing will come from it. As an owner of a Mojo, Hugo2, Dave, Blu2 and a previous owner of a TT, I am seriously disappointed with the way Chord handled the "lead" up to this announcement.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #4,010 of 4,904
We've been hinting at this release, m-scaler, since the beginning of the new year, last year even. Not a surprise at all, seeing all the new releases designed for it. What was a surprise was the actual release of the TT2, which I still consider a close competitor of DAVE.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,011 of 4,904
Just back from CanJam. Did both days and attended both of Rob Watts’ talks. Met several Head-fiers and especially pleased to have met Roy (@romaz) and Rajiv (@Austin pop) over from the States. Yes, Christer, they are going to a Proms concert this evening.

Listened to M-scaler/Hugo TT with my Focal Utopias yesterday (from Chord’s laptop via usb) and with my HE1000v2 today (using my AK380 via optical). Listened to different tracks today so not really able to comment on optical vs usb peformance, save to say that there was an impressive sense of clarity, realism and authority both days. No ferrites on the stock 1m Chord Electroncs BNC cables and no obvious signs of glare on playback. Also listened first to the Hugo TT on its own yesterday and immediately felt it was superior to the Hugo 2 I traded-in for my Blu 2 several months ago. Whereas the H2 could sometimes sound a bit hard and fatiguing at the top end with my Utopias with some recordings, there was no trace of this with the TT but it was just as, if not more resolving than the H2 and there was just this understated confidence and control about the way it presented music.

I didn’t go for the pre-order show offer on the m-scaler but there’s a good chance I will buy one along with the Hugo TT before the end of the year.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,012 of 4,904
I do not think a company is obligated to disclose their full roadmap. It makes good business sense to keep interest in the products currently available (sell what's on the truck first), but when dealers representing the company make statements such as, "Chord tells me m-scaler will not happen this year", it's hard not to feel you've been lied to.

I'm done venting as I know nothing will come from it. As an owner of a Mojo, Hugo2, Dave, Blu2 and a previous owner of a TT, I am seriously disappointed with the way Chord handled the "lead" up to this announcement.

Well personally I am luckily only stuck with a by know very outdated and very difficult to sell second hand,original HUGO1 that has given me both joy and troubles, and a quite ok Qutest that can be connected to this new M-Scaler.
But I had hoped for something both much more portable and a lot cheaper than what has just materialized.
I wonder what is in that big box?
It is very costly to be at the Chord digital front line.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4,014 of 4,904
Just back from CanJam. Did both days and attended both of Rob Watts’ talks. Met several Head-fiers and especially pleased to have met Roy (@romaz) and Rajiv (@Austin pop) over from the States. Yes, Christer, they are going to a Proms concert this evening.

Listened to M-scaler/Hugo TT with my Focal Utopias yesterday (from Chord’s laptop via usb) and with my HE1000v2 today (using my AK380 via optical). Listened to different tracks today so not really able to comment on optical vs usb peformance, save to say that there was an impressive sense of clarity, realism and authority both days. No ferrites on the stock 1m Chord Electroncs BNC cables and no obvious signs of glare on playback. Also listened first to the Hugo TT on its own yesterday and immediately felt it was superior to the Hugo 2 I traded-in for my Blu 2 several months ago. Whereas the H2 could sometimes sound a bit hard and fatiguing at the top end with my Utopias with some recordings, there was no trace of this with the TT but it was just as, if not more resolving than the H2 and there was just this understated confidence and control about the way it presented music.

I didn’t go for the pre-order show offer on the m-scaler but there’s a good chance I will buy one along with the Hugo TT before the end of the year.

Nice to hear, I hope you had a good time. But you are missing out on the possibly most massive classical symphony of all live at the Proms tonight!
I would have joined the others to the Proms if I were you.
I wish I could have been there for Mahler's mighty 8th symphony.
It really is a stupendous work and live in the Royal Albert Hall is one of the best places to hear it.
A huge space that lets "The Symphony of a Thousand" expand as in few other Concert Halls worldwide.
Luckily I have heard it both there and elsewhere live.
But tonight I will have to listen via my Qutest and BBC Radio 3.
Cheers Christer.

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,017 of 4,904
I think Chord serves a real need and struck a chord with music enthusiasts. The challenge is that chord is not cheap at all and there are no comparable competitors so far. Blaming chord for being able to offer better devices for a lower price to serve more people is ridiculous, even though emotional understandable, but the price of progress, the reason for being able to listen to music by using this type of technology in the first place. A quantum of solace for early adapters is that you are pioneers.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #4,019 of 4,904
I think Chord serves a real need and struck a chord with music enthusiasts. The challenge is that chord is not cheap at all and there are no comparable competitors so far. Blaming chord for being able to offer better devices for a lower price to serve more people is ridiculous, even though emotional understandable, but the price of progress, the reason for being able to listen to music by using this type of technology in the first place. A quantum of solace for early adapters is that you are pioneers.
Few people are faulting Chord for offering more for less. That's a good thing. A CD'less m-scaler was inevitable so no surprise there either. However, I was surprised regarding timing and would have made a different decision if the dealers I heard from had accurate information. It's like buying a car at the end of the year after being told by the dealer that the next model year would remain the same. Surprise surprise, the new model is a complete redesign at half the cost. You're welcome to buy a new one, but now you're upside down in the one you own and no one else would be foolish enough to buy it unless it's cheaper than the new one.

Again, when buying any product you're taking a calculated risk that something "better" will come along. I am miffed that my calculations were based off bad information. Rant over..... It is what it is at this point but it's hard not to respond after being told you being "ridiculous"...

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #4,020 of 4,904
Well personally I am luckily only stuck with a by know very outdated and very difficult to sell second hand,original HUGO1 that has given me both joy and troubles, and a quite ok Qutest that can be connected to this new M-Scaler.
But I had hoped for something both much more portable and a lot cheaper than what has just materialized.
I wonder what is in that big box?
It is very costly to be at the Chord digital front line.
Cheers Christer

I think your comments show a certain lack of engineering understanding... smaller and cheaper than Hugo MScaler?

Clearly some people always complain no matter what is given to them....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back