Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #541 of 4,904
Sorry Rob. I don't fully understand this. I have played music from my macbook connecting an USB cable to Blu2 and DAVE showing Double-BNC 705.6 KHz with the unit in stand by mode, with the CD player in stand-by. Is this correct? No digital silence in my unit, it is fully working.
Thanks
Oscar
Inside the Blu2 case, you have the CD transport + electronics to read the transport, plus the M Scaler electronics. Rob may be trying to say that selecting standby mode, puts the CD transport plus associated electronics into standby, but still leaves the M Scaler electronics active.
Because the M Scaler electronics are still active, you are able to connect your macbook and still use the M Scaler to process the data and then feed your DAVE.
Also remember that when people have suggested including the M Scaler inside the DAVE case, it is pointed out that the M Scaler requires power at 10A at 1V (ie 10W).
When you use your Macbook to feed the M Scaler, it will be generating 10W of heat, which probably explains why your Blu2 case still feels warm, when you were expecting it to be cool.

May 20, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #542 of 4,904
Hi, thanks. I assume that that is the point and is also my explanation to why the Blu2 is being warm. So standby is really only for the CDplayer, since the Mscaler is active. You have to turn of the switch at the rear panel to fully turn off the Blu2

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #544 of 4,904
Hi, thanks. I assume that that is the point and is also my explanation to why the Blu2 is being warm. So standby is really only for the CDplayer, since the Mscaler is active. You have to turn of the switch at the rear panel to fully turn off the Blu2
The M scaler will enter standby mode, with automatic power reduction, when there is digital silence - which presumably means no CD, or USB, or other input signal. This standby will still use a small amount of power, so I think that you are right that to fully turn the Blu2 off, requires the rear panel switch.

That would be similar to my Arcam solo, where the front panel power switch activates standby mode, but full power off requires the rear panel switch.

May 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #545 of 4,904
Sorry Rob. I don't fully understand this. I have played music from my macbook connecting an USB cable to Blu2 and DAVE showing Double-BNC 705.6 KHz with the unit in stand by mode, with the CD player in stand-by. Is this correct? No digital silence in my unit, it is fully working.
Thanks
Oscar
Yes that is correct - the M scaler itself goes into power saving mode if all of it's inputs are digital silence. The standby mode is for the CD only.

May 20, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #547 of 4,904
Thank you very much Rob!

May 21, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #548 of 4,904
Blu2+DAVE really means DAVE2. It could not only considered a complement or add-on. I feel it like a new level of sound. When I thought redbook (all my music are CD rips plus some bandcamp AIFFs) couldn't be better, here comes the Blu2 to prove me wrong. Soundstage width and depth are considerably improved, sound is more detailed and indeed smoother, more textured, more real. Definitely, DAVE 2 is here (to stay):grinning:

May 21, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #549 of 4,904
Blu2+DAVE really means DAVE2. It could not only considered a complement or add-on. I feel it like a new level of sound. When I thought redbook (all my music are CD rips plus some bandcamp AIFFs) couldn't be better, here comes the Blu2 to prove me wrong. Soundstage width and depth are considerably improved, sound is more detailed and indeed smoother, more textured, more real. Definitely, DAVE 2 is here (to stay):grinning:

Interesting to hear CD played through blu 2 before and after processing via m-scaler. The difference is substantial.

Yes there is life in those CD's yet.

May 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #550 of 4,904
Interesting to hear CD played through blu 2 before and after processing via m-scaler. The difference is substantial.

Yes there is life in those CD's yet.

How did you output from the Blu2 without any MScaler processing?

May 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #553 of 4,904
If that's correct, you can connect Blu 2 to DAVE using the dual data inputs 1 and 2, and make another connection from Blu 2's BNC out to, say BNC 3 on the DAVE, and using the remote switch between the CD you're playing with and without the m-scaler. I don't know if the BNC out will also output a USB feed, but if so, you can carry out the same comparison with audio files.

May 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #555 of 4,904
If that's correct, you can connect Blu 2 to DAVE using the dual data inputs 1 and 2, and make another connection from Blu 2's BNC out to, say BNC 3 on the DAVE, and using the remote switch between the CD you're playing with and without the m-scaler. I don't know if the BNC out will also output a USB feed, but if so, you can carry out the same comparison with audio files.
see my post, it is partially upscaled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back