Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #496 of 4,904
Sure. It is a fascinating thread covering a wide range of topics and takes a bit of time to read (1800 posts at last count), but it contains some impressively experimental and dispassionate assessments of upstream signal processing components. Really bites vigorously into digital music processes from power supply to optimized server design to clocking effects (some of which the contributors readily and frankly refreshingly admit that they don't fully understand) up to the DAC. An informative thread on digital music reproduction. The great news is that the thread originator uses a Chord Dave.

Disclosure: I have not yet tried any of the approaches discussed. The credibility of those posting, however, seems remarkably good. Am waiting for my Chord Blu Mk2 and Dave. I intend to test these devices in my upstream system as soon as possible after that, though, but would enjoy hearing from anyone with the Blu Mk2 in their chain.

Here's the pointer:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #497 of 4,904
Sure. It is a fascinating thread covering a wide range of topics and takes a bit of time to read (1800 posts at last count), but it contains some impressively experimental and dispassionate assessments of upstream signal processing components. Really bites vigorously into digital music processes from power supply to optimized server design to clocking effects (some of which the contributors readily and frankly refreshingly admit that they don't fully understand) up to the DAC. An informative thread on digital music reproduction. The great news is that the thread originator uses a Chord Dave.

Disclosure: I have not yet tried any of the approaches discussed. The credibility of those posting, however, seems remarkably good. Am waiting for my Chord Blu Mk2 and Dave. I intend to test these devices in my upstream system as soon as possible after that, though, but would enjoy hearing from anyone with the Blu Mk2 in their chain.

Here's the pointer:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/

Thanks, I will have a look at that. I have had my Blu2 for just over a week now. What I find interesting is just how quickly one gets used to the Blu2 / Dave sound and that it makes going back to just the Dave seem like a very retrograde step, yet I know that the Dave by itself is very very good.

As I have said on another forum, eating the forbidden fruit of the Blu2 is something that cannot be undone. Once heard, it is a sound experience that cannot be wiped from my audio memory.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #499 of 4,904
Over at CA, Romaz initiated a fascinating thread, "A novel way to massively improve the SQ of the SMS-200 and microRendu" that describes a variety of ways to improve SQ, including bridging NAA and router and use of improved clocks, as in the SOtM SMS-200 ultra and tx-USB ultra upstream of the DAC. Romaz has noted improvements in SQ with output from Chord Dave with these upstream elements. Wondering if anyone here using the Chord Blu Mk2 are using any of these and whether a similar SQ improvement is heard? I'm going to be auditioning the Blu Mk2 and Dave in June, but will not be able to assess these features until the Blu Mk2 and Dave land in my home. Thank you.

What would be mist interesting would be a comparison between USB input and CD direct off the transport.

May 14, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #500 of 4,904

Hi to all Chord Blu Mk2 owners,

My Dave LCD Screen is Blinking when connected with the Blu Mk2. If there are no signal going through like CD on pause the screen will blink even Blu Mk2 is on standby Dave screen will blink too.

Only when the CD in Blu Mk2 are playing the blinking on Dave will stop.

Anyone out there with this experience? Thank you. Cheers.

May 15, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #501 of 4,904

My Dave LCD Screen is Blinking when connected with the Blu Mk2. If there are no signal going through like CD on pause the screen will blink even Blu Mk2 is on standby Dave screen will blink too.

I have just tried to reproduce what you describe and my Blu2 / Dave does not do what your does ie when the CD play is paused the Dave screen mine is still rock solid. If I have an live input into the USB or BNC of the Blu2 whilst the CD is playing and then pause the CD, the Dave screen blinks once as the Blu2 transfers to the USB or BNC source.

Have you got anything plugged into the USB or BNC inputs of Blu2?

Also, as an aside, why do you have DSD selected on the Dave if playing CDs on the Blu2?

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #502 of 4,904
I have just tried to reproduce what you describe and my Blu2 / Dave does not do what your does ie when the CD play is paused the Dave screen mine is still rock solid. If I have an live input into the USB or BNC of the Blu2 whilst the CD is playing and then pause the CD, the Dave screen blinks once as the Blu2 transfers to the USB or BNC source.

Have you got anything plugged into the USB or BNC inputs of Blu2?

Also, as an aside, why do you have DSD selected on the Dave if playing CDs on the Blu2?

Hi Triode User,

No, I don't have anything plug into Blu MK2 other than the dual BNC connected to DAVE BNC 1 and 2. I am at the moment playing CD only. No USB yet.

This only happen when the Blu MK2 is connected with the DAVE. Before I am using the Blu. When connected with the DAVE and I don't have this issue at all (Blinking when CD is pause or on Standby).

As for selecting DSD Plus is because I am switching between PCM and DSD to see if the blinking goes away. So how the video was capture when I switch it to DSD plus.

Cheers, thanks.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #503 of 4,904
Hi Triode User,

No, I don't have anything plug into Blu MK2 other than the dual BNC connected to DAVE BNC 1 and 2. I am at the moment playing CD only. No USB yet.

This only happen when the Blu MK2 is connected with the DAVE. Before I am using the Blu. When connected with the DAVE and I don't have this issue at all (Blinking when CD is pause or on Standby).

As for selecting DSD Plus is because I am switching between PCM and DSD to see if the blinking goes away. So how the video was capture when I switch it to DSD plus.

Cheers, thanks.

OK, more update from me.

I have reproduced exactly your system by unplugging my USB and BNC inputs from the Blu2. I now get the same blinking of the Dave display when the Blu2 CD is paused.

So, I surmise that there is nothing wrong with your unit. As to why it does it I don't know but I shall not lose any sleep over it.

May 15, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #504 of 4,904
Thanks, I will have a look at that. I have had my Blu2 for just over a week now. What I find interesting is just how quickly one gets used to the Blu2 / Dave sound and that it makes going back to just the Dave seem like a very retrograde step, yet I know that the Dave by itself is very very good.

As I have said on another forum, eating the forbidden fruit of the Blu2 is something that cannot be undone. Once heard, it is a sound experience that cannot be wiped from my audio memory.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Blu2. I would be really interested in a comparison between a CD and the same CD ripped to FLAC and played through the USB input.

May 15, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #505 of 4,904
OK, more update from me.

I have reproduced exactly your system by unplugging my USB and BNC inputs from the Blu2. I now get the same blinking of the Dave display when the Blu2 CD is paused.

So, I surmise that there is nothing wrong with your unit. As to why it does it I don't know but I shall not lose any sleep over it.

Thanks Triode User,

At least I know we are sharing the same blinking issue. Not that it is a problem in SQ but it is sure a distraction. Will connect a USB from now.

But I don't have this blinking issue when connected with the Blu.

Thank you for your help. Appreciated, cheers.

May 15, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #506 of 4,904
Thanks Triode User,

At least I know we are sharing the same blinking issue. Not that it is a problem in SQ but it is sure a distraction. Will connect a USB from now.

But I don't have this blinking issue when connected with the Blu.

Thank you for your help. Appreciated, cheers.

I suspect that when you pause the CD the Blu2 then looks for an alternative input and the Dave display blinks each time the Blu2 looks. If it can find an alternative it locks onto that and stops blinking. If no alternative inputs are connected then Blu2 just keeps on looking.

Normally of course it will lock onto the CD but I guess that if the CD is paused it effectively disappears as a source. The blinking will of course be a good reminder that you still have a spinning paused CD in the Blu2 (I think I am right that paused CDs carry on spinning).

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #507 of 4,904
Better than spotify?You do realize spotify is MP3?

If you write MP3 but wanted to say lossy – then you are correct. Spotify does not use a MP3 codec, they use OGG. Right now however they are testing out lossless streaming.

This is all off topic in this thread, but there are bigger problems with most recordings, than that they have been lossy decoded. I would say a well-recorded and dynamically intact recording will survive a well-done lossy encoding quite well. The bigger problem is the (low) dynamics of modern recordings.

May 15, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #508 of 4,904

I don't think that many Blu 2s have shipped yet - just you, Triode, and a guy in Singapore. You are a member of a very select beta-testers club.

May 15, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #509 of 4,904
I don't think that many Blu 2s have shipped yet - just you, Triode, and a guy in Singapore. You are a member of a very select beta-testers club.

Or maybe the others are just keeping quiet . . . . . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back