Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 23, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #331 of 4,904
I think that must be his dealer's set up as it's not yet been collected. Maybe the dealer could let us have some first impressions?

That is my set Blu MK2 in Black. Dealer did have his Blu MK2 for demo in Silver. Did ask for a first impression but they are also caught out without a pair of BNC to BNC digital cable. Thank you

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #333 of 4,904
That is my set Blu MK2 in Black. Dealer did have his Blu MK2 for demo in Silver. Did ask for a first impression but they are also caught out without a pair of BNC to BNC digital cable. Thank you

Rob Watts has said earlier in this thread (post 316),

"There will be "get up and going" BNC to BNC cables - for two reasons. Running at 768 kHz SPDIF is a first; I was worried that somebody would use a flaky BNC cable that was not true 75 ohm coaxial cable. So supplying a set that is guaranteed to work will prove that a potential problem was the cables. The second reason is just to make sure you are up and running immediately.
I have tested it with a range of expensive BNC and it worked perfectly so perhaps my worries are not really a problem. Will be doing some proper listening tests when I get back from Asia."

So your box should have a pair of BNC to BNC I think.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #334 of 4,904
Rob Watts has said earlier in this thread (post 316),

"There will be "get up and going" BNC to BNC cables - for two reasons. Running at 768 kHz SPDIF is a first; I was worried that somebody would use a flaky BNC cable that was not true 75 ohm coaxial cable. So supplying a set that is guaranteed to work will prove that a potential problem was the cables. The second reason is just to make sure you are up and running immediately.
I have tested it with a range of expensive BNC and it worked perfectly so perhaps my worries are not really a problem. Will be doing some proper listening tests when I get back from Asia."

So your box should have a pair of BNC to BNC I think.

Hopefully they come with it in my Blu MK2. Dealer Blu MK2 set are not included from what I know from them. Thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #335 of 4,904
Very nice setup and with the BeoLab 12-2 Grey speakers in the background =) 

Can you describe what type of power refinement gear you are using on the floor?
I can see the Nordost power capacitors and power line, but the rest is hard to see.

Then how do you feel about the M-Scaler upgrade vs DAVE alone ?

Thank for the B&O complement.

May be a little off topic but I will make short.

You are right they are Nordost stuff.
QRT QX4 Power Purifier 2units
QRT QB8 Distribution Block 1unit
QRT QV2 AC Line Harmonizer 4units
QRT QK1 AC Enhancer 2units
Isotek Genises One, Single Channel Power Conditional 2 units

[/IMG]

Can't comment on the Blu MK2 yet until I bring it back home from Singapore next week.

Thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #337 of 4,904
No, that's that only pair of Nordost TYR2 75ohms Digital cable I own for now. Will buy another pair soon to compare to hear if there are any different. With another pair of BNC I can than connect both Blu and Blu MK2 to DAVE for a A/B back to back listening.

They are Headphone system only. Thank you.

Thanks for the update.

Nordost are not cheap so if compared to the supplied cables , I would be interested in the result.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #338 of 4,904
  Thanks for the update.

Nordost are not cheap so if compared to the supplied cables , I would be interested in the result.

My reading of the Rob Watts post was that he was concerned that although some fancy cables my well be very expensive and glamorous, not all are true 75 ohm cables and their performance could suffer as a result. He knows that his supplied cables do the job required and using them therefore removes the possibility that the Blu2 / Dave combi might not function together as designed.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #339 of 4,904
Very nice setup and with the BeoLab 12-2 Grey speakers in the background =) 

Can you describe what type of power refinement gear you are using on the floor?
I can see the Nordost power capacitors and power line, but the rest is hard to see.

Then how do you feel about the M-Scaler upgrade vs DAVE alone ?

Thanks for the B&O compliment.

Yep, they are Nordost stuff and Isotek. It may be a little off topic but I will keep it short.

QRT QB8 Power Distribution Block 1unit
QRT QK1 AC Enhancer
Isotek Genses One, Single Channel Power Conditional 2units

Sorry can't comment on Blu MK2 until I bring it home from Singapore next week.

Currently running 2 BNC from CD Blu 176kHz to Dave already sound so good. Can't wait to compare them side by side CD Blu and Blu MK 2 into DAVE on a AB listening.

Hopefully CHORD supply the twin BNC cable if not will be out of pocket again. A quality proper length tune BNC true 75ohms Digital Cable are not over the counter stuff and they are expensive.

Thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #340 of 4,904

Thank you for the B&O complement.

Yep, they are Nordost and Isotek Stuff. May be a little off topic but will keep it short.

QRT QB8 Power Distribution Block 1unit
QRT QK1 AC Enhancer 2units
Isotek Genises One, Single Channel Power Conditional 2 units

Can't comment on the MK2 now until I bring it home from Singapore.

Currently my Blu with Dave are a great pairing using 2 true 75ohms BNC cable running 176kHz.

Will compare both the Blu and Blu MK2 for a A/B listening to hear the leap from 176kHz to 705.6kHz. Need to get another 2 BNC cable to perform this comparison and hope Chord does supply them. If not out of pocket again.

Cheers, thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #341 of 4,904

Each to his own.

I can't say what I think about this as it would severely test the mods patience and more than likely insult fellow members of the forum. Anyway, it would be off topic.
blink.gif

You asked what it was, so i answered you just in the wait for the first impression =)

Back to Blu M-Scaler topic

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #342 of 4,904
What do you guys think about redbook CD's? It is 2017 so I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't support higher resolution formats.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #343 of 4,904
What do you guys think about redbook CD's? It is 2017 so I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't support higher resolution formats.

With Chord technology, there's nothing wrong with red book. The Blu II supports higher resolution formats, but via its USB input. Basically, that means that it won't play the DSD layer of SACDs or DVD or Blu-Ray Audio but you can play DSD and PCM files via the USB input, as well as red book MP3s etc. With the exception of SACDs, ripping the audio from physical discs is straightforward.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #344 of 4,904

You asked what it was, so i answered you just in the wait for the first impression =)

Back to Blu M-Scaler topic

Yep, thanks.

Agreed, back to M Scaler . . . . . . .

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #345 of 4,904

I guess that the whole point of the Blue2 originally was to get the best out of redbook Cds. (It is, after all, a CD transport.)

The M Scaler was an attempt to make the redbook format sound better than before. Unexpectedly better in fact and that was why the decision was made to alter the design and put a USB input on the Blu2 so that the M Scaler's abilities could be used with other sources as well as the CD of the Blu2.

So, I would say that I 'm hoping that the Blu2 will reignite my excitement with redbook CDs as there is a huge amount of music out there in that format.

And I suppose that is my answer to you. What I think about redbook CDs is that for the foreseeable future redbook is the biggest source of music and is likely to be so for some time and hopefully the Blu2 / Dave combination will give the best available playback of that music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back