Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #4,216 of 4,904
I wouldn't have thought so. Optical I think, is limited to 192kHz and the Blu2 "magic" occurs at 705.6/768kHz. So If your DAC cannot accept a 705.6/768kHz digital audio signal then the money spent on Blu2 will not be getting the best of what it can do for audio....as usual YMMV.

Regards
GG
Thank you, I wasn’t clear, I meant from the source to the upscaler.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #4,218 of 4,904
I have read some reviews (see here or here) stating that the Blu2DAVE has a "darker" presentation compared to DAVE alone, in a good sense.

Do you Blu2 owners agree on this?

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #4,219 of 4,904
I have read some reviews (see here or here) stating that the Blu2DAVE has a "darker" presentation compared to DAVE alone, in a good sense.

Do you Blu2 owners agree on this?

I'm not sure about darker but certainly the improvement in bass was one of the first things that I noticed.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #4,222 of 4,904
It depends upon the program; certainly my 1960's Decca recordings sound a lot warmer and darker, with the edge gone. But modern classical shows less change in tonal qualities; but all recordings benefit in terms of instrument separation and focus, and the soundstage opening up; and yes bass is deeper and much better defined.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #4,223 of 4,904
Great, thank you for your feedback, I like the idea of smoothing out some residual digital edge / glare on my system without the trade-offs often associated to darkening components / tweaks, like soundstage collapse, veiling and focus loss :)

I look forward to enter the magic realm of M Scaler as soon as my Hugo M Scaler will arrive this fall!

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #4,225 of 4,904
It will sound great without the hf ferrites but it wound not address the fpga ground noise issue your cables being an effective ground will transfer the noise from Blu2 to Dave’s analog ground and that’s where the issue lies. I have some Wurth 2.5 GHz ferrites left over pm me with your address you can give them a try if you like the improvement keep them my gift!
Do the improvements in shielding EMF incorporated in the new M-scaler now eliminate the need for ferrites?

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #4,227 of 4,904
If I understand Rob’s comments he added smd ferrites internally which do a better job isolating HMS dual spdif outputs at 2 GHz than the clamp on ferrites on the Blu2 dual coax cables

I think to be fair to us Blu2 owners that our cable ferrites do the same job as the Hugo MScaler ie with the correct ferrites the Blu2 MScaler and new MScaler have the same affect.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4,229 of 4,904
In fairness, I don’t think anyone yet know that. One might be more effective than the other.

You luddy lawyers! Yes, OK, I accept that point which is fair and quite right!

I just didn't want the statement that the new MScaler was better than a ferrited Blu Mk2 to go without challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back