Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #3,871 of 4,904
Hugo M Scaler is out with galvanic isolation on USB in and galvanic isolation on BNC out.

It will better perform Blu2 and get rid of all ferrites.

Except that Blu2 already has galvanic isolation on the dual BNC outputs.

From the blu2 manual, "Digital outputs: AES (176.4kHz), BNC S/PDIF (384kHz), and DUAL BNC S/PDIF galvanically isolated"

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,872 of 4,904
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #3,874 of 4,904
I have just ordered a Hugo MScaler with my dealer. Apparently they had sold 3 before my email. :grinning:

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #3,876 of 4,904
Except that Blu2 already has galvanic isolation on the dual BNC outputs.

From the blu2 manual, "Digital outputs: AES (176.4kHz), BNC S/PDIF (384kHz), and DUAL BNC S/PDIF galvanically isolated"

I also don't see how to electrically isolate at 2GHz, if that is the freq range of the noise..... so I tend also to suspect ferrites will continue to help.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #3,877 of 4,904
I have to admit, I’m tempted to switch from my Blu2 to Hugo M Scaler, not for price reasons but because:
1) galvanically isolated USB input
2) toslink input
3) no CD transport means less likely to break down
4) front panel button controls instead of having to flip the switches at the back.

The other interesting aspect is
5) DX control for future product... originally, the future power pulse array amp need Chord DAVE to control the volume. But it’s possible that with the development of M Scaler, people can just hook the power pulse array amp directly to Hugo M Scaler and adjust the volume (or people can adjust volume directly on the amp). That said, I have speakers and subs so I’ll probably always need DAVE at least for my subs.
6) power adaptor - could it be inferior to Blu2’s? Would it influence the sound? Regardless, people are going to try third party power supplies for Hugo M Scaler. And the kicker is if you use third party power supplies to power Hugo M Scaler and your USB streamer, you’ll end up bypassing the USB galvanic isolation.
7) Blu2 runs hot. They’re saying Hugo M Scaler is stackable. Does that mean most of the heat will be dissipated from the external power supply?

Lots to digest. I’m sure Rob Watts will post his PowerPoint presentation online and comment a little more on Hugo M Scaler within the next week.

Technology marches on... time to go back to listening to Blu2 because it sounds fantasric
I really hope Chord would do the decent thing and allow for Blu2 trade in for Hugo Mscaler. Otherwise it just look bad for the conpany.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #3,878 of 4,904
I really hope Chord would do the decent thing and allow for Blu2 trade in for Hugo Mscaler. Otherwise it just look bad for the conpany.

It doesn’t look at all bad for the company. The Blu2 is a cd transport and upsampler. The M Scaler is just an upsampler. Chords previous cd transport cost big bucks. The Blu2 is still valid if you want a cd transport. If you bought a Blu2 but didn’t play any cds though it it is yr own silly fault, but at least you have had the M Scaler technology for longer than those of us who waited. Of course, one of the many issues will now be whether any old cd transport (including Chords earlier one) plus an M Scaler will be in any way worse than a Blu2.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #3,879 of 4,904
It doesn’t look at all bad for the company. The Blu2 is a cd transport and upsampler. The M Scaler is just an upsampler. Chords previous cd transport cost big bucks. The Blu2 is still valid if you want a cd transport. If you bought a Blu2 but didn’t play any cds though it it is yr own silly fault, but at least you have had the M Scaler technology for longer than those of us who waited.
You do realise that BLU2 is twice the price of Hugo Mscaler right? I am taking about trading in. If they dont allow then it would almost be like releaseing a new Blu2 with USB galvanic isolation + toslink input and dont let existing Blu2 customer upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #3,882 of 4,904
Yes.

You think cd transport in big case should be free?

How could a rational person with either a big or a small brain trade in a Blu2 for an M Scaler? How would he play his cds?
The rational person would have no need for CD and wants USB galvanic isolation + toslink input and willing to trade his twice expensive Blu2 for Hugo M scaler.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #3,884 of 4,904

Are you suggesting Chord would do a straight swap: a used product for a new one? I really can’t see then doing that and as far as I’m aware, no other manufacturer has done so. It makes no business sense.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,885 of 4,904
Are you suggesting Chord would do a straight swap: a used product for a new one? I really can’t see then doing that and as far as I’m aware, no other manufacturer has done so. It makes no business sense.

As i said if they dont do that then they might as well release the same Blu2 with newly toslink input and USB galvanic isolation and dont let a existing customer with Blu2 upgrade to it and have to buy a new one. The used product is twice the price. Also only people without the needs for CD would want the swap. They have supported the M scaler from the begining if thats worth anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back