Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #3,541 of 4,904
But I guess the absolute best sound quality will be when you place the ADC direct at the microphone and do all digital mixing without any "bad" sample rate conversions etc. Just imagine Isabelle Faust or Yuja Wang etc etc recorded in this way. :)

It will be awesome with the simple transparent analogue section, no floor noise modulation, no long runs with cables.

I have the capacity to imagine all kinds of awesome things (probably best if I skip on the details) which generally only results in disappointment. There may be a silver lining however, as Rob’s Davina research might lead to tangible benefits in other products.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,542 of 4,904
I finished last night verification for the 705/768 to 44.1/48k decimation filters. Next job is the noise shaper OP at 104.25 MHz to 750/768 decimation; and since this is -250 dB FIR filter, it will not be a easy process to code.

Davina is as @Crgreen identifies primarily a research project, so it's low on my priorities, although in the future I expect it to be big in the pro world - but that will be a new ADC interface specifically for pro.

I hope to fire up the prototype later this year....

When the prototype is ready, one possibility is to consider getting a few recordings done with a simple microphone setup - perhaps close mic'd solo instrumental recording done in a studio or even perhaps pick a grand venue for it. Recording can be done at 24/192 or 24/768 if a suitable recorder exists. Then these can serve as tracks to demo Chord gear - even perhaps usable as test tracks for design improvement.

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #3,543 of 4,904
I have the capacity to imagine all kinds of awesome things (probably best if I skip on the details) which generally only results in disappointment. There may be a silver lining however, as Rob’s Davina research might lead to tangible benefits in other products.

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. [ by Langston Hughes ]

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #3,545 of 4,904
Hello Rob,that sounds interesting. But I don't quite understand the need for decimation.
Why go to the extremes of 32/or even 64 bits and 768 khz sampling and then decimate it to 44.1??
Any decent laptop can quite easily handle 32/768 these days.

Why on earth would one want to risk "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" by decimating a real HIRES format?
In today's world of ever increasing data capacities at lowering costs I just don't see any need whatsoever to decimate a theoretically as perfect and not bandwidth limited signal as can be captured. Why risk throwing away crucially important timing and possibly also spectral hf information by doing so.

I am aware that there can be problems with extreme out of band noise and digital artifacts aliasing down into the audible band. But it also a fact in the real analogue world of live acoustic music that both strings/brass and and especially some percussive instruments actually produce harmonics high above the rbcd 22khz bandwidth limit. With some percussion I think the harmonics reach into the 90-100khz region or even higher?
Please don't read this as a personal attack or criticism.
It is not in any way intended as such.
I am only asking these questions again because I really care about the best possible sound with digital recording techniques.
PS I hope you enjoyed your Machu Picchu trek.

Please educate me.
Cheers Christer
PS 2 You may run the risk of running into me again in London in July, I see Canjam there coincides with the PROMS.
I LOVE the PROMS and I am a bit curious to see what you have up your sleeve to be introduced at Canjam.

There are a number of reasons why a decimation option is essential:
1. The demand for 44.1/48k is very strong - and there is a strong need for smaller bit rates and file sizes.
2. The Davina project is about research aas much as developing a product. One major question is the M scaler perfect? Or rather, how much of an audible loss is involved in bandwidth limiting>decimation to 44.1/48> M scaler back up to 705/768k. So the decimation filters are essential to answer this question.
3. Measurements of the ADC - the AP only accepts 192k as an input...

My personal view is that bandwidth limiting to 22 kHz is not a problem at all - the issues about high res is the timing of transients, and that can be solved with an appropriate tap length WTA filter. Of course, nobody knows what appropriate length is - that is at what point a doubling of tap length give no audible benefits.

Note the intent is to record at 705/768 then post process later to a required sample rate - so the baby won't be thrown out...

Yes I loved Machu Picchu, but the altitude sickness on the 4 day trek was not fun... I have been asked to post some photos, and hopefully will get round to it on Watts up? my blog.
See you at CanJam London!

I would have hoped Davina was higher priority, makes me sad to think of all recordings of great music made without better ADC technology. Also consider getting Davina ADC from tape of the old masters, finally perfect sound forever. :)

Yes I had already given myself the proverbial kick, so now most of my projects are complete, I will be putting much more focus on it.

This is indeed the hope, and I would be extremely surprised if knowledge is not increased immensely- and more knowledge always improves new designs. What it will provide is certainty about the whole decimation/interpolation process. And certainty is a very rare commodity in the audio design game!

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #3,546 of 4,904
Like you I hate the appearance of clip on ferrites. These are the latest incarnations of my own BNC cables that I have just finished. They have a solid silver central conductor, sliver plated sheathing and also with foil sheathing for HF screening. No clip on ferrites in sight or even on the cable. I have gone for a sleek look with the possibility of either everything hidden within a sheath or all on show. Both cables have identical construction apart from the cosmetics and both are flexible.

The conundrum is whether to put a sheath on the red one or take the sheath off the white one . . . . . . . . .

Oh, and they sound great. :grinning:

I haven’t visited this site in a while because my BluDave system is fully resolved and finished, but I’ve had some PM’s to respond to so I thought I’d see what was going on on this thread.

Whilst I’m a bit bored with the whole ferrite discussion, I’ll admit that these cables do look very interesting. I visited Nick last year as I wasn’t too far away from him at the time and it was interesting to see and hear his BluDave system and compare it with my own. I will say that, having witnessed and heard Nick’s own build cables first hand, including his NiNi speaker cables, then it wouldn’t surprise me at all if these do sound very good.

When are you going into proper production Nick? :wink:

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #3,547 of 4,904
I haven’t visited this site in a while because my BluDave system is fully resolved and finished, but I’ve had some PM’s to respond to so I thought I’d see what was going on on this thread.

Whilst I’m a bit bored with the whole ferrite discussion, I’ll admit that these cables do look very interesting. I visited Nick last year as I wasn’t too far away from him at the time and it was interesting to see and hear his BluDave system and compare it with my own. I will say that, having witnessed and heard Nick’s own build cables first hand, including his NiNi speaker cables, then it wouldn’t surprise me at all if these do sound very good.

Fully resolved? What about the night and day upgrade to the Zenith SE? I can’t imagine you won’t be tempted by that.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #3,548 of 4,904

Malc, Hi, nice to hear from you.

In answer to your question, now.

I have just this second been doing some final listening sessions with the Blu2 and Dave and my final bnc cables. I have signed them off with an 'Oh, boy! Tight thunderous bass.' and a big cheesy grin.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #3,549 of 4,904
Fully resolved? What about the night and day upgrade to the Zenith SE? I can’t imagine you won’t be tempted by that.

Times move on. Keep up. It is the Zenith Statement now for 'night and day' upgrades! :wink:

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #3,550 of 4,904

:dt880smile: I’m not interested in that at all - firstly, I doubt it will be noticeably better than my own SE with attaching paraphernalia from SoTM but, also, two rack shelves needed!! No thanks. And I never claim ‘night and day’ changes, they largely do not exist - although I would possibly admit that for BluDave. Maybe my Blade 2’s as well.......... :wink:

Malc, Hi, nice to hear from you.

In answer to your question, now.

I have just this second been doing some final listening sessions with the Blu2 and Dave and my final bnc cables. I have signed them off with an 'Oh, boy! Tight thunderous bass.' and a big cheesy grin.

Shame it took you so long! I’ve already settled my cables and (unsightly, rigid, heavy, inflexible) ferrites. But I agree, the bass is still one of the things that continues to impress and surprise me about my own setup - it dives so deep and yet is always taught and tightly controlled. Quite marvelous actually.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #3,552 of 4,904
Actually, that’s what I was referring to. According to one of your earlier posts, the Zenith SE can be upgraded to Statement status. It’s the Zenith which can be upgraded, not the Statement. Keep up.

Yes, I did get that you meant the Statement, but I didn’t know that you could upgrade from the SE.

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3,553 of 4,904
:dt880smile: I’m not interested in that at all - firstly, I doubt it will be noticeably better than my own SE with attaching paraphernalia from SoTM but, also, two rack shelves needed!! No thanks. And I never claim ‘night and day’ changes, they largely do not exist - although I would possibly admit that for BluDave. Maybe my Blade 2’s as well.......... :wink:

Shame it took you so long! I’ve already settled my cables and (unsightly, rigid, heavy, inflexible) ferrites.

What’s the cost of some extras shelving Malc? And if someone were to say to you that they’d doubt that adding a Blu II to the Dave would be noticeably better, without having listened first, what would your response be? Come on, that line you drew must surely be wavering :ksc75smile:

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #3,555 of 4,904
What’s the cost of some extras shelving Malc? And if someone were to say to you that they’d doubt that adding a Blu II to the Dave would be noticeably better, without having listened first, what would your response be? Come on, that line you drew must surely be wavering :ksc75smile:

Nice try! But it’s game over for me - my setup sounds incredibly close to a real live experience now, so there cannot really be anywhere else to go. Last weekend, I made my wife jump out of her skin. I had some solo guitar piece playing in the lounge and, when I walked into the kitchen to get a drink, she was shocked because she had assumed that it was me playing in the lounge. It was very amusing but, as we both listened, it did sound exactly like someone was in the lounge playing my guitar. I really like solo cello pieces as well and with some of those, if you close your eyes, the player is right there in the room with you and you can hear them groan as they reach over their instrument and their clothes rustle and chair creaks as they play. It is hard to discern from reality. I could go on.........

I now happily live in a totally GAS free environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back