Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 1, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #3,333 of 4,904
No that's not me! I don't know how much of an improvement more taps would make. And certainly my expectation would be that as you increase tap length, the changes would get smaller and converge onto no change at all. This is where Davina ADC will tell me for certain where we are on this...
Perhaps more taps will benifit 24 bit files, perfect 20 bit resolution?

May 1, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #3,334 of 4,904
That may tie in with the rumours, apparently M scaler is done and in a TT size/ type case. It will apparently be 'different' from Blu2 which is a bit cryptic, (2million taps perhaps)who knows.
Hopefully all will be revealed at Munich

An M Scaler in a TT type box would be acceptable for sure. Still can’t understand why anyone with a Blu2 would be upset about such a thing. The cheaper the standalone M Scaler is the more valuable it implies the cd transport in the Blu2 is. The only Blu2 owners who might shed a tear of remorse are those rich enough or impulsive enough to have bought a Blu2 but who don’t use it to play CDs. But they have had hours of happy fun with ferrites, whereas us patient only rich enough to splash £8k on a DAVE types have had to twiddle our thumbs.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #3,335 of 4,904
I know Blu 2 has galvanic isolation on the BNC outputs but there is still "some" leakage. I was curious if the USB input on Blu 2 also has galvanic isolation as a further protection measure to reduce what can get downstream to DAVE? Or is the isolation of the BNC output enough essentially meaning you can use a cheap printer USB cable with no ferrites and it won't make any difference?

May 1, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #3,337 of 4,904
Assuming m-scaler has optical input, how much of the RFI (ground plane noise) issue goes away when you still need to connect 2 bnc's between the m-scaler to dave? In other words, does the m-scaler become less of an RFI noise maker with its optical input?

May 3, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #3,340 of 4,904
I know Blu 2 has galvanic isolation on the BNC outputs but there is still "some" leakage. I was curious if the USB input on Blu 2 also has galvanic isolation as a further protection measure to reduce what can get downstream to DAVE? Or is the isolation of the BNC output enough essentially meaning you can use a cheap printer USB cable with no ferrites and it won't make any difference?
I'm looking for a way to get my aurender n100 -> usb -> blu2 -> dual bnc -> Dave, to sound as good as cd's from blu2 to Dave. Thinking about the audiophilleo 1 or 2 and the pure power adapter to eliminate the noise from the aurender.

May 4, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #3,341 of 4,904
I'm looking for a way to get my aurender n100 -> usb -> blu2 -> dual bnc -> Dave, to sound as good as cd's from blu2 to Dave. Thinking about the audiophilleo 1 or 2 and the pure power adapter to eliminate the noise from the aurender.
I wonder if most of the leakage noise is coming from the router that your Aurender is connected to via the Ethernet cable. If you don’t want to make a DIY ground cable, you should ground the router that the N100 is connected to using say an iFi Groundhog as that may significantly reduce the leakage current noise coming from the N100 to a point that you may no longer be able to tell the difference between CD and N100.

May 4, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #3,342 of 4,904
I wonder if most of the leakage noise is coming from the router that your Aurender is connected to via the Ethernet cable. If you don’t want to make a DIY ground cable, you should ground the router that the N100 is connected to using say an iFi Groundhog as that may significantly reduce the leakage current noise coming from the N100 to a point that you may no longer be able to tell the difference between CD and N100.
For what its worth I've never got my N10 usb to sound like Blu2's drive, the coax and other good external drives yes, the usb came close but not quite. Since I'm happy with the coax I never tried to go further with the usb. In my secondary system (Hugo2) the N100h is usb only and i'm experimenting to see if there are improvements to be had. in both systems the ethernet cable is not grounded to the Aurenders.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,343 of 4,904
For what its worth I've never got my N10 usb to sound like Blu2's drive, the coax and other good external drives yes, the usb came close but not quite. Since I'm happy with the coax I never tried to go further with the usb. In my secondary system (Hugo2) the N100h is usb only and i'm experimenting to see if there are improvements to be had. in both systems the ethernet cable is not grounded to the Aurenders.
That is why I'm strongly considering a usb to bnc converter with separate power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back