Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Apr 2, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,066 of 1,746
  Thanks for the reply. The issue is random and minutes can go by without any crackle. I'll try again with either YouTube or Tidal. When crackling occurs it's never in the same place.

I'll also try my iPhone connected via CCK and USB, but my iPhone 7 doesn't work with my Starting Point Systems DAC 3 even with a powered hub.

If it is 'random' then it is probably due to temporary pauses in the music stream coming from the PC.
Many users have experienced similar with phones, and sometimes with Pcs and other music sources.

The pause is usually caused by the Pc (or phone) settings giving priority to a screen update, or other internal process.
If the problem suddenly appears, it can be due to an android or windows update overwriting the user settings that were working well before. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,067 of 1,746
  If it is 'random' then it is probably due to temporary pauses in the music stream coming from the PC.
Many users have experienced similar with phones, and sometimes with Pcs and other music sources.

The pause is usually caused by the Pc (or phone) settings giving priority to a screen update, or other internal process.
If the problem suddenly appears, it can be due to an android or windows update overwriting the user settings that were working well before. 

dropouts, yeah to what you describe.  But crackle?  Sounds like power related issues.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,068 of 1,746

dropouts, yeah to what you describe.  But crackle?  Sounds like power related issues.

I occasionally get the odd bit of crackle when using computer USB, and I assume that it is some internal noise from the PC (maybe even with a mains power root cause) that travels via the USB cable, and into the Mojo (or the 2Qute in this case).
I get no noise when using optical input, strongly suggesting that the crackle is USB input related.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,069 of 1,746

I occasionally get the odd bit of crackle when using computer USB, and I assume that it is some internal noise from the PC (maybe even with a mains power root cause) that travels via the USB cable, and into the Mojo (or the 2Qute in this case).
I get no noise when using optical input, strongly suggesting that the crackle is USB input related.

If it's USB, is it worth sending to Chord for investigation? The crackling is faint, like light dust on a record but not severe pops. The volume is set quite loud as I've lost some hearing on the left side so crackling is audible at the start of a track. 

Is there a way of adding optical output to a PC?

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,070 of 1,746
  If it's USB, is it worth sending to Chord for investigation? The crackling is faint, like light dust on a record but not severe pops. The volume is set quite loud as I've lost some hearing on the left side so crackling is audible at the start of a track. 

Sounds like a vinyl or poor remastered analog drop?  Or a speaker/amp giving out?  You really need to pinpoint the problem in your system before putting the blame on the DAC.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,071 of 1,746

My desktop PC has optical output, but it does use a 10 year old motherboard. I am hoping that the motherboard never fails.

I think that there are USB to optical converters available

Also http://www.head-fi.org/t/750562/how-to-convert-usb-to-optical-audio 

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #1,072 of 1,746

Sounds like a vinyl or poor remastered analog drop?  Or a speaker/amp giving out?  You really need to pinpoint the problem in your system before putting the blame on the DAC.

I don't use vinyl, only CDs or other computer music. I've eliminated the amplifier and headphones as the problem occurs with both my Stax and Sennheiser equipment.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,073 of 1,746
  I don't use vinyl, only CDs or other computer music. I've eliminated the amplifier and headphones as the problem occurs with both my Stax and Sennheiser equipment.

The interconnects?  Dirty power source?

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #1,074 of 1,746

The interconnects?  Dirty power source?

The 2Qute is plugged into a multi-point mains adapter with 5 other devices, but I thought that this DAC, unlike its predecessor, isn't affected by power issues. I'm in the UK and power supply is generally reliable. 

The RCA cable is supposed to be good quality but it's worth trying another.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,075 of 1,746

The 2Qute is plugged into a multi-point mains adapter with 5 other devices, but I thought that this DAC, unlike its predecessor, isn't affected by power issues. I'm in the UK and power supply is generally reliable. 

The RCA cable is supposed to be good quality but it's worth trying another.

Yeah, but that switching power supply could be affecting the other components.  Many are finding the 2Qute power supply can be improved upon.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,076 of 1,746

Yeah, but that switching power supply could be affecting the other components.  Many are finding the 2Qute power supply can be improved upon.

I don't understand about switching power supplies. There are 6 pigs at the same trough so things may get messy. 

Would a TeraDak DC-30W linear power supply as advertised on eBay be worth trying? An MCRU power supply is too expensive for me.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #1,078 of 1,746
Finally had a chance to test out the dual Uptone LPS-1's in a series as the 2Qute power supply. 
First off I added an isolation transformer 1kVA with a 20amp power strip no breaker.  This made a huge overall improvement in sound even with the switching power supply for the 2Qute.  But the overall bass was a bit heavy/muddy, until I switched out the power supply with the LPS-1's.  What a difference, beautiful black background, overall exact tempo and balance throughout the audio range.  Definitely a keeper. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,079 of 1,746
This weekend I tried the Sbooster plus Ultra and the iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 on my system (Mac Mini, 2Qute, Violectric V280, HE1000 V2) and no matter how hard I tried or wanted that I would notice a difference: I didn't notice any change at all. I concluded that I don't have golden ears, but also that I could spend my money better on anything else (audio related of course).

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,080 of 1,746
Some times i get weird little cracks and pops using Mojo through usb on Windows10 sometimes i wont even get sound i have to restart mulitple times to fix it, ill be permanently switching to a dap as a transport soon.

Windows is horrible for audio, nasty really it needs a good update to bring it 40 years up to date. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back