Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #586 of 1,746

Are you still planning on putting up this thread? This will be my next upgrade - to go to DSD, and so far I'm leaning towards the Jriver, especially if the next version looks "other than Windows". I hope that the thread is about "Jriver settings" for the 2 Qute.

My apologies as I dropped the idea due to a lack of response. I'm using Media Center 20 and have not looked into the next version yet.

Also, I'm using Window's 7 and setting up Jriver for it is so very simple.

1. Open up Jriver.
2. Under Player choose 'play back options'.
3. Under digital output select 'Chord - WASAPI'
4. Under Settings choose Bitstreaming and check DSD.

Your done.

I'm sure OK-GUY can help you or knows who can for other's.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #587 of 1,746
  My apologies, if this has been answered before. I am thinking of getting the new Mac mini which has USB 3 connections. Should I expect a drop in sound quality, or no difference, vs USB 2 with my 2Qute?

Hi,
     No you will have no loss of sound quality using a USB 3 port even with USB 2 connections.

So it turns out that the issue is not the quality of the sound.....

http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/apple-messes-up-usb-30-audio-big-time.html

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #588 of 1,746
Is anybody here using a Chord 2Qute with a MacBook Pro15 13" to a tube amp? I'm presently using a Peachtree DAC•ITx to a Woo WA6, and I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #590 of 1,746
I have been reading about this DAC and like its design especially the discrete class A output . But I also noticed that several people commented on the earth the Chord 2Qute not having one and only a two pin mains connector that too I agree with as earth induced noise can cause problems . While this isnt emphasized in the US it is "big time " in the UK and has been for decades reams of info have been published comments by the 1000 over many decades . This ties up with my own findings which were initiated by a now departed UK power amp designer way back in the late 70,s he too produced an amplifier without an earth but had to install an earth due to UK regulations. I notice too the comments on galvanic isolation of USB and some comments on the co-axial BNC socket "not as good " if the philosophy of the designer is correct this is down to whatever is attached to the DAC . If you have a garden then a suggestion is a direct feed via a military transmitter co-ax -low capacitance /inductance /low resistance connected to an earth spike about 6 feet down the co ax shielding connected only to the spike end . The only problem is like a 1930,s tube radio earth if the ground is dry you had to water it to reduce the resistance.. Thats just one method its a subject that has many angles.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #591 of 1,746
COMPETITION TIME

Our London Underground campaign has begun and to celebrate we're offering you a chance to win a Mojo. To enter just find one of the 26 sites on the central London tube network, take a selfie, and publish it on your Facebook (not forgetting to tag us in). Competition ends in two weeks time.
 ​
Happy hunting!
 ​

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #592 of 1,746
Is anybody here using a Chord 2Qute with a MacBook Pro15 13" to a tube amp? I'm presently using a Peachtree DAC•ITx to a Woo WA6, and I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks

I am using a 2qute with Auralic Aries and Primaluna Prologue Premium Tube amp and the 2Qute works
very well with this tube amplifier .A tube amp and the 2 qute seem very complimentary to me 

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #593 of 1,746
I am using a 2qute with Auralic Aries and Primaluna Prologue Premium Tube amp and the 2Qute works
very well with this tube amplifier .A tube amp and the 2 qute seem very complimentary to me 
Thanks for your response JD.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #594 of 1,746
Just bought one 2 days ago  -my equipment - Cyrus xtse2+ pu -own built buffer using high quality audio chips - Stax 727 mk2 -heavily modified by me -Stax omega 2 mk 1 earspeakers . I found it to be very open and clear reproducing exactly whats on my cd,s great detail and contrary to some reports excellent bass a real musical presentation . But for those looking for something to cover up flaws in their equipment this isnt it or to make cd,s or any other musical medium that has been recorded with music of low recording techniques this will not do it. Faithful reproduction is what it is about and also the longer its on the better it gets -very happy so far.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #595 of 1,746

I bought a 2Qute the other day from Art's Excellence in Holland,£/€ exchange rate very much in £'s favour,plus a great deal on USB cable as well as a super guy to deal with and delivery to UK within two days.No,I have absolutely no connection with the company.The point is,I was advised to let the unit burn in for two weeks,and not expect optimum performance for three months! I'll be back in the UK next week and eager to collect my 2Qute. A long anticipated purchase!

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #596 of 1,746
Not someone who just plugs a part in and thats it  I noticed that my system was now a bit too open for me personally . This is not in any way -shape or form caused by the 2Qute  as it only reproduces  what it is given ,no my Stax SRM-727-mk 2 which I have heavily modified from sounding -well laid back to very open  wasnt what I wanted . So I went the easiest way of making changes and in the process found out that  my Cyrus XTSE2 -platform was being shown up a bit by the 2Qute to resolve this I constructed various lengths of 75 ohm co-ax as well as various high quality commercial connectors . I tested them on my  Wayne Kerr digital bench LCR tester  for only capacitance  in a range of cables from 6PF to 0.5UF  , I added parallel caps to make up values I didnt to have already. I was surprised to find  that there was a very large difference in the reproduction  depending on the capacitance . As suspected the larger the capacitance the "smoother " the reproduction  this I whittled down to a sound I was happy with. So if any buyer of this great DAC  has equipment they think isnt reproducing exactly what they want then experiment with digital cables . You will find long cables have a higher capacitance and very short low this is usually the case although ,yes I know of others that dont fit that pattern . IT shows how great effect a cable connected to a high-fi system can have on the reproduction  if all the components are very open . I intentionally didnt test for inductance .

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #597 of 1,746

I bought a 2Qute the other day from Art's Excellence in Holland,£/€ exchange rate very much in £'s favour,plus a great deal on USB cable as well as a super guy to deal with and delivery to UK within two days.No,I have absolutely no connection with the company.The point is,I was advised to let the unit burn in for two weeks,and not expect optimum performance for three months! I'll be back in the UK next week and eager to collect my 2Qute. A long anticipated purchase!

i fancy one of these.
good price, cheers for posting.

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #598 of 1,746
I went to pick up my 2Qute yesterday after a long wait. :) I have encountered a problem, the LED-lights does not change on the USB when I change the sample rate. On the Coax and optical it changes seemingly without trouble. Is this something to be worried about, because if its only the light that is stuck and not the sample rate then that is no big problem. :) Im using foobar if that helps anything.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #600 of 1,746
If I have read this correctly: when using the USB input from eg a laptop, then part of the Chord 2Qute is powered by the laptop (via the USB).

If this is correct then is there "good practice" for unplugging the laptop into the 2Qute.

I use a Macbook Pro and iTunes and Bitperfect via USB into a Chord 2Qute which feeds into a pre-amp. I often disconnect the laptop from the USB cable to move the laptop to another room.

Everytime I disconnect the USB, I turn down the volume on the pre-amp and change input.

Is there anything else I should be doing? eg quit iTunes? e.g. Actually turn the Macbook off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back