Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #196 of 1,746
I was not trying to say it couldn't be the USB... I don't know enough about the isolation to comment on this too much. What I was trying to point out, is that not all small linux arm boxes have this problem.

Although the Wandboad and Cubox have the same chipset, they do differ in other ways(and I had to modify the Cubox version of Voyage MPD - MuBox to boot and work properly on my Wandboard, as well as recompile the kernel to make it realtime). As I said, there may be a difference in how the power supply is set up...(the Wandboard is a bit bigger after all).

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #198 of 1,746
$1795 was the last I heard.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #199 of 1,746
Dear all,

tempted by all these talk about the Chord 2Qute.  I am listening predominantly to classical music, so the talk about better detail and separation is very interesting.  

However there is still that little question about the output of the Chord 2Qute having a 3v output vs a 'normal' 2v for a cd player or 2.2v for the naim dac (rca).  How does that affect my pre-amp (202) volume control? Currently am on ndx + 202 and comfort region is 8.30 to 9 on the volume control.  Does tt mean that i have a lot more limited volume control on the 202, which impacts the clarity?  Or just dialling down the volume control but clarity is not impacted?  Based on the specifications there is a THD at 3v and THD at 2v.  Does that imply that the voltage output of the 2Qute can be controlled?  Hope to hear from those who have heard the 2Qute in their system/demo room, or Mr Watts himself.  Or is it a must that I should get the Hugo and attempt to down the volume to an output of 2.2v? Thanks!

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #200 of 1,746
  Dear all,

tempted by all these talk about the Chord 2Qute.  I am listening predominantly to classical music, so the talk about better detail and separation is very interesting.  

However there is still that little question about the output of the Chord 2Qute having a 3v output vs a 'normal' 2v for a cd player or 2.2v for the naim dac (rca).  How does that affect my pre-amp (202) volume control? Currently am on ndx + 202 and comfort region is 8.30 to 9 on the volume control.  Does tt mean that i have a lot more limited volume control on the 202, which impacts the clarity?  Or just dialling down the volume control but clarity is not impacted?  Based on the specifications there is a THD at 3v and THD at 2v.  Does that imply that the voltage output of the 2Qute can be controlled?  Hope to hear from those who have heard the 2Qute in their system/demo room, or Mr Watts himself.  Or is it a must that I should get the Hugo and attempt to down the volume to an output of 2.2v? Thanks!

Hi I think this is a question for Naim.

I recall them saying on the forum a while back that all their preamps can accept upto 6 volts. 

I would request Naim to change the input sensitivity on the 202 preamp (I also have one) to make it more like Nait XS or Supernait.

Anyway please let us know what Naim say about this.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #202 of 1,746
  Dear all,

Although more expensive the Hugo has more advantages. It can be used as a headphone amp, and is portable. You don't need to use the power supply with it.

So I can use it in my main rig, on my bedside table, and while watching movies next to my TV. Can bring to my office also and use in the car.

I know the 2qute is less expensive but for me the portability of the Hugo is well worth it. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #203 of 1,746
Apr 22, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #204 of 1,746
Anyone have experience how 2Qute or Hugo stacks up against Schiit's DACs, namely Bifrost Uber?

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #205 of 1,746
Anyone have experience how 2Qute or Hugo stacks up against Schiit's DACs, namely Bifrost Uber?

Hmmmm ...  A $579.00 dac vs a $1795.00 dac. I wonder?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. If it sound's like I was being a smart%^&*#**, I assure you I was only kidding.

You asked a valid question. The Hugo is an extraordinary dac/amp at it's price and the 2Qute is the Hugo with minor differences.

If it would fit in your finances then I would go for the 2Qute. I would think the real question will be the 2Qute vs Yggdrasil.  

As far as differences in sound signature couldn't tell you because I don't have one!!! Argh  ....... Chord get the lead out!!

I could be wrong (What do I know?) but the 2Qute will smoke the Uber. There may be others who could chime in here but I suspect it will be the same answer.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #206 of 1,746
I'm curious as Schiit is often regarded as a giant killer. 2Qute is definitely on my radar, but opinions of people with experience with both DACs would be awesome.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #207 of 1,746
I'm curious as Schiit is often regarded as a giant killer. 2Qute is definitely on my radar, but opinions of people with experience with both DACs would be awesome.
I'm curious too about the differences between the 2qute and the new Schitt Yaggi. I demoed the Hugo and it sounded fabulous, but when I heard about the 2Qute I passed on the Hugo because a dedicated home DAC is what I really needed.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #208 of 1,746
  I dunno but my gut tells me that the whole "input sensitivity" thing with NAIM is a bunch of FUD being propagated by NAIM to protect sales of their expensive and mediocre NAIM DAC V-1.

Here is a Chord vs. V-1 discussion going on the NAIM forum...the 3v thing is brought up by someone again...

Actually it is me who brought it up. I don't work for Naim.  This issue is an issue with some older Naim pre-amps, and those who own those amps know about it. The newer Naim preamps have been sorted out.

The Hugo is more expensive but bought it since it has variable output. I don't think Naim have anything to worry about, and the 2qute is already sold out, and will keep being sold out. Buy yours early !

Just wait for the next what hi-fi review where it will get 5 stars, and win the product of the year. The 2qute will be sold out for the next few years. 

I haven't heard it, but since I understand it sounds identical to the Hugo that's what I expect.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #209 of 1,746

Actually it is me who brought it up. I don't work for Naim.  This issue is an issue with some older Naim pre-amps, and those who own those amps know about it. The newer Naim preamps have been sorted out.

The Hugo is more expensive but bought it since it has variable output. I don't think Naim have anything to worry about, and the 2qute is already sold out, and will keep being sold out. Buy yours early !

Just wait for the next what hi-fi review where it will get 5 stars, and win the product of the year. The 2qute will be sold out for the next few years. 

I haven't heard it, but since I understand it sounds identical to the Hugo that's what I expect.

Gee, your not very optimistic. "Sold out for the next few years"? By that time there will be something new and the 2Qute wannabe's will already have shifted gears. So, there it is; I don't believe that will happen since there's no shortage of Hugo's. A long wait maybe but I think they will pull through.

I have a question myself; will the 3v RMS work with all amps? A little extra boost may be not be a bad thing.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #210 of 1,746
I have a question myself; will the 3v RMS work with all amps?

I am wondering the same thing.
I have had a 2Qute for a few days. And it mostly sounds good. However all material sounds a little dynamically compressed (music sounds 'loud') and high hats sound very metallic. This doesn't align with anyone else's experiences and I'm wondering if my tube pre-amp is being overdriven by too high an input voltage?

Note that the 2Qute replaced a Chord Qute EX, which sounded great without these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back