Chord Anni
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #46 of 564
BTW, How’s the middlingly-reviewed IE900 treating you? Does it suddenly develop mids when you connect it to that $900 cable?

No idea. I just use the cable as jewellery.

20210825_102144.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #50 of 564
That devolved quickly. So with the Anni coming out…does anyone think we might get a sequel to the Qutest? It’s been out awhile.

I honestly don't see a new Qutest anytime soon. I love the fact that Chord is committed to this smaller desktop form factor with Qutest, Huei and now Anni. I'd love to see a upscaler for the Qutest in the same size as the rest of the line. I think that could easily extend the life of Qutest which in my opinion is still the best DAC in the sub $2000.00 price point.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #51 of 564
I honestly can’t fault that use. Although if you stick to $30 Amazon cables, your money goes further…

5B4B618D-7342-4211-8016-DDE65E9FF07F.jpeg

Look, here’s a simple experiment. Check the time on a $10,000 mechanical watch and a $50 quartz watch. Assuming the same time zone, your eyes will show identical time of day from both watches. It’s just time. Now if you want to debate that the engineering will be higher on the hand-made Rolex vs the Amazon special, sure… They may very well be. But again, this is old tech. We pretty much nailed the concept of time centuries ago.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #52 of 564
Look, here’s a simple experiment. Check the time on a $10,000 mechanical watch and a $50 quartz watch. Assuming the same time zone, your eyes will show identical time of day from both watches. It’s just time. Now if you want to debate that the engineering will be higher on the hand-made Rolex vs the Amazon special, sure… They may very well be. But again, this is old tech. We pretty much nailed the concept of time centuries ago.
Honestly wasn’t even thinking about the watch. That wasn’t an attempt to flex or whatever. Merely jokingly point out that if you really want to buy cables as jewelry, then your money goes further if you aren’t hung up on kilobuck cables.

But to your point, for most people, a cable isn’t jewelry. It’s an audio equipment connector. It’s functional. Conversely, in 2021, a watch isn’t for telling time. You have a phone for that. A watch is jewelry.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #53 of 564
Conversely, in 2021, a watch isn’t for telling time. You have a phone for that. A watch is jewelry.
Actually…that is your opinion. For you it’s jewelry. For me it’s much faster to check the time on a watch on my wrist vs. a phone that’s screen is off in my pocket.

That said…can we stop the bickering in this thread? I don’t even remember which of you is arguing for what at this point. It’s now just filler.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #54 of 564
Honestly wasn’t even thinking about the watch. That wasn’t an attempt to flex or whatever.

Right... the sole purpose of owning a Rolex is to flex, what else is it good for? Nothing wrong with flexing but own it like a man when you do. Don't squirm around w/ some obvious guise of humility. Hilarious.

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #55 of 564
Honestly wasn’t even thinking about the watch. That wasn’t an attempt to flex or whatever. Merely jokingly point out that if you really want to buy cables as jewelry, then your money goes further if you aren’t hung up on kilobuck cables.

But to your point, for most people, a cable isn’t jewelry. It’s an audio equipment connector. It’s functional. Conversely, in 2021, a watch isn’t for telling time. You have a phone for that. A watch is jewelry.
Actually, some people buy cables because they look pretty; I know I am one of them.

Conversely, I use my watch to tell the time, even though I have a phone for that.

Let's return to the topic of the Qutest, shall we?

I honestly don't see a new Qutest anytime soon. I love the fact that Chord is committed to this smaller desktop form factor with Qutest, Huei and now Anni. I'd love to see a upscaler for the Qutest in the same size as the rest of the line. I think that could easily extend the life of Qutest which in my opinion is still the best DAC in the sub $2000.00 price point.
I agree. Unless the revised model adopts the same form factor and design of the current version, the Qutest appears to be the matching Chord DAC for the Anni.

Hence, unless I am mistaken, Chord is looking to increase the lifespan of this device by expanding its ecosystem, as opposed to supplanting it outright. After all, even though the Qutest isn't exactly in its spring years, it isn't that old in the tooth either. It is reasonably middle-aged, IMO. We might see a new version in 2 years, though, but a new one in 2021, or even 2022? Nah, I don't think that's likely.

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #56 of 564
Aug 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #57 of 564
Right... the sole purpose of owning a Rolex is to flex, what else is it good for? Nothing wrong with flexing but own it like a man when you do. Don't squirm around w/ some obvious guise of humility. Hilarious.
Firstly, stop sniveling that I am responsible for some tacky descent into flexing. Nostoi opened that whole can of worms when he declared that I should “enjoy my budget setup”, insinuating that the only reason a person might not be sold on magical cables or a $10k SS amp isn’t because the science doesn’t support the notion that they make headphones sound better, but rather some sort of sour grapes due to a lack of funds.

Now, I’ll admit that I probably shouldn’t have engaged with him by listing my gear, and for that, I apologize to the whole thread.

But the only reason you’re attacking ME for HIS angle is because you are pissed at the guy who thinks you’re a science-denier who isn’t wise with your money. Which many would believe that you are. So own that. But again, WHO CARES? If buying a cable for a thousand bucks makes you happy, go for it. There are guys who’ve never seen a race track who spend $100k on Formula 1 type carbon-injected ceramic wheels for their Ferraris. It’s a hobby, if it makes you happy, cool. So be happy, and don’t lose your mind if someone else thinks spending that money on racing car wheels (or a cable) is a bit daft.

And just to be clear, the sole purpose of owning a Rolex should be investment/wearable currency. They appreciate rapidly due to their scarcity. It becomes wearable currency, which for some people, particularly those with jobs that take them all over the globe, is a good thing to have. You have a job that expects a suit and a watch, so you need a watch anyway? You spend a lot of time in emerging markets that are prone to natural disasters, coups, what have you? Get a Rolex. It pays for itself, and it can get you out of a jam if needed.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #58 of 564
Hence, unless I am mistaken, Chord is looking to increase the lifespan of this device by expanding its ecosystem, as opposed to supplanting it outright. After all, even though the Qutest isn't exactly in its spring years, it isn't that old in the tooth either. It is reasonably middle-aged, IMO. We might see a new version in 2 years, though, but a new one in 2021, or even 2022? Nah, I don't think that's likely.
Ok...maybe time for me to buy a Qutest...I've been mulling it over for a bit.

And just to be clear, the sole purpose of owning a Rolex should be investment/wearable currency. They appreciate rapidly due to their scarcity. It becomes wearable currency, which for some people, particularly those with jobs that take them all over the globe, is a good thing to have. You have a job that expects a suit and a watch, so you need a watch anyway? You spend a lot of time in emerging markets that are prone to natural disasters, coups, what have you? Get a Rolex. It pays for itself, and it can get you out of a jam if needed.
Ethan? Ethan Hunt? Is that you? :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #59 of 564
Actually, some people buy cables because they look pretty; I know I am one of them.
As I said in literally my first post in this thread:

“I’ve been known to buy an expensive cable or two simply because they look and feel great, while simultaneously not believing the stuff about how it will completely upgrade the sound of my headphone”

I’ve never said there’s anything wrong with buying a cable because it’s pretty, or feels particularly good. And how a cable feels can even segue into actual performance… Microphonics is a demonstrable thing, after all. In fact, I’ve never said there’s anything wrong with buying a thousand dollar cable because you think it will do something science says it can’t. For the what, fifth time? Sixth? I will say this… If it makes you happy, go for it. I’m not going to believe it makes your headphones sound better. A lot of people won’t. And a lot will. It is what it is. No use getting mad over it.

Guys with conviction about something don’t get mad if people disagree with that something. So if people pony up the cash for the expensive cable or the pricy SS amp because they believe it will change their headphones for the better, then they should have the courage of conviction to stand by their purchase and their belief. And if Joe Random opines in an online forum for discussing the pros and cons of specific audio equipment that the cable or amp is not a magic bullet, don’t get bent out of shape by that opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back