Chord Anni
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #231 of 564
I can’t see how. The Anni has a 12V Dc output. Qutest requires 5V Dc input.
This is covered to some degree in the review linked earlier. I still ended up still scratching my head over the 12 vs 5 volts issue. Can't find a simple photograph of the setup anywhere. Chord has come up short in their manuals on this topic but they are masters in brevity. It always comes together when you see the product in hand. Problem is it seems no posters here have been hands on yet. I have one on order and the dealer has updated me to late October/early November until they receive any. Chord introduced the Anni to the public last weekend. Maybe a forum member attended the show and will post. Chord says it only needs the one power source source so it will no doubt be the case. In my limited experience Chord delivers. My Qutest is in a new stand mounted over the Anni stand... ready to go and counting the days!

ChordQutest.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #232 of 564
Ok I didn’t see that review. It seems that there is a custom power link provided which has a a 5V USB spur (presumably with a resistor in series to reduce the voltage). Sloppy work by Chord to completely omit any information about this in the manual.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #233 of 564
Has anyone tried the mscaler, qutest, anni trio vs just the anni, qutest combo for headphone listening? I demo'ed the qutest and anni earlier today with hi end headphones and was very impressed. Think the best of mojo and Hugo 2 combined. At present i use a dave with Oppo PM1 headphones but can't afford the mscaler. The mscaled qutest with anni trio would result in a complete end game system and i'm thinking of selling my dave to fund it.

The dave without mscaler is a problem for me as i was running an mscaled Hugo 2 and TT2 before and the music is just not the same without the mscaler. I need to dig around more on the qutest thread for impressions of the mscaler with qutest for headphone listening. Any advice here is also much appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #234 of 564
:relaxed:

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #235 of 564
Has anyone tried the mscaler, qutest, anni trio vs just the anni, qutest combo for headphone listening? I demo'ed the qutest and anni earlier today with hi end headphones and was very impressed. Think the best of mojo and Hugo 2 combined. At present i use a dave with Oppo PM1 headphones but can't afford the mscaler. The mscaled qutest with anni trio would result in a complete end game system and i'm thinking of selling my dave to fund it.

The dave without mscaler is a problem for me as i was running an mscaled Hugo 2 and TT2 before and the music is just not the same without the mscaler. I need to dig around more on the qutest thread for impressions of the mscaler with qutest for headphone listening. Any advice here is also much appreciated.
You're not finding the Dave alone, better than a M-Scaled TT2? I moved up from a TT2 to the Dave, like you but kept my M-Scaler. A M-Scaled Dave is ridiculous when it comes to sound reproduction. So I get why you want the HMS in your setup. Outside of power, I can't see the Qutest/Anni/HMS being better than the Dave. This is just me as I have moved up the Chord DAC chain.

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #236 of 564
I would love a Dave. No chance of getting one until Dave2 comes out and used values drop.
If I was in your shoes I would find another solution to fill the m scaler gap instead of selling the Dave. For example you could try HQ Player on a nice server in the interim period. When funds allow you could add another HMS.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #237 of 564
I'm also in a strange situation that after auditioning many different £1000 to £3000 range hi end headphones from many different well known brands until now the only one i have found which sits comfortably on my head are the oppo pm1's for which i have purchased a rather elaborate hand made silver headphone cable which expands the soundstage nicely. There are a number of headphones in the £200 to £500 range which are very comfortable for me but they would be pointless in pairing with dave as they would generally not be resolving enough of the source. Another reason why i'm hesitant to go mscaled dave and why the anni trio makes perfect sense with my pm1.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #238 of 564
Right now listening to your latest trick by dire straits with my pm1/dave and it sounds so exquisitely smooth at 1am ish this morn.:gs1000smile:

Next up interstellar soundtrack. The anni flavour is definitely coming through the dave without any doubt but more likely the way it combines with qutest. I can definitely 'feel' anni/qutest with my dave. It's riveting and intoxicating. Maybe i should count my chickens lucky and just enjoy my dave/pm1 and to blows with what comes later. Andrew sell your server/tt2 and get a used or even new dave/mscaler?? For me this 'hobby' remains so relaxing to utilise but so hard to implement.

1634171729949.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #239 of 564

What made you swap the TT2 mscaler combo for a Dave alone?

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #240 of 564
The allure of dave was too overwhelming. Think of dave ownership as a milestone. The plan was to add the mscaler to dave to reach the pinnacle but the funds for that are dwindling away. The next step was a hi end headphone to compliment my pm1. Those after extensive auditioning are nowhere to be found due to my exacting comfort needs. At present i am suffering with dave solo and the pm1....:deadhorse:No it is a fantastic pairing (think very cinematic) but the anni, qutest, mscaler trio is niggling away at me a little as it would be a final solution. Ummm.. The tt2 also sounded a bit "heavy" to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back