Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Nov 3, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #6,181 of 6,290
With the 2go connected to either a Hugo 2 or TT2, an iPhone and
a) WiFi available: use gofigure to connect to the local WiFi. use (e.g.) Rigelian to browse/select your music on the SD card
b) WiFi not available: use gofigure to set the 2go into hotspot mode. Connect your phone to the WLAN provided by the 2go Hotspot. Use Rigelian to browse/select your music
(Rigelian is actually a nice app, which I would recomend for this setup)
sorry if I might sound pedantic. Trying Rigelian now, connected to 2go via hotspot, but the app can't find it automatically....

Should I use any particular protocol?

Attachments

• IMG_FB339B8ED22D-1.jpeg
    IMG_FB339B8ED22D-1.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 4, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #6,182 of 6,290
sorry if I might sound pedantic. Trying Rigelian now, connected to 2go via hotspot, but the app can't find it automatically....

MPD should work OK. That said I never found the 2Go or Poly connection 100% reliable when using hotspot mode, probably around 80% so I no longer use hotspot mode.

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #6,183 of 6,290

Yes, as MarkParity said, within Rigelian you use MPD.
Here some screenshots from my settings when using Hotspot mode (but most of the time I connect to the available local network).

First, use gofigure to assign the appropriate settings for the 2go. I also use gofigure to scan the SD card content once.
Afterwards select the Hotspot network provided by 2go in your phone.
Rigelian should find the MPD player, which runs on your 2go

Attachments

• 2023-11-04 08-39-33.jpg
    2023-11-04 08-39-33.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 08-39-50.jpg
    2023-11-04 08-39-50.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-05-00.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-05-00.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-06-12.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-06-12.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-08-00.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-08-00.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-08-34.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-08-34.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-09-04.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-09-04.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-09-54.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-09-54.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 09-11-25.jpg
    2023-11-04 09-11-25.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #6,185 of 6,290
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #6,186 of 6,290
Dear all, I‘d like to ask some questions wrt the 2go. I did a few searches here on this thread, but that didn‘t get me where I hope to get.

So, my basic deliberation is whether I should or should not expand my Hugo 2 by a 2go. Balancing the pros and cons (technical and price) isn‘t easy. Of course, I know the trivial answer to this, something like "it‘s all up to me and my hard-earned money" … but this isn‘t a profound answer.

Let me inform you:
  • My basic use of the Hugo 2 is as a DAC in a quasi-desktop setup, which has a number of digital sources on the front end, and a Violectric V281 headphone amp plus associates on the back end. At some later point in time, I am thinking of additionally employing the V281 as a preamp into power amps into loudspeakers.
  • I also use my Hugo 2 as a DAC/amp directly into headphones.
  • Up to now, I have laptops sitting right next to the Hugo 2, feeding it directly via USB or two-step via a USB-to-optical converter. Optical sounds better. Software on Windows is Roon, the streaming apps by Qobuz and (rarely) Tidal, foobar2000; on Linux mpd.
  • But now, the laptops were relocated to another room, away from the a.m. quasi-desktop setup.
  • My phone is an iPhone.
Thus I figure the 2go could be a decent streamer with my Hugo 2. I could run the Windows laptop as a Roon Core, and stream over the home WiFi directly to the 2go or add an Ethernet cable as the last meter from the WiFi repeater to the 2go. The Hugo 2/2go combo would alternatively sit in my quasi-desktop or be a transportable streamer/DAC/amp combo anywhere inside the house as well.

Additionally, I am thinking of ways to use my iPhone in this environment.

I do understand that the 2go has some deficiencies: 2.4 GHz WiFi only as the most prominent one, sort of preventing USB input to the combo, ancient Bluetooth, leaving USB-C type sockets to be desirable. Of these, only the omission of 5 GHz WiFi is a sizable deficiency in my opinion.

And it has been mentioned quite often that the GoFigure App (for me on iOS) even today is quite quirky and limited, to say the least. Hmmm?

I‘d be glad if you could comment on my thoughts lined out above.

These are some random questions and thoughts of mine:
  • Will my AVM Fritz home network (Germany, you know) with (A) close to 1Gbit/s on 5 GHz WiFi interconnects from router (7590) to repeater (2400, 1750) and (B) 2.4 GHz WiFi from last repeater to 2go, or (C) eventually Ethernet interconnect from last repeater to 2go be good enough for HiRes audio?
  • When the Hugo 2/2go combo is in my quasi-desktop setting, do both the H2 and the 2go get into what Chord calls desktop mode when continuously hooked up to mains power? I mean, do both batteries run in "trickle charge to 80% max" mode then?
  • I am pretty confident that Roon will be smooth sailing, with the Core/UI on my laptop streaming to the home network, and running Roon Arc or Roon Remote on my iPhone. Correct?
  • I suppose the Qobuz iOS App cannot directly interact with the 2go, decently? Except for running through Roon and maybe others (cf. below). I exclude Bluetooth, of course.
  • How about mconnect on the iPhone? Can I stream Qobuz and Tidal properly (any HiRes)? Could I access albums/tracks when I put SD cards into the 2go?
  • The exact same two questions for JPLAY on the iPhone!? Any experience out here with JPLAY on iOS and the 2go?
I should ask for your patience and your willingness to correct me as well as to help me out. I am just getting into the technicalities of streaming, in particular the world of (a) networking protocols, (b) what is supported by the hardware/firmware, and (c) what is supported by the software. Being a newbie in this area might be risky, given the price of a 2go.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #6,187 of 6,290
Dear all, I‘d like to ask some questions wrt the 2go. I did a few searches here on this thread, but that didn‘t get me where I hope to get.

So, my basic deliberation is whether I should or should not expand my Hugo 2 by a 2go. Balancing the pros and cons (technical and price) isn‘t easy. Of course, I know the trivial answer to this, something like "it‘s all up to me and my hard-earned money" … but this isn‘t a profound answer.

Let me inform you:
  • My basic use of the Hugo 2 is as a DAC in a quasi-desktop setup, which has a number of digital sources on the front end, and a Violectric V281 headphone amp plus associates on the back end. At some later point in time, I am thinking of additionally employing the V281 as a preamp into power amps into loudspeakers.
  • I also use my Hugo 2 as a DAC/amp directly into headphones.
  • Up to now, I have laptops sitting right next to the Hugo 2, feeding it directly via USB or two-step via a USB-to-optical converter. Optical sounds better. Software on Windows is Roon, the streaming apps by Qobuz and (rarely) Tidal, foobar2000; on Linux mpd.
  • But now, the laptops were relocated to another room, away from the a.m. quasi-desktop setup.
  • My phone is an iPhone.
Thus I figure the 2go could be a decent streamer with my Hugo 2. I could run the Windows laptop as a Roon Core, and stream over the home WiFi directly to the 2go or add an Ethernet cable as the last meter from the WiFi repeater to the 2go. The Hugo 2/2go combo would alternatively sit in my quasi-desktop or be a transportable streamer/DAC/amp combo anywhere inside the house as well.

Additionally, I am thinking of ways to use my iPhone in this environment.

I do understand that the 2go has some deficiencies: 2.4 GHz WiFi only as the most prominent one, sort of preventing USB input to the combo, ancient Bluetooth, leaving USB-C type sockets to be desirable. Of these, only the omission of 5 GHz WiFi is a sizable deficiency in my opinion.

And it has been mentioned quite often that the GoFigure App (for me on iOS) even today is quite quirky and limited, to say the least. Hmmm?

I‘d be glad if you could comment on my thoughts lined out above.

These are some random questions and thoughts of mine:
  • Will my AVM Fritz home network (Germany, you know) with (A) close to 1Gbit/s on 5 GHz WiFi interconnects from router (7590) to repeater (2400, 1750) and (B) 2.4 GHz WiFi from last repeater to 2go, or (C) eventually Ethernet interconnect from last repeater to 2go be good enough for HiRes audio?
  • When the Hugo 2/2go combo is in my quasi-desktop setting, do both the H2 and the 2go get into what Chord calls desktop mode when continuously hooked up to mains power? I mean, do both batteries run in "trickle charge to 80% max" mode then?
  • I am pretty confident that Roon will be smooth sailing, with the Core/UI on my laptop streaming to the home network, and running Roon Arc or Roon Remote on my iPhone. Correct?
  • I suppose the Qobuz iOS App cannot directly interact with the 2go, decently? Except for running through Roon and maybe others (cf. below). I exclude Bluetooth, of course.
  • How about mconnect on the iPhone? Can I stream Qobuz and Tidal properly (any HiRes)? Could I access albums/tracks when I put SD cards into the 2go?
  • The exact same two questions for JPLAY on the iPhone!? Any experience out here with JPLAY on iOS and the 2go?
I should ask for your patience and your willingness to correct me as well as to help me out. I am just getting into the technicalities of streaming, in particular the world of (a) networking protocols, (b) what is supported by the hardware/firmware, and (c) what is supported by the software. Being a newbie in this area might be risky, given the price of a 2go.
Great questions. In no particular order, if you get a 2Go…

1. Use the SD card functionality. It’s a clear step above other options for sound quality. Quieter and smoother.

2. Plug 2Go into Ethernet and use Roon if you have it. No dropouts, no interaction with GoFigure beyond the initial set up.

3. If not Rion and you want to use your phone, use Ethernet and then M Connect for Qobuz and Rigelian for the SD card/s

4. Not sure about 2Go in desktop battery mode, sorry.

5. The above is my use case and it’s been flawless. Hugo2Go into a headphone amp and out to power amp and speakers. When I unplug and use it around the house I use my home wifi and it’s very good, but not quite as solid as Ethernet.

I hope that helps!

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #6,188 of 6,290
Great questions. In no particular order, if you get a 2Go…

1. Use the SD card functionality. It’s a clear step above other options for sound quality. Quieter and smoother.

2. Plug 2Go into Ethernet and use Roon if you have it. No dropouts, no interaction with GoFigure beyond the initial set up.

3. If not Rion and you want to use your phone, use Ethernet and then M Connect for Qobuz and Rigelian for the SD card/s

4. Not sure about 2Go in desktop battery mode, sorry.

5. The above is my use case and it’s been flawless. Hugo2Go into a headphone amp and out to power amp and speakers. When I unplug and use it around the house I use my home wifi and it’s very good, but not quite as solid as Ethernet.

I hope that helps!
Thanks a lot, @AussieMick, your profound answers and recommendations certainly do help a lot.

I hope you don't mind being asked a few more questions about the 2go and your use case, which looks very similar to what I am pondering. 2go on Ethernet and using Roon would look like a piece of cake. I do have Roon, using it on my Windows laptop and my iPhone (ARC and Remote) ... don't know whether going forward we are looking at a brighter or darker future of Roon after being acquired by Harman (Samsung) ...

(A) I am not sure whether I understand the SD card functionality in full. In fact, this feature is quite an attractive one.
  1. Could you please explain in more detail how this use case of "2go with SD cards" and "Rigelian on the iPhone" works and how it should be handled?
  2. I am familiar with mpd on my Linux laptop. My use case with it is running the mpd service (as server/player as I call it) and a graphical mpd client/user interface (Cantata in my case).
  3. From the Rigelian description on the Apple AppStore, I gather Rigelian (also) is an mpd client, a graphical one at that. Correct?
  4. Who/what in the case of 2go+Hugo 2 plus iPhone acts as the mpd server, who/what as the mpd player?
  5. Would it be correct to think that an mpd server is embedded in the 2go firmware? Would it be correct to think that Rigelian on the iPhone lets me look at the SD cards' contents by folders, albums, artists etc? Would it be correct to think that within Rigelian I can do a "play from folder" or "play an album" from the SD cards, just like I do in Cantata on my Linux laptop?
  6. Would it be correct in general to never have to use the Chord GoFigure App (iOS) after initial setup of the 2go? I figure that app is a bit awkward ...

(B) Qobuz is my streaming source of choice, both with their stand-alone apps (on all platforms, Windows, iOS, Android) and within Roon.
  1. You mention the MConnect player on the iPhone in order to access Qobuz when not using Roon. I understand the MConnect description on the AppStore.
  2. I suppose you got MConnect to work correctly on an iPhone when accessing Qobuz.
  3. I have a first experience with MConnect (even the paid version) on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB and iOS 17.1.1 - not a nice experience though. I tried it with the iPhone in stand-alone, outputting either to the phone speakers or to an outboard dongle DAC. It does access the Qobuz pages/tabs, but the replay didn't yet work too well for me. Starting a track would sometimes send MConnect to an endless wait spinner, scrolling forward or hitting the next-track button would cause MConnect to do nothing and be inaccessible forever. All I could do is fully close the MConnect app and launch it again, just to get the same effects again.
  4. Not sure at all what this buggy behavior means, maybe it's an iOS 17 thing, maybe an iPhone 14 thing, maybe MConnect needs to be "optimized" for today's iOS (the developer seems to be quite an active one).
  5. But that is another story which (a) I would not like to deeply get into now, and (b) I would not ike to send you into now.

Thanks in advance for some more answers and explanations of yours, in particular regarding (A).

Cheers.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #6,189 of 6,290
Thanks a lot, @AussieMick, your profound answers and recommendations certainly do help a lot.

I hope you don't mind being asked a few more questions about the 2go and your use case, which looks very similar to what I am pondering. 2go on Ethernet and using Roon would look like a piece of cake. I do have Roon, using it on my Windows laptop and my iPhone (ARC and Remote) ... don't know whether going forward we are looking at a brighter or darker future of Roon after being acquired by Harman (Samsung) ...

(A) I am not sure whether I understand the SD card functionality in full. In fact, this feature is quite an attractive one.
  1. Could you please explain in more detail how this use case of "2go with SD cards" and "Rigelian on the iPhone" works and how it should be handled?
  2. I am familiar with mpd on my Linux laptop. My use case with it is running the mpd service (as server/player as I call it) and a graphical mpd client/user interface (Cantata in my case).
  3. From the Rigelian description on the Apple AppStore, I gather Rigelian (also) is an mpd client, a graphical one at that. Correct?
  4. Who/what in the case of 2go+Hugo 2 plus iPhone acts as the mpd server, who/what as the mpd player?
  5. Would it be correct to think that an mpd server is embedded in the 2go firmware? Would it be correct to think that Rigelian on the iPhone lets me look at the SD cards' contents by folders, albums, artists etc? Would it be correct to think that within Rigelian I can do a "play from folder" or "play an album" from the SD cards, just like I do in Cantata on my Linux laptop?
  6. Would it be correct in general to never have to use the Chord GoFigure App (iOS) after initial setup of the 2go? I figure that app is a bit awkward ...

(B) Qobuz is my streaming source of choice, both with their stand-alone apps (on all platforms, Windows, iOS, Android) and within Roon.
  1. You mention the MConnect player on the iPhone in order to access Qobuz when not using Roon. I understand the MConnect description on the AppStore.
  2. I suppose you got MConnect to work correctly on an iPhone when accessing Qobuz.
  3. I have a first experience with MConnect (even the paid version) on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB and iOS 17.1.1 - not a nice experience though. I tried it with the iPhone in stand-alone, outputting either to the phone speakers or to an outboard dongle DAC. It does access the Qobuz pages/tabs, but the replay didn't yet work too well for me. Starting a track would sometimes send MConnect to an endless wait spinner, scrolling forward or hitting the next-track button would cause MConnect to do nothing and be inaccessible forever. All I could do is fully close the MConnect app and launch it again, just to get the same effects again.
  4. Not sure at all what this buggy behavior means, maybe it's an iOS 17 thing, maybe an iPhone 14 thing, maybe MConnect needs to be "optimized" for today's iOS (the developer seems to be quite an active one).
  5. But that is another story which (a) I would not like to deeply get into now, and (b) I would not ike to send you into now.

Thanks in advance for some more answers and explanations of yours, in particular regarding (A).

Cheers.
A) you’ve got it. From Rigelian you can access the SD card and view by artist, album, etc, with the album covers if they’re there in your metadata. There are two micro SD card slots, each able to accept 2TB card. As long as your phone and 2Go are on the sane network Rigelian will find it automatically. The only time you will need GoFigure after setup is to switch between the two sd cards.
Sorry I can’t answer your other questions, I have no idea about such things. However, the fact I don’t know which is player or server, yet I have zero trouble using, is probably a good sign, no?

B) MConnect has been problem free for me on my iPhone 11 playing Qobuz. However, it can be slow sometimes and yes, sometimes requires a restart of the app.

Cheers!
Mick

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #6,190 of 6,290
A) you’ve got it. From Rigelian you can access the SD card and view by artist, album, etc, with the album covers if they’re there in your metadata. There are two micro SD card slots, each able to accept 2TB card. As long as your phone and 2Go are on the sane network Rigelian will find it automatically. The only time you will need GoFigure after setup is to switch between the two sd cards.
Sorry I can’t answer your other questions, I have no idea about such things. However, the fact I don’t know which is player or server, yet I have zero trouble using, is probably a good sign, no?

B) MConnect has been problem free for me on my iPhone 11 playing Qobuz. However, it can be slow sometimes and yes, sometimes requires a restart of the app.

Cheers!
Mick
Thanks a lot again, very helpful.
Cheers!

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #6,191 of 6,290
How are folks getting Spotify into their Hugo/2go combos? The lack of Spotify Connect support continues to be an ongoing irritant and the one thing I don't like about my Hugo2 set up. While I usually use Roon/Tidal/Qobuz, there are lots of Spotify playlists that I want to listen to without having to juggle them over Soundiiz to Tidal.

So I'm curious how those of you who Spotify manage it? Bluetooth? AirPlay? Or do you just resort to a different dongle DAC (as I do)?

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #6,192 of 6,290
How are folks getting Spotify into their Hugo/2go combos? The lack of Spotify Connect support continues to be an ongoing irritant and the one thing I don't like about my Hugo2 set up. While I usually use Roon/Tidal/Qobuz, there are lots of Spotify playlists that I want to listen to without having to juggle them over Soundiiz to Tidal.

So I'm curious how those of you who Spotify manage it? Bluetooth? AirPlay? Or do you just resort to a different dongle DAC (as I do)?
I don’t use Spotify mainly because they never released a lossless version. Yes Chord are slow implementing new features but compared to Spotify and their lossless tier product promises they are total beginners.

If I was using Spotify then the only options would be Airplay or Bluetooth.

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #6,194 of 6,290
Last I heard, the delay in implementing Spotify Connect was on the Spotify side, but lord knows it's been a long time now since it was promised. Sigh.
Wiim managed it on their range of products, I'm 99% sure this is all Chord, they are not a S/W company, this S/W is outsourced and adding Spotify will cost a fortune for very little return. Yes perhaps they will sell a few more 2Go's and Poly's but they won't get the investment back. I believe the 2Go and Poly firmware is different too so they have to do it and pay for it twice.

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #6,195 of 6,290
I don’t have a Hugo/2Go but I do have use of the Mojo/Poly combination so I would imagine the following should work for both in the same way.

I have only found a solution, so far, for Android and that’s an app called ‘HiFy’.

This is advertised as
HiFy: AirPlay+DLNA for Spotify

This creates, as advertised, a DLNA device that can be identified within Spotify, similar to other connected devices and or Chromecast/AirPlay devices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back